Which player had the biggest drop off after the amount of potential they initially showed?

It's not quite in the spirit of the nomination, but after scoring a debut hat trick against Hibs after coming on as a second half substitute (and it was basically the exact same goal three times) there was really nowhere else for the diminutive David Ferrere to go after that but down.

Edited by Doctor Manhattan

It depends if you mean actual potential as demonstrated on the pitch, or that weird virtual potential which seems to accrue to occasional random (usually Old Firm) youngsters before they've really played for the first team much.

In the first basket, I'd put Derek Riordan, as good a striker and as much of a wasted talent as I've ever seen in Scotland, and in the second the likes of Islam Feruz and  Karamoko Dembélé (though to be fair, the latter seems to be getting some game time for Brest in Ligue 1, so he may yet come good) who were both touted as world beaters in the press, but never significantly broke into the Celtic first team.

Not sure where Ryan Gauld would be in this.  

Great we player who was unfortunate to be tagged the ,"Mini Messi".  Obviously  he was never going to reach those heights but when he moved to Portugal i had hope he would reach new heights.  Still carving out a ecent career abroad but unlikely to ever play for Scotland or a really high profile team now.

There is definitely a  talent footballer there but I feel he has not hit the height that his early footballing talent  promised (ignore the press hype). 

Agree with Riordem comments.

According to Jim McLean Ralph Milne was on of the most naturally  gifted players he ever saw.  Just don't tell Man U fans that though.

I was no fan of Jack Wilshere's glass ankles which held the rest of him back from a potentially decent career. The loose mental screw would have arguably just about fallen on the side of asset rather than liability.  

EDIT: hadn't spotted this was under the 'Scottish Premiership General' thread -  we've all just had a month of Englanding on the telly ffs. 

Edited by IncomingExile

29 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

JET was absolutely outstanding on his debut for us, looked like a properly classy player. 

Regressed into inexplicably hopeless pretty quickly after.

Which is funny because he was hopeless when he joined us and ended up being absolutely outstanding. He just completed the full circle with you lot really

It’s always a journo or smoke blowing manager that coins a player in one game after a better one elsewhere. Simon Donnelly was the new Dalgleish, Gauld as conveyed was mini Messi. If they don’t get anywhere close it’s not as if it was ever a cert. Got a lot of sympathy for them.