Which player had the biggest drop off after the amount of potential they initially showed?

On 24/12/2022 at 12:18, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Mustapha Dumbaya, genuinely put in some terrific performances at right back in the top flight when he first came to us. Disappeared for ages, came back in our final top flight season with a different name on the back of his shirt (went from Dumbaya to Sima, iirc, christ knows why) and was largely shite, just mind him giving away a penalty against Celtic and looking nowhere near as sprightly.

There's presumably a lot behind the scenes that happened with him, so won't rush to condemn or judge.

I’m sure he got a really serious injury playing fives with his mates in the summer between seasons or something. Came back and looked like he’d never played football before.

Adam Barton was another from that team. Looked brilliant in his first season - a properly classy ball playing defender in a back three - and got our player of the season I think. His second season was an absolute travesty, including an article in I think the Daily Record with him having a go at all his teammates for making him look bad, and just generally appearing to be a total p***k. He also put in the most shameful attempt at tracking a runner I’ve ever seen as we got humped by County. Went to Dundee United after where, I believe, he was equally unimpressive and has since drifted around non-leagues in England and the fucking Welsh premier league.

Niall Keown was another. Went from looking a very competent top flight centre half in his loan spell to being without a club since 2019.

21 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I’m sure he got a really serious injury playing fives with his mates in the summer between seasons or something. Came back and looked like he’d never played football before.

Adam Barton was another from that team. Looked brilliant in his first season - a properly classy ball playing defender in a back three - and got our player of the season I think. His second season was an absolute travesty, including an article in I think the Daily Record with him having a go at all his teammates for making him look bad, and just generally appearing to be a total p***k. He also put in the most shameful attempt at tracking a runner I’ve ever seen as we got humped by County. Went to Dundee United after where, I believe, he was equally unimpressive and has since drifted around non-leagues in England and the fucking Welsh premier league.

Niall Keown was another. Went from looking a very competent top flight centre half in his loan spell to being without a club since 2019.

aye, i mind fuming at Barton letting leigh griffiths just effortlessly go past him in the penalty box for his customary goal against us at Firhill, was barely even a half-hearted attempt at a challenge. May even have been the same game Dumbaya gave away a penalty, we lost it 2-1 after going one up through a Sammon penalty of our own which made the pea-hearted attempt by Barton all the more galling.

52 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I had an absolute heads gone at him against Aberdeen away. Cowardly spineless b*****d. Contrast him with Edwards in that relegation team who wasn't great but ran himself into the ground in every game, or the much unfairly maligned Connor Sammon. 

Originally came on to mention Adam Strachan. A game against Steve Patterson's Aberdeen at firhill had me believing we'd unearthed a new Maradona. I've never seen such a gallus virtuoso performance in the flesh. He was, as has been said, a troubled young man. 

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Sergei Baltacha Jr for me. As a young player he looked like a potential star. Somehow he just lost it all very rapidly.

Had forgotten all about him. I remember being surprised to see him play against us for Petershill, not long after his breaking through and the U21 caps. He seemed capable at that level and was popular with the Peasie support. He didn't last long even there, though. Did he join the polis or am I making that up?

Might be a wee bit controversial but Billy Gilmour's career seems to have gone into a rapid decline.

From being touted as the "The Next Best Thing", playing for Chelsea, being substitute for Chelsea,  being punted on loan to Norwich City, being a substitute for Norwich City, being punted to Brighton, being an unused substitute with Brighton and now the rumours are the he is being punted back out on loan.

I hope that he gets the opportunity to fulfill his potential but I have my doubts.

4 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Might be a wee bit controversial but Billy Gilmour's career seems to have gone into a rapid decline.

From being touted as the "The Next Best Thing", playing for Chelsea, being substitute for Chelsea,  being punted on loan to Norwich City, being a substitute for Norwich City, being punted to Brighton, being an unused substitute with Brighton and now the rumours are the he is being punted back out on loan.

I hope that he gets the opportunity to fulfill his potential but I have my doubts.

Have the fear about that too. From legit strolling his first few caps to likely on loan in some shithole in the English Championship where he'll get eaten alive. Not a good 2 years.

4 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

Kris Boyd turned an incredible talent into an utterly average career. 

Whilst I thought he was destined for bigger things I still wouldn’t say it was an average career. Don’t quote me on the numbers for Deadco but it’s almost like saying Ally McCoist had an average career.  

Guys out there would kill for the career Boyd has had.

4 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Have the fear about that too. From legit strolling his first few caps to likely on loan in some shithole in the English Championship where he'll get eaten alive. Not a good 2 years.

He just got signed for a fairly big transfer fee and is on a long contract at an EPL side, who say he is their 12th or 13th best player (i.e. very close to the first team). The Chelsea owner tried to convince him to stay, even making it clear he was about to sack the manager.

He has never played below Premier League level. The rumours about him going on loan again are just rumours, when Brighton signed him he would have known he wouldn't immediately go into the first team (current first team central midfielders like world cup winner Alexis McAllister and Caicedo also didn't go straight into the Brighton first team after signing).

Wild shout to have him on this (very interesting) thread.

1) Aiden McGeady.

Was a few years ahead of me at school but was talked up as the next big thing with all the big English clubs and sponsors sniffing around from an early age. Thought he was destined for hige things when he first broke in to Celtics team. Ended up with a mediocre career.

2) John Fleck.

Heard the buzz when he was still only 14 or 15 so was buzzing when this young Scottish starlet started getting game time at 16. From Scottish Wayne Rooney to EFL League One for a large chunk of his career wasnt exactly what was expected.