Ben Doak

Gordopolis

If Salah stays at Liverpool this summer they'll need cover for him, but Salah's the main man, so that cover will have to be content with not starting many games and mainly making late-game sub appearances. Doak seems to be the perfect guy for that job, and that's really how young players should be integrated in to a team.

If Slot doesn't fancy Doak, or if Salah leaves for the Saudi league, then get Doak out on loan somewhere with a manager who's not some bawbag who doesn't trust attacking players. Queen's Park maybe.

From the Daily Express (🤮)

Ben Doak - 8/10

A player believed to be available for transfer, 18-year-old Doak was Liverpool's brightest by far. Some exciting mazy runs down the right-hand side and cutting inside into the box as he displayed his trickery and pace. Looked the likeliest to break the deadlock and was unfortunate a team-mate blocked one of his goalward shots second half.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

It's his first minutes in about 4 weeks, give him a chance

Fair, though I still don’t think he’s ready. But what would the internet be without snap judgments based on 20 minutes. 

1 minute ago, PSJ.84 said:

Fair, though I still don’t think he’s ready. But what would the internet be without snap judgments based on 20 minutes. 

At this point I think you’ve got to start him on the right wing. Not the finished article but I’d rather get caps into him than persist with diddies like Christie.

10 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Could you no have made your snap judgement based on the fact that the first thing he did was set up a goal?

20 minutes ago, bleedingums said:

Could you no have made your snap judgement based on the fact that the first thing he did was set up a goal?

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

he’s going to be very good. 

It's notable how high he sits on the wing - right on the brink. If we play him we've got to capitalise on that. 

In time I see him moving inside a bit. Solid debut for an 18 year old. Gave the ball away once but apart from that he looked unphased and played a big part in our second goal.

The result was sickening tonight but it was great to see a really young  explosive talent get his debut and do pretty well.

Edited by Gordopolis

The bit that took my notice was when he had that run by himself. It took 3 of their players to cover him and snuff it out. If he’d managed to release the ball (a combination of him needing to get his head up and also there needing to be support runners anticipating what he’ll do) then it’d have created a big opportunity. That’s something that could be worked on in training and with him generally gaining experience. Sides won’t always commit three players to a situation like that, but even taking one or two out of the game creates overloads. 

4 hours ago, bleedingums said:

The bit that took my notice was when he had that run by himself. It took 3 of their players to cover him and snuff it out. If he’d managed to release the ball (a combination of him needing to get his head up and also there needing to be support runners anticipating what he’ll do) then it’d have created a big opportunity. That’s something that could be worked on in training and with him generally gaining experience. Sides won’t always commit three players to a situation like that, but even taking one or two out of the game creates overloads. 

Yep, that was the biggest sign of what he can do. Once he gets going round the outside he's electric.

I would actually like to see him in from the start against Portugal, I think he's likely to be more effective against teams that don't sit in so that he can isolate full backs and start creating space on counter attacks. I think it would be some out ball which we miss sometimes when we're up against it, especially given the lack of pace from our strikers

Edited by MarkoRaj

You can tell he needs regular gametime, I think.

If he can make 30+ starts for Middlesbrough, and some more Scotland minutes, this season, then he'll be coming out it a far better player even if he struggles to perform.

6 hours ago, bleedingums said:

I don’t think he had any options whatsoever when he made that run tbh. 

Was probably one of the more exciting aspects of watching Scotland last night.  That tremendous age where when he gets the ball you don't know if he's going to beat 8 men and slot it in, or bumble his way into the defender's legs then try and break his own ribs getting the ball back.

23 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Did he do much in his brief cameo other than flatten Ralston?

Played the pass for Ralston to assist our second goal. I think this sort of analysis of every wee single thing he does is stupid anyway. He came on, offered us something and lifted the crowd. He's a young guy with a lot of potential, let him play and we'll see what sort of player he is in a few years.

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Played the pass for Ralston to assist our second goal. I think this sort of analysis of every wee single thing he does is stupid anyway. He came on, offered us something and lifted the crowd. He's a young guy with a lot of potential, let him play and we'll see what sort of player he is in a few years.

Absolutely this, he also had a couple of nice touches in build up - people jump on what he does either good or bad depending on their narrative. He played twenty minutes on his debut at eighteen, and had an impact. 

I would start him on Sunday and try to get sixty minutes out of him. It’s absolutely vital that we have some pace to get us up the park and it could help us out. I would be tempted to play him in behind Dykes.