Ben Doak

Gordopolis

Guess the true make or break moment for Doak will be what he does when teams identify him as a threat and prepare their team for it.

Just now it feels like hes still kind of under the radar a bit so can catch sides out by how quick/direct he is.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Guess the true make or break moment for Doak will be what he does when teams identify him as a threat and prepare their team for it.

Just now it feels like hes still kind of under the radar a bit so can catch sides out by how quick/direct he is.

I agree with you but it's good practice that he was Liverpool's most dangerous attacking outlet for the youth teams and has got a taste for it for the Scotland u21s too. Obviously a much lower calibre of opposition but there are good mental lessons to learn. 

1 hour ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

In the Liverpool squad again tonight, hope he's in the first team squad regularly this season 

I suspect he will be. He’s played a part in every preseason game and trains with the first team squad.

Also, Gakpo has been used in central midfield so far in the friendlies, so that would be one less bit of competition for the front 3. Obviously, Salah pretty much has right forward role locked down on a starting basis but there’s definitely room for Doak to get a reasonable amount of game time imo. 

Off-topic, but I see Fraser Hornby was sporting Darmstadt's #9 shirt this evening. He was pretty decent for a rank rotten Oostende side last season. If he can hold down a starting place in the Bundesliga it would be hard to argue against him getting a chance for Scotland.

Don't believe the hype. He's the next Islam Feruz.

ETA: I didn’t know how precious people were on this part of the forum. It’s clear to anyone with eyes the boy’s going to be dynamite.

Edited by Smurph

8 hours ago, ArabFC said:

Watched the game tonight. When he's got the ball at his feet and is one on one, the defender doesn't stand a chance.

Love Gilmour, but I haven't been this excited by a Scottish kid since... ever!

Totally agree I realise this is just friendlies but am sure Doak will be a Liverpool sub at least. Scotland call up surely in September 

What do we think Doak would need to do at the start of the season to force his way into the Scotland squad? Start for Liverpool? Sub appearances? just be in the matchday squads? I know Clarke isn't one to make changes just for the sake of it but I really think this kid would give us something totally difference. His pace is frightening. Away to Cyprus then a friendly seems the perfect time to get him involved in my opinion. 

Tbh, and far be it from me to slow down the hype train, but I actually thought his recent cameo was one of his weaker showings so far. Yes, he pretty much beat his man every time he had the ball, which is staggering given his age, but I’ve almost come to expect that from him now. He’s one of the best 17 year olds I’ve seen in 1v1 situations. However, he also pretty much wasted all of those chances afterwards with a poor touch and/or inaccurate final ball. 

I’m already judging him by a very high bar, which speaks a lot to the potential of the lad but there’s work to do there for sure. Still early days. 

I somewhat agree with Londonwell in that his final ball has been a bit disappointing in most of the games I have seen him play. Having said that, watching him play at a lower level (Scotland unders in particular) his selection of final ball was much better and not because he was in less stressed situations. I don't know if his poor outcomes lately are because he is playing at a higher level (although pre-season), he hasn't yet got the experience to consistently get final ball selection right or because he needs to further develop his technique. If its a question of experience then of course game inclusion is a really big part of development for him and we should see rapid improvement through the season if he gets it. If it's technique then we might be waiting a good few years before he really starts to break through.