I thought it might be a good idea to keep track of the current Scotland regulars that have been deemed surplus to requirements at club level as we begin our descent into international pishness once more:

John McGinn

Nathan Patterson

Scott McTominay

Aaron Hickey

Kieran Tierney

Edited by Barry Ferguson's Hat

McGinn is an interesting one. Long touted for a move upwards to a UCL level club he was given the captains armband at Villa this year after it was taken off Mings.  He's been getting pelters from Villa fans for his performances all season and seems to have been made the on field scapegoat for their poor form. Gerard gets sacked, he gets dropped for the next game and they promptly deliver their best performance of this season.  Be interesting to see what happens with him from hereon. 

4 hours ago, Lex said:

McGinn is an interesting one. Long touted for a move upwards to a UCL level club he was given the captains armband at Villa this year after it was taken off Mings.  He's been getting pelters from Villa fans for his performances all season and seems to have been made the on field scapegoat for their poor form. Gerard gets sacked, he gets dropped for the next game and they promptly deliver their best performance of this season.  Be interesting to see what happens with him from hereon. 

Folk on here touting him for a spot in Liverpool’s starting midfield, signing for £50m+ etc. He’s simply not good enough technically to play for a team challenging for league titles & the Champion’s League. Which big club is going to shell out the cash for him? A quick browse of the Villa forum shows that barely any of their fans even rate him.

Scotland fans seem to overrate our players to a ridiculous extent. Tierney is another - people going on about how he’s too good for Arsenal and should be signing for the likes of Bayern or Real Madrid ffs.

28 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

A quick browse of the Villa forum shows that barely any of their fans even rate him.

If he was doing well you'd have all the McGinn fans piping up about him on Villa boards. He is at a low ebb currently and so most of the voices you'll hear are those that think he needed to be dropped. It's the same on our board, Remember when Armstrong or Christie or Dykes have a shit game all the fans that don't like them come on and say they shouldn't be playing for Scotland. 

A quick browse will only give you a flavor of this moment when McGinn has been dropped and Villa have won 4 - 0 so it will obviously taint all views to McGinn being part of the previous problem.

28 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Scotland fans seem to overrate our players to a ridiculous extent. Tierney is another - people going on about how he’s too good for Arsenal and should be signing for the likes of Bayern or Real Madrid ffs.

Agree with you there. We have some very good players but the overhyping can be a little much.

Edited by 2426255

5 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Folk on here touting him for a spot in Liverpool’s starting midfield, signing for £50m+ etc. He’s simply not good enough technically to play for a team challenging for league titles & the Champion’s League. Which big club is going to shell out the cash for him? A quick browse of the Villa forum shows that barely any of their fans even rate him.

It’s weird that playing a player out of position for ages, in a team with a terrible set-up and no obvious game plan, making him the captain for all of this after a protracted fight with the old captain - might ruin his confidence and make him a bit shit.

He’s been the one player for about 2 or 3 seasons at Villa and Scotland that constantly plays almost all of their games. I honestly think a spell out might do him some good. That and a manager who knows what they are doing and plays him further forward, as he does for Scotland. 

17 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

A quick browse of the Villa forums indicate they hate every player on their team, Watkins and Mings get it as bad as McGinn if not worst (and thats before you get to Coutinho and Digne)

Villa is probably his level, and he's been the centre piece of their team for years. His dropping will be temporary. He's an excellent performer at international level which is the most important thing. Could he play at a bigger club? Sure, maybe, plenty of worse midfielders do, but it's better to stay at a team that makes you a central part of it.

Tierney was credibly linked with Manchester City last season, there aren't many left backs better than him. If he leaves Arsenal, who currently don't tactically align with his game, it will be another elite club that he joins. Maybe not Real Madrid, but it won't be Brentford.

The real fallacy is those thinking that it's catastrophic if players don't play every game, at elite clubs players are rotated all the time. McGinn has probably started every game he's been available for for years, good for him to get a rest for a change.

There's a hardcore of posters on this forum who will do everything possible to criticise Scottish players.

6 hours ago, Satoshi said:

A quick browse of the Villa forums indicate they hate every player on their team, Watkins and Mings get it as bad as McGinn if not worst (and thats before you get to Coutinho and Digne)

Villa is probably his level, and he's been the centre piece of their team for years. His dropping will be temporary. He's an excellent performer at international level which is the most important thing. Could he play at a bigger club? Sure, maybe, plenty of worse midfielders do, but it's better to stay at a team that makes you a central part of it.

Tierney was credibly linked with Manchester City last season, there aren't many left backs better than him. If he leaves Arsenal, who currently don't tactically align with his game, it will be another elite club that he joins. Maybe not Real Madrid, but it won't be Brentford.

The real fallacy is those thinking that it's catastrophic if players don't play every game, at elite clubs players are rotated all the time. McGinn has probably started every game he's been available for for years, good for him to get a rest for a change.

There's a hardcore of posters on this forum who will do everything possible to criticise Scottish players.

From your post, I’m not sure what I’ve said about McGinn that you disagree with? We seem to agree that Villa is his level.

Tierney is a very good left back. I saw the links with Man City. He’d be second choice to Cancelo, which for a quoted fee of £50m, didn’t make a lot of sense. Arsenal signed Man City’s back up left back who then usurped Tierney as first choice. Tierney has signed a long term contract at Arsenal - which ‘elite’ club are going to spend the above fee on him, given his injury woes? I could see Newcastle potentially doing so, not sure they’re an elite club yet though. He won’t be signing for Real or Bayern, which many were predicting. 

Who are the ‘hardcore’ of posters out of interest? I don’t unfairly criticise any of our players (except O’Donnell). I’ve been very realistic. You live in some parallel universe where McGinn is one of the best players in the league and Tierney is getting paraded at the Bernabeu. Playing for Villa and Arsenal respectively is a very high standard and it isn’t a slight on them at all.

There's a 'hardcore of posters' , to coin a phrase, who understandably are desperate for Scotland to have a 'marquee world class' player in the team. I'd love it too but the reality is we haven't had one of those since Dalglish, and he didn't always turn it on for Scotland. We look at other similar or smaller, sized countries over the years and wish we could, just once, produce a Roy Keane, a Bale, a Haaland...After all football's a bigger deal to us than it is to the Irish, to the Welsh or to the Norwegians..... can't we please have a game changing superstar of our own  ??  I think that's behind the overinflating of our very good players, which has reached a peak with the Billy Gilmour hysteria. 

There's a 'hardcore of posters' , to coin a phrase, who understandably are desperate for Scotland to have a 'marquee world class' player in the team. I'd love it too but the reality is we haven't had one of those since Dalglish, and he didn't always turn it on for Scotland. We look at other similar or smaller, sized countries over the years and wish we could, just once, produce a Roy Keane, a Bale, a Haaland...After all football's a bigger deal to us than it is to the Irish, to the Welsh or to the Norwegians..... can't we please have a game changing superstar of our own  ??  I think that's behind the overinflating of our very good players, which has reached a peak with the Billy Gilmour hysteria. 
His name is Doak... Ben Doak.

4 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

If only we could produce a modric,  mandukic,  Boban,  boksic,  suker,  prosinecki 

6 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

I don’t think anyone thinks we are going to have a marquee world class player.

I think it’s more that there are people desperate to look clever and different by underrating them or proclaiming they are finished because Gilmour hasn’t started for Brighton when he’s just 21, that because Tierney hasn’t been first choice his next stop is Nottingham Forest or because McGinn got dropped for a game or two.

It’s like they are desperate for them to do badly so they can say they are right - it’s just depressing. As Bing said above, I’d rather hope they do well and watch them play good stuff than hope for their failure, just to be right on here.