Motherwell v Aberdeen 22/10/22

Lamie incident IMHO ain't simple manhandling. Its a clear shirt pull, therefore a pen.

Why not given. I think like Michael Stewart that the VAR guy has had his attention diverted by the second incident( not a pen) which happened quickly after the first incident. 

Conclusion-- we were the victims of circumstances. Still bloody sore to take.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

It might just be my red tinted glasses but it looks to me like the ball hits his hip.

Certainly not clear and obvious.

Surely that hits his lower abdomen on his left side? 
Not a penalty. No issues here at all.

24 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

According to Sportscene we were playing a 3-4-4-2 formation yesterday. Thoroughly disappointing to have only won by 1 goal given that numerical advantage.

The front 2 are obviously the ref and the VAR ref

9 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Looks like one effect of VAR is fans whining incessantly about relatively trivial offences they wouldn't have expected to be given last week. Yay. 

Probably our turn next week.

27 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don’t care if we benefitted. f**k VAR. 

VAR isn't going anywhere and it's the game that benefits rather than individual teams (some weeks it will go for you and other weeks against you)  by a higher percentage of decisions being called correctly.

10 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

VAR isn't going anywhere and it's the game that benefits rather than individual teams (some weeks it will go for you and other weeks against you)  by a higher percentage of decisions being called correctly.

Thanks for that. f**k VAR. 

38 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Looks like one effect of VAR is fans whining incessantly about relatively trivial offences they wouldn't have expected to be given last week. Yay. 

Whining till the end of the season at the very least. That’s my plan anyway. 

I fear that we are now in for a good few months of VAR nonsense because the media will obsess over every minor indiscretion that is overlooked. You kind of saw the beginning of it on Sportscene last night.

If we have to have VAR, ideally it should be used as sparingly as possible (ideally to give goals to Aberdeen that have been wrongly disallowed).

I would have been wanting a penalty for the pull on Lamie if I were a Motherwell fan, but I really don't think there should be enough there for the referee to be sent to the monitor. We might have to go through a little while of those decisions being reviewed, though, before there is an inevitable realisation that it is a nonsense and the threshold needs to be higher than that. 

Edited by DrewDon

1 hour ago, DrewDon said:

I fear that we are now in for a good few months of VAR nonsense because the media will obsess over every minor indiscretion that is overlooked. You kind of saw the beginning of it on Sportscene last night.

If we have to have VAR, ideally it should be used as sparingly as possible (ideally to give goals to Aberdeen that have been wrongly disallowed).

I would have been wanting a penalty for the pull on Lamie if I were a Motherwell fan, but I really don't think there should be enough there for the referee to be sent to the monitor. We might have to go through a little while of those decisions being reviewed, though, before there is an inevitable realisation that it is a nonsense and the threshold needs to be higher than that. 

I still have my suspicions that the first goal was only disallowed because of VAR.  He could stick his flag up with the ‘confidence’ that VAR would make the correct decision.

Stewart seems to be doing much better in a back three, and was credited by Goodwin in his post-match interview.

However, not quite sure what his thought process was at the end there.
VAR looks at that, and it’s likely two points down the drain, and that recent Dingwall feeling that we would never win away from home again in this league (except in Perth of course).

18 hours ago, DrewDon said:

Looking back at the Lamie/Stewart incident on Sportscene now, that instinctively feels to me like one where VAR shouldn't get involved and the referee's on-field decision is sufficient.

I find this statement mad.

anyway.

I've no complaints about the result tbh. We're soft as shite. KVV forced to play because we signed another striker on loan in a panic despite his knees being made of plastic forks and sellotape, and got no one else is fucking stinking.

I am a bit concerned that folk seem to dismiss that blatant shirt pull. I don't mind the odd wind up merchant denial. Seems a bit perturbing how many folk want to "let those go" or think it's ok.

At first viewing I was aggrieved. But the pull on Lamies shirt was handbags at most. I have seen rugby tackles in the box not given as penalties. In fact I am sure we had one earlier in the season where our man was blatantly manhandled to the ground. Cannot remember which game. 

So no penalty for me. The handball did appear to hit his hip so again no penalty. So on that basis I think VAR did it’s job at the weekend in out game. 

Again the reality is we are having as many if not more chances than the opposition in 3 or our last 4 home league games (Rangers apart) and we have 1 draw and 2 defeats to show for it. Our defending is undoubtedly an issue. But what is more concerning is our lack of finishing with KVV the main culprit. 

2 hours ago, tarapoa said:

However, not quite sure what his thought process was at the end there.
VAR looks at that, and it’s likely two points down the drain, and that recent Dingwall feeling that we would never win away from home again in this league (except in Perth of course).

You've obviously been sucked into Hammell's conspiracy theory. Of course the challenge in the box would've been looked at by the VAR. Hammell's assertion that there was no time for it to be reviewed is bollocks. The ball is played up by Aberdeen until it reaches the Motherwell keeper, and then Motherwell play it up to our box, and then the ball is cleared before the whistle goes, and then another passage of time elapses before the fourth official confirms the game is over. 

39 minutes ago, welldaft said:

At first viewing I was aggrieved. But the pull on Lamies shirt was handbags at most. I have seen rugby tackles in the box not given as penalties. In fact I am sure we had one earlier in the season where our man was blatantly manhandled to the ground. Cannot remember which game. 

So no penalty for me. The handball did appear to hit his hip so again no penalty. So on that basis I think VAR did it’s job at the weekend in out game. 

Again the reality is we are having as many if not more chances than the opposition in 3 or our last 4 home league games (Rangers apart) and we have 1 draw and 2 defeats to show for it. Our defending is undoubtedly an issue. But what is more concerning is our lack of finishing with KVV the main culprit. 

If it was just a pull on the shirt then fair enough, but he was dragged to the ground quite forcibly.  The ref missed it, which happens, but I fully expected VAR to get involved.  

If there was a message going up saying VAR checking potential penalty, then a message saying no penalty then I would have been annoyed as usual but gone home thinking VAR had done a job.

The way it happened meant I had no idea if the game was over.  I don’t think they looked at it.