Do you remember the good old days before the Ghost Town?

9 hours ago, Hard Graft said:

I also remember the Co-Op butcher in King Street, Stenhousemuir with the sides of beef hanging down and the sawdust on the floor.

I remember 50 years ago going into a butchers in Manor St in Falkirk that had the carcasses hangs inside the shop, sawdust on the floor, and the cashier in a separate booth near the door so the butchers serving the meat didn't have to handle cash.

14 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I remember 50 years ago going into a butchers in Manor St in Falkirk that had the carcasses hangs inside the shop, sawdust on the floor, and the cashier in a separate booth near the door so the butchers serving the meat didn't have to handle cash.

Pretty sure there was one like that in the Hilltown too. 

5 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Both EK and Cumbernauld (as well as Irvine, which everybody forgets was also a new town) were built onto existing villages...Cumbernauld village is maybe half an hour's walk from the centre right on the north edges of the town, whereas EK village is more central, sort of east of the rail station and north of the shopping centre.

It's a weird setup in EK village though...it's like they've tried to preserve the original features but haven't got it quite right. It just feels a bit artificial and sterile - not unlike when you go through the England exhibit at Epcot and everything feels just that wee bit off.

Good info. I love getting an education on p&b. 

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

The oversized "look at me" ones in the 1970s. There must have been a pivotal Emporer's New Clothes moment that made folk think, Christ we look ridiculous. Bit liked flared breeks. 

Flares are cool as. Those wee skinny trousers that followed them and have made a comeback are the abomination. 

20 hours ago, The Mantis said:

The Other Record Shop was also in St Mary’s St in Edinburgh, and Aberdeen and possibly other towns. Had a quick search and it seems to be the same chain.

It was actually Thin’s. I loved visiting Melvens when I was up staying with relatives in Sneck. The flagship James Thin was in South Bridge, Edinburgh which was the main bookshop for all the students and I spent hours there. I had an auntie who served behind the counter and she gave me pretty hefty discounts. The chain went into admin in 2002. It’s been Ottakars but is now Blackwells.

I also remember Leakey from when he was in the Arcade/Market, then he moved to a shop along the river nearer where he is now. I always though he was a miserable b*****d especially when I saw him dealing with guys who brought books in. The word is, the church cost him £100k.

Not surprisingly!

On 25/12/2022 at 22:58, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Milngavie town centre is a depressing dump.

You’re big standard charity shop, chemist, tea room, a chippy, bookie, old man pub, a damp smelling Asda with stains on the floor.

A great place if you’re a pensioner. Shite if you’re younger than 65. 
A good metaphor for Britain.

Don’t forgot the Tesco with the lack of stock ,I got lifted down there many years ago when it was William lows 😂

F0A055ED-AADC-4E0E-9ECE-479ABE6E1C76.jpeg

Not read the thread, but for sure someone else has posted this.

The 'High Street' as you knew is gone because nae c**t wants to go there. Cheaper and easier options are now available for the fat arse UK public.

You reap what you sow.

Here in my little village the 'high street' is just a market where everyone buys and sells, and still is going good.

However, 7/11 and Tesco Mini turned up and take a lot of the daytime shoppers, to the extent the usual market stalls only do the 5am to 10am then open at 3pm to 7pm.

Tesco is dead and all their meat product are always on sale. 7/11 now do home delivery....

I'll shop every day in the market, the wife sells second hand clothes on a Saturday (her hobby) and I'll now and again sell mushrooms when the father-in-law can't make it.  It really is a community talking shop to be honest.

I hate shopping(department store style), however, going to the market is great, it's a way of life.

TLDR - Get out and go to the high street, they need you!

ETA - We do have the out of town big stores, there always very quite when ever I go, last time was about 2 years ago when I bought a new washing machine, as they didn't have in the village. When there walked around the food section, and it was all overpriced packaged shite.

Big Tesco as sold up and got out of Thailand, they have been taken over by Lotuss' - yes that is the correct spelling.

Edited by SlipperyP

On 25/12/2022 at 16:38, BFTD said:

I remember being entranced by the art on a box that I could never reach, which I'd later discover was the soon-to-be-banned Cannibal Holocaust  :shutup

Ruggero Deodato, director of notorious horror Cannibal Holocaust, dies aged 83 (died about a week ago).

9 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Not read the thread, but for sure someone else has posted this.

The 'High Street' as you knew is gone because nae c**t wants to go there. Cheaper and easier options are now available for the fat arse UK public.

You reap what you sow.

Here in my little village the 'high street' is just a market where everyone buys and sells, and still is going good.

However, 7/11 and Tesco Mini turned up and take a lot of the daytime shoppers, to the extent the usual market stalls only do the 5am to 10am then open at 3pm to 7pm.

Tesco is dead and all their meat product are always on sale. 7/11 now do home delivery....

I'll shop every day in the market, the wife sells second hand clothes on a Saturday (her hobby) and I'll now and again sell mushrooms when the father-in-law can't make it.  It really is a community talking shop to be honest.

I hate shopping(department store style), however, going to the market is great, it's a way of life.

TLDR - Get out and go to the high street, they need you!

ETA - We do have the out of town big stores, there always very quite when ever I go, last time was about 2 years ago when I bought a new washing machine, as they didn't have in the village. When there walked around the food section, and it was all overpriced packaged shite.

Big Tesco as sold up and got out of Thailand, they have been taken over by Lotuss' - yes that is the correct spelling.

I remember seeing a Tesco in Thailand. How is the quality of food over there, like the meats?