Ben Doak

Gordopolis

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

I've only seen him play a few minutes but he reminds me a lot of James Forrest.
Direct, pacey, good dribbler and finisher.

Forrest could have easily played in the Barclays. If he is as good as Forrest then he'll be an asset to Scotland.

If he can emulate Forrest, he'll have a successful career. However, I don't think Forrest was anywhere near the level Doak currently is when he was 17/18. In fact, the Celtic fans very often voiced their frustration at Forrest until he was in his early 20s and beyond. Doak looks more skillful and far less rigid than Forrest. 

No disrespect to Forrest, who should have had a much more lucrative Scotland career than he did. Forrest never quite reached the next level that a lot of us thought he might.

Doak's potential is massive.

Just now, Tartan Blood said:

If he can emulate Forrest, he'll have a successful career. However, I don't think Forrest was anywhere near the level Doak currently is when he was 17/18. In fact, the Celtic fans very often voiced their frustration at Forrest until he was in his early 20s and beyond. Doak looks more skillful and far less rigid than Forrest. 

No disrespect to Forrest, who should have had a much more lucrative Scotland career than he did. Forrest never quite reached the next level that a lot of us thought he might.

Doak's potential is massive.

Hes at the wind up mate, one of his better ones tbf. I still can't believe folk fall for it tho🤣

11 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Hes at the wind up mate, one of his better ones tbf. I still can't believe folk fall for it tho🤣

That was my initial instinct, but then I thought maybe he might have just been a blinkered Celtic fan. 🤣

It's actually kind of sad that Forrest is one of very few examples of  Scottish wingers having a decent career in the last decade.

On 29/12/2022 at 09:59, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Is there something to be said for a joke about "you can't bend oak" or something if he rides a dirty challenge? @Barry Ferguson's Hatwould appreciate you looking into this for me

I've crunched the numbers and it hits a 5.3 on the Bantometer.

Handle with care.

This isn't really relevant to Doak's development, because he is clearly on a different level to nearly all these listed, but I thought it was interesting to note that there have now been 30 Scottish players who have played in the English PL (92/93 onwards) as a teenager, and although more than half of them (17) have ended up going on to play for Scotland, only 8 made it to 10 or more caps.

10+ caps

Darren Fletcher (80)
Grant Hanley (46)
James Morrison* (46)
Billy Gilmour (16)
Matt Phillips* (16)
Nigel Quashie* (14)
Liam Cooper (11)
Kevin Kyle (10)

1-10 caps

Dominic Matteo* (6)
Robbie Stockdale (5)
Danny Wilson# (5)
Brian Kerr (3)
Jay McEveley (3)
Paul Bernard (2)
Tom Cairney (2)
Andy Gray (2)
Paul Gallagher (1)

Uncapped

Elliott Anderson
Ben Doak
Stuart McKinstry

Derek Allan
Andy Barrowman
Stuart Campbell
Colin Cramb
Chris Doig
David Kerr
Sean Kilgannon
Gavin Strachan
Gary Twigg
Martin Woods

*was primarily considered English at time of debut
#was already capped by Scotland before PL debut

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

This isn't really relevant to Doak's development, because he is clearly on a different level to nearly all these listed, but I thought it was interesting to note that there have now been 30 Scottish players who have played in the English PL (92/93 onwards) as a teenager, and although more than half of them (17) have ended up going on to play for Scotland, only 8 made it to 10 or more caps.

10+ caps

Darren Fletcher (80)
Grant Hanley (46)
James Morrison* (46)
Billy Gilmour (16)
Matt Phillips* (16)
Nigel Quashie* (14)
Liam Cooper (11)
Kevin Kyle (10)

1-10 caps

Dominic Matteo* (6)
Robbie Stockdale (5)
Danny Wilson# (5)
Brian Kerr (3)
Jay McEveley (3)
Paul Bernard (2)
Tom Cairney (2)
Andy Gray (2)
Paul Gallagher (1)

Uncapped

Elliott Anderson
Ben Doak
Stuart McKinstry

Derek Allan
Andy Barrowman
Stuart Campbell
Colin Cramb
Chris Doig
David Kerr
Sean Kilgannon
Gavin Strachan
Gary Twigg
Martin Woods

*was primarily considered English at time of debut
#was already capped by Scotland before PL debut

That’s quite some detail there. Thanks for sharing.

We must have also had a fair few sent down who never made a debut and came back up. 

7 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

Was a little bit silly by apparantly 'liking' an Instagram post that was basically calling Nunez shite.

I wonder if that had something to do with him not being in squad tonight. If true - can't imagine Klopp stands for that sort of rubbish

It was after the game but still not a good look for him. 

Did anyone see that Wayne Rooney interview a few weeks ago when he talks about joining Everton first team training for the first time. At first he said he was super excited to be there and loving it but he realised pretty quickly that the rest of them were  shite (comparatively).

I remember thinking ‘I’m better than all these players’. That’s not disrespect to them players but some of them just weren’t good enough and should never have played for Everton,” he added. “I remember thinking the step up would be harder.”

https://fanbanter.co.uk/wayne-rooney-labels-old-everton-team-mates-crap-in-hilarious-yet-brutal-interview/

I think Doak has turned up at first team training and seen Nunez and been somewhat surprised 🤣

Edited by albagubrath
Stupidity

2 hours ago, albagubrath said:

Did anyone see that Wayne Rooney interview a few weeks ago when he talks about joining Liverpool first team training for the first time. At first he said he was super excited to be there and loving it but he realised pretty quickly that the rest of them were  shite (comparatively).

I remember thinking ‘I’m better than all these players’. That’s not disrespect to them players but some of them just weren’t good enough and should never have played for Everton,” he added. “I remember thinking the step up would be harder.”

https://fanbanter.co.uk/wayne-rooney-labels-old-everton-team-mates-crap-in-hilarious-yet-brutal-interview/

I think Doak has turned up at first team training and seen Nunez and been somewhat surprised 🤣

Did I miss when Rooney played for Liverpool?