Ben Doak

Gordopolis

Jota should be back within a month or so, apparently, and Diaz a bit longer so he might still get a few more minutes soon. He'll probably go back to age-group football once those two come back, but he's still done brilliantly to get senior appearances already.

26 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

Get him in the squad in March. Kid is electric. Absolutely bodied a wolves player aswell. Strong,quick,direct. No one can tell me isn’t better than a Jacob brown already.

Yeah, he looked very good when he came on.

Just now, accies1874 said:

Jota should be back within a month or so, apparently, and Diaz a bit longer so he might still get a few more minutes soon. He'll probably go back to age-group football once those two come back, but he's still done brilliantly to get senior appearances already.

Was there some suggestion he might go on loan? Would be going backwards to be back in the U21s. He’s done well in the small amounts of time he’s had in the first team. 

45 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

I'm not sure he'll go on loan so young. Tbh even the u21s is good considering he's just turned 17 and is at one of the biggest clubs in the world. 

Wouldn't be opposed to him going on loan to be fair.  From a development point of view him getting first team action looks as if it has enhanced him so far.  With the right club (which I'm sure Liverpool themselves will realise) gaining more minutes against experienced players can't hurt him, given we're kinda suggesting that he does that by being capped for Scotland.

I'd probably consider just keeping him in the under-21s for now as he has only just moved to that age group in September '22 from the under 17s. He hasn't played a lot of senior minutes at either Celtic or Liverpool so unless he starts a few Premier League games between now and March then I think it's better to let him continue to develop at club level and maybe revisit him joining the Senior National team in the summer.

I know that will go down a lead balloon on here but without knowing him personally the risks associated with him getting too much too soon compared with the reward of him being part of the setup against Cyprus and Spain lead me to side more with leaving him out.

43 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'd probably consider just keeping him in the under-21s for now as he has only just moved to that age group in September '22 from the under 17s. He hasn't played a lot of senior minutes at either Celtic or Liverpool so unless he starts a few Premier League games between now and March then I think it's better to let him continue to develop at club level and maybe revisit him joining the Senior National team in the summer.

I know that will go down a lead balloon on here but without knowing him personally the risks associated with him getting too much too soon compared with the reward of him being part of the setup against Cyprus and Spain lead me to side more with leaving him out.

I’d be fine with bringing him along to the squad if Clarke feels he would benefit from being integrated into the camp, but I don’t really expect him to play a role in March or really in these qualifiers at all. 

He will be turning 19 in the autumn of 2024 when we kick off our nations league A campaign which then leads into the World Cup qualifiers. The aim for Doak should be for him to be pushing to get into the starting XI for those campaigns, IMO. Clarke will decide whether he would benefit more from game time with the 21s in the mean time or coming into the main squad as a spectator. 

If the games were next weekend I don’t think it’d be unreasonable for Scotland to have Doak on the bench. Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world and brought him on for Mo Salah last night with the match in the balance, in the only tournament they’re likely to have a chance of winning this season.  

The games are a long way off though. With Liverpool players returning from injury we might not see a lot or any of Doak in February and March, or he might be on loan playing every minute somewhere else. Anything can happen. 

22 hours ago, bleedingums said:

Sounds like Nunez is a doubt for tomorrow. Hopefully that means more minutes for Doak - would be interested to see what he could do with more than just a few minutes at the end of a game.

Well 

Carvalho and Doak only attacking subs with oxlade chamberlain starting with gakpo and salah 

So, hopefully you'll be right 

26 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Doak lost the ball every time he got it today. He put in the effort but still has a lot to learn.

He’d be nowhere near the first team if Liverpool weren’t a complete mess tbh.

Didn't watch it but I read he won a free kick and a corner. Plus made some tackles. Most twitter feedback seems to be positive. (In comparison to every other player)

However, this really wasn't an ideal time for him to come on. Liverpool horsing a team 3-0 and bringing him on the last 20mins would be far better. A little unfair on him today.

36 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Doak lost the ball every time he got it today. He put in the effort but still has a lot to learn.

Probably correct unfortunately 

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

mmm he is 17, of course he has a lot to learn. 

He has looked largely excellent in his cameo performances so far, in those he has shown he is deserving of cameo appearances to try and make an impact. One poor (if you are correct) performance off the bench doesn’t change that.