Plans for the weekend

On 09/09/2022 at 19:22, Granny Danger said:

Saturday:  long walk, lie out in sun, lunch, siesta, second walk, watch Barca, dinner, maybe wander out and have a drink or watch some cable tv.

Sunday: as Saturday except watching Barca.

I give you 6 months of paradise before you get bored and start asking if anyone wants a kitchen fitted.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I give you 6 months of paradise before you get bored and start asking if anyone wants a kitchen fitted.

Been here 8 months and not close to reaching boredom level.

Ironically we’re having a hard time getting someone to quote us for fitting a kitchen (and two new bathroom suites, and work re-tiling around the pool).  Post COVID the tradespeople are as busy as hell.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s a permanent move for us.  We have started the visa process; it’s a formality but takes five years to complete.

Did you have to get a residency waiver or something in the meantime? I'm thinking of ways of maybe spending 6 months a year over there or on the Med.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Did you have to get a residency waiver or something in the meantime? I'm thinking of ways of maybe spending 6 months a year over there or on the Med.

No you start the visa process and are considered a resident from the point it’s granted, albeit not a permanent one until the five years are up.

Pretty sure you won’t get any waiver in Spain though I think I read that Portugal are taking a less stringent position.

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

No you start the visa process and are considered a resident from the point it’s granted, albeit not a permanent one until the five years are up.

Pretty sure you won’t get any waiver in Spain though I think I read that Portugal are taking a less stringent position.

This might be an option for me if I cash in one of my pension funds.

image.thumb.png.2f080e7e53533db9483e25923f2184c0.png

https://www.immigrationspain.es/en/spanish-residency-for-uk-citizens/

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This might be an option for me if I cash in one of my pension funds.

image.thumb.png.2f080e7e53533db9483e25923f2184c0.png

https://www.immigrationspain.es/en/spanish-residency-for-uk-citizens/

That’s what we have, it’s not a waiver but rather the first part of the visa process for retirees.

It has to be renewed after the end of the first year then again after the end of the third year.

You could do it for a year (or any point up to a year I suppose) but you will be classed as a tax resident after six months and you will need private health insurance as it will void your NHS cover which is residency based.

You will also need to show residency by have a ‘permanent’ residence though this can be a rental but a series of hotels wouldn’t qualify.

25 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s what we have, it’s not a waiver but rather the first part of the visa process for retirees.

It has to be renewed after the end of the first year then again after the end of the third year.

You could do it for a year (or any point up to a year I suppose) but you will be classed as a tax resident after six months and you will need private health insurance as it will void your NHS cover which is residency based.

You will also need to show residency by have a ‘permanent’ residence though this can be a rental but a series of hotels wouldn’t qualify.

I'll probably start off with alternate 90 day periods over there and back here which I think is allowed without a visa/permit, and see how it goes. I'm likely fucked for health insurance due to pre-existing conditions. f**k Brexit.

P.S. This might be a health care option if I was moving over more permanently.

https://upsticks.es/healthcare-in-spain-what-is-the-convenio-especial/

Edited by welshbairn