Hibs v St Johnstone 21/10/22

Next up is the VAR intro. We had a great record away to Hibs for a while, then CD came in, beat them in the two cups but rubbish since. At least VAR will prevent us losing to a disputed Hibs goal. VAR will fix every wrong decision.

Interesting intiative the Friday evening fitba.

£10 and £5 tickets is v good value - partly as a thankyou for the excellent family pricing at McDairmid Pk.

Looks like a very good crowd (although there are bound to be some gaps as it might be a bit late for younger ST kids) somewhere north of 18000, with Hibs fans in the South next to the St J fans.

I believe St J have almost sold out their allocation too, so everyone might need to leave home a bit earlier to take account of the additional tractors.

30 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Stuart Cosgrove for some reason thinks that St Johnstone are going to be shafted by being the first team to have the VAR foisted on them. I think he has possibly forgotten that Hibs will be playing in the same game.

Fermers are more likely to benefit, as every red card incident for Hibs opponents will now be immediately overturned.

Papist conspiracy, imo

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Interesting intiative the Friday evening fitba.

£10 and £5 tickets is v good value - partly as a thankyou for the excellent family pricing at McDairmid Pk.

Looks like a very good crowd (although there are bound to be some gaps as it might be a bit late for younger ST kids) somewhere north of 18000, with Hibs fans in the South next to the St J fans.

I believe St J have almost sold out their allocation too, so everyone might need to leave home a bit earlier to take account of the additional tractors.

Saints have asked for more. 

Although in true Saints amateur style they've been tweeting this afternoon links to buy tickets with none available to buy even before they posted it. 

If Saints play like they have been. Give possession away like they have been. A pumping is in store. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

1 minute ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Saints have asked for more. 

Great news, so even with the required gap for segregation (not that its remotely needed in this match) it could be upwards of 19000 attendance which is brilliant for the game up here !

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Great news, so even with the required gap for segregation (not that its remotely needed in this match) it could be upwards of 19000 attendance which is brilliant for the game up here !

Have Hibs been selling the upper tier to their own fans? Otherwise that should be available 

3 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Have Hibs been selling the upper tier to their own fans? Otherwise that should be available 

Possibly, but sure they can split that as well (I dont pay that much attn, as I have a ST) and I dont think we would sell tickets above you guys anyway.

Fair point. 

I do wish they'd focus on filling the stadium first by lowering prices, even if it did have an impact on the quality of team we were able to field.

Having a sold out Easter Road each week would at the very least look great and hopefully make for more of an atmosphere. 

Only once near fully subscribed should prices be raised and thus trying to find an equilibrium.

Know its pie in the sky stuff but that approach just appeals more to me. 

Either way, two tickets for Friday night and my second game of the season so I'm relatively excited. 

9 hours ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

Fair point. 

I do wish they'd focus on filling the stadium first by lowering prices, even if it did have an impact on the quality of team we were able to field.

Having a sold out Easter Road each week would at the very least look great and hopefully make for more of an atmosphere. 

Only once near fully subscribed should prices be raised and thus trying to find an equilibrium.

Know its pie in the sky stuff but that approach just appeals more to me. 

Either way, two tickets for Friday night and my second game of the season so I'm relatively excited. 

Full stadia are also likely to improve sponsorship and of course there will be higher catering revenue (possibly even more so with late kick-offs, I'd imagine a fair few folk will be straight from work to the pub and then eat at the ground). 

Both this and the 'football for a fiver' that ER have been running seem to have been successful but Edinburgh is a much bigger catchment area. Can see a similar approach working for Hearts, Aberdeen, possibly Motherwell, Dundee for example. Not so sure it would make as much difference in e.g. Perth or Livingston. 

Normal price at Easter Road (and elsewhere) for a game v Saints = half empty stadium
Charge a tenner and a fiver and it is a near sellout 
Hmmm....

I know right?! Crazy.

I can’t make this one but hopefully the fans can create a better atmosphere than last time it was a fiver to get in. Full house but you could hear a pin drop, was very disappointing. Probably didn’t help that it was one of the most boring games to have ever been played in the history of football. Some shambolic use of VAR should get everyone going.

6 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I know right?! Crazy.

I can’t make this one but hopefully the fans can create a better atmosphere than last time it was a fiver to get in. Full house but you could hear a pin drop, was very disappointing. Probably didn’t help that it was one of the most boring games to have ever been played in the history of football. Some shambolic use of VAR should get everyone going.

Yeah that was really one of the dullest games I've ever seen.

Both teams appear better this season but maybe just both equally better and thus nullifying one another.

Just hope we don't bother with the opera at half-time again, although that said maybe it might strike a better chord on a dark Friday night with a couple drinks in me. 

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I know right?! Crazy.

I was abroad for that match but it didnt sound scintillating. I think this one is a better timed experiment - a better time of the season etc?

Unrelated to your post, and on the money side of things - Hibs spent something like £1.7m upgrading the (fairly tired) hospitality areas at ER over the summer. There are a number of different options now, all more expensive, but it has been extremely well received.

We had the largest number of hospitality seats in our history at the Motherwell match recently, and Its also completely sold out for St Johnstone. The rumour is that they could have sold another few hundred for this one as well !

So, while the "cheaper football tickets" would deffo be helpful for most, the prawn sandwich brigade seem to be lapping things up as well.

25 minutes ago, Ric said:

Who is the referee for this? Be interesting to see who the SFA appoint (or is it SPFL that selects them?) and whether they will choose someone with VAR in mind.

Kevin Clancy.

All games are using VAR this weekend so I doubt that was the specific reason for his selection. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe