**Pie and Bovril's Top 100 Films of All Time**

Wee-Bey

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

American Sniper made $500 million.

As the Taken movies have proven, show a white man killing swarthy foreigners and they will come.

It doesn't even have to be foreigners; the Death Wish films were explicitly a fascist fantasy about a white strongman sorting out the domestic ethnics.

Not that it has much to do with what you quoted, but still.

I'm mystified by Shawshank's popularity.

The characters are utterly one dimensional, cartoonish and unbelievable and the cinematography is bang average.

It's gratingly mawkish.

Even to take something directly comparable like the Green Mile at least the story in that is interesting.

I'd maybe be OK with it if it was the 95th most popular movie of all time bit its still IMDBs number 1.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It doesn't even have to be foreigners; the Death Wish films were explicitly a fascist fantasy about a white strongman sorting out the domestic ethnics.

Not that it has much to do with what you quoted, but still.

Liam Neeson brings us full circle with that crazy interview he did where he said he wanted to do Death Wish for real in Dublin. 

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

The Vietnam War has given us so many great films, and not just films set in the war, but films where former soldiers try to deal with what they went through, like Rambo and Taxi Driver. Even Forrest Gump had a character affected by it (Liuetnent Dan).

Probably the most overrated film ever, even more so than the Godfather films.

The Big Lebowski is the best Vietnam film. 

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Liam Neeson brings us full circle with that crazy interview he did where he said he wanted to do Death Wish for real in Dublin. 

Aye, what a fucking corker of an admission that was.

If he'd come out with that in different circumstances, he could've had a worthwhile point about prejudice and self-improvement, but it didn't quite work out for the big man  :shutup

16 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I'm mystified by Shawshank's popularity.

The characters are utterly one dimensional, cartoonish and unbelievable and the cinematography is bang average.

It's gratingly mawkish.

Even to take something directly comparable like the Green Mile at least the story in that is interesting.

I'd maybe be OK with it if it was the 95th most popular movie of all time bit its still IMDBs number 1.

I've never felt emotion like during the rain scene in Shawshank. Just pure joy and relief. I'd read the short story years before, but thankfully didn't remember a bit of it other than that Red was originally white, so I was genuinely surprised by where the story went and (with it being a Stephen King story) was expecting that it really could be just relentlessly grim and end on a downer (see the later Darabont/King version of The Mist).

Maybe it's going to end up like It's a Wonderful Life, which just seemed like mawkish rot to me when I finally saw it. It's so popular that I presume I've missed out by not seeing it at the time, or when I was young enough to be swept up by it. But Shawshank is basically my IAWL.

Oh, and even though it didn't make my list, I'm delighted to see The Big Lebowski make the top 10, although am I right that American Psycho has fallen out of favour with P&B?  :o

49 minutes ago, MSU said:

The list on Letterboxd if anyone fancies tracking their progress through the P&B 100.

https://boxd.it/kkEva

What's everybody most embarrassed about not having seen?

I've watched 70 of the top 100, and I know I sat down to watch Citizen Kane at some point decades ago, but I can't remember it at all so I'm wondering if I didn't in the end. I didn't make it all the way through a couple of the others either, including In Bruges, which I remember enjoying the first half of immensely before falling asleep and never revisiting  :(

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

What's everybody most embarrassed about not having seen?

I've watched 70 of the top 100, and I know I sat down to watch Citizen Kane at some point decades ago, but I can't remember it at all so I'm wondering if I didn't in the end. I didn't make it all the way through a couple of the others either, including In Bruges, which I remember enjoying the first half of immensely before falling asleep and never revisiting  :(

The highest ranked movie I haven't seen is The Departed. The one I'm probably most embarrassed about not seeing is It's a Wonderful Life. The one I have seen several times but still don't fully understand is All The President's Men.

Edited by MSU

53 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Given that the list isn't exactly a festival of rom coms and chick flicks, I am a wee touch surprised at the lack of Bond, Bourne and Jack Ryan movies. 

I'll have to check, but I don't think any of those received a single vote. I know Bond definitely didn't.

Edited by Slim Charles.

I've never got around to watching the Bourne films for some reason but, while the Bond films can be a lot of fun, they're very much cinematic chuddy, aren't they? Not the kind of thing that stays with you and makes all-time lists.

Nobody really cares about Jack Ryan, surely. People only really remember The Hunt for Red October because Sean was in it. I saw that Affleck one about the nuclear bomb a while back, but I don't remember a thing about it now, other than there was a nice reference to Sneakers.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I've never got around to watching the Bourne films for some reason but, while the Bond films can be a lot of fun, they're very much cinematic chuddy, aren't they? Not the kind of thing that stays with you and makes all-time lists.

Nobody really cares about Jack Ryan, surely. People only really remember The Hunt for Red October because Sean was in it. I saw that Affleck one about the nuclear bomb a while back, but I don't remember a thing about it now, other than there was a nice reference to Sneakers.

On really? Must have missed that. Sneakers was on my - mostly films nobody else would pick - list, mostly because of Redford and it was between that and Spy Game.

4 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

On really? Must have missed that. Sneakers was on my - mostly films nobody else would pick - list, mostly because of Redford and it was between that and Spy Game.

I love Sneakers. IIRC, the Affleck Ryan film has the same director, and has a character played by the actress who was the mistress of the cryptographer Redford and co steal the box from. She has a scene near the beginning where she refers to her Sneakers character by name.

The really weird thing is that I decided to watch Sneakers again a while back, and randomly followed it up with (just remembered the name) The Sum of All Fears, and I'd no idea about any of this, so either it was a huge coincidence or my subconscious was playing 4D chess!

11 hours ago, Slim Charles. said:

Thanks lads, it was good fun and not too much work, we got plenty people participating which always makes these types of polls better. Don't know how long ago a TV Series one was done, if its been a while I'll do that one next Christmas.

Brilliant work sir, very entertaining seeing the list unfold hoping that your own picks had made the cut. I had 8 of my Top 10 in the Top 100 although a couple of them a lot lower than I had hoped. 

About the TV Shows, again DomDom did a Top 50 around the same time in 2012. Everyone had to pick their Top 20 and he compiled the list from all the entries, unfortunately I've only kept a note of the final Top 10 and the placings for the 8 of my picks which made the cut. I'll send you a DM with the Top 10 which you can use as you wish.

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

I've never felt emotion like during the rain scene in Shawshank. Just pure joy and relief. I'd read the short story years before, but thankfully didn't remember a bit of it other than that Red was originally white, so I was genuinely surprised by where the story went and (with it being a Stephen King story) was expecting that it really could be just relentlessly grim and end on a downer (see the later Darabont/King version of The Mist).

Maybe it's going to end up like It's a Wonderful Life, which just seemed like mawkish rot to me when I finally saw it. It's so popular that I presume I've missed out by not seeing it at the time, or when I was young enough to be swept up by it. But Shawshank is basically my IAWL.

Oh, and even though it didn't make my list, I'm delighted to see The Big Lebowski make the top 10, although am I right that American Psycho has fallen out of favour with P&B?  :o

Maybe it's consuming it in half hour blocks in its monthly ITV 2 slot that made it all a bit made for TV for me.

I must have seen Blade Runner when I was about 8 or 9 but it merges into films like Total Recall in my memory. I'll  make a point of watching it.

2 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Brilliant work sir, very entertaining seeing the list unfold hoping that your own picks had made the cut. I had 8 of my Top 10 in the Top 100 although a couple of them a lot lower than I had hoped. 

About the TV Shows, again DomDom did a Top 50 around the same time in 2012. Everyone had to pick their Top 20 and he compiled the list from all the entries, unfortunately I've only kept a note of the final Top 10 and the placings for the 8 of my picks which made the cut. I'll send you a DM with the Top 10 which you can use as you wish.

Cheers man. If it's not been done since 2012 then that's next Christmas' poll sorted.

On 06/01/2023 at 23:18, Slim Charles. said:

And nobody has any excuses now for not broadening their horizons and watching some of the films on this list that they were unaware of. Let's see those reviews in the movie thread.

To my disgrace, and despite being a huge sci-fan nerd, I had never seen Interstellar until last night.

It is an absolute masterpiece. Space is fucking terrifying. Possibly the best sci-fi film* I've ever seen.

*Star Wars are not sci-fi films