Dumbarton vs Stirling Albion

Outcome?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/23 at 15:00

6 minutes ago, unitedbino said:

Better than last week with better communication, but have to ask the question now - can Dumbarton actually fulfil their fixtures? And if the answer is no, what's the precedent for shifting matches to another pitch that is playable? 

There are effectively 15 matchdays left this season if you include every Tuesday and Saturday. Albeit other teams still have games to squeeze in, so not every one would be suitable for a rearranged game (such as next Tuesday when you guys have Forfar, the two teams we need to play). And Sons have 10 games left. So it should be quite comfortably do-able, barring a Beast from the East type scenario. We're only two games behind where we should be, it just feels worse than that because this game has been postponed so many times.

Right now, and since about November if I'm honest, though I'd bite your hand off to play our remaining home games at Clydebank's Holm Park or somewhere else with a nice big Astro like NDP or Broadwood. Our pitch is a shambles and makes every game a lottery, it will be a nightmare for the players playing twice a week on something so soft too.

6 minutes ago, Curler said:

Surely they have a decent pitch in the Govan area or are they afraid their precious B team will ruin their hallowed  turf. I agree they should have their own ground to play on. Can they not use he same pitch as their woman’s team play on.

They have a nice stand at Auchenhowie. I'm not sure what else it would need to get a license, but it doesn't look all that different to a lot of sports centre Lowland League type grounds. Access isn't great and there's not a lot of parking, but it's not massively different in that regard to somewhere like Ainslie Park.

4 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'm not convinced that it's entirely an ownership decision. I'd be inclined to believe that the club board are equally guilty when it comes to this particular bad decision.

Well who knows for certain, but bearing in mind that's now three home DFC fixtures cancelled in succession what the club Board could possibly do is enquire if the Rangers 'B' fixture on Thursday could be postponed in order that our game on Saturday has every chance of proceeding.  Or is the fact that it's actually our park just an irrelevance in all of this ?

6 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Well who knows for certain, but bearing in mind that's now three home DFC fixtures cancelled in succession what the club Board could possibly do is enquire if the Rangers 'B' fixture on Thursday could be postponed in order that our game on Saturday has every chance of proceeding.  Or is the fact that it's actually our park just an irrelevance in all of this ?

That would require our board being hands on and actually acting in the club's best interest. At best they appear clueless. At worst they're down right dysfunctional. I'm not convinced that Dumbarton has a properly functioning football club board. We have a chairman who looks unsuited to the role. We have a lack of visible leadership. I think our chairman is a significant cause for concern. 

No problem with the call off and communication today but I do question why it took a shitstorm for the park to get the treatment it needs for games to get a chance. If we'd vertidrained the park two weeks ago in advance of the shite weather which was well predicted then we might be sitting in a better position right now. 

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If you enter into a contract with another party to make your pitch available on a set of dates, then whether or not it is your park is indeed irrelevant.

I'm sure you are correct, and thanks.  The moral of the story is don't enter into groundshares if your pitch is vulnerable to the weather.  Or better still, get 'B' teams to f**k away from Scottish football.

21 minutes ago, Snoddyisabino said:

I mean, given how much rain and snow the west coast has had the past day or so, it makes sense that this game is called off and the communication from Dumbarton has been much better 3rd time around. 

I struggle to see when this game is going to get played other than waiting until the middle of April or the Wednesday 29th. The game on the 25th is going ahead on the same day as Scotland vs Cyprus. I appreciate that this is at our bit but I think the statement the Albion put out about it was pretty fair if not a wee bit self-serving. But who isn't in league 2 eh

I'd hope the 2 clubs wouldn't agree to play this return fixture on the day of ANOTHER Scotland game on the 28th - with Scotland vs Spain happening that night. I'm talking extremely selfishly here because I go to both Stirling and Scotland games - but it would be a real shame to have to make the choice between the Scotland games or the Stirling vs Dumbarton fixtures given what's at stake. 

Scrap all of this then. Dumbarton are playing Forfar on the Wednesday night. Dumbarton twitter admin is on fire today 

1 minute ago, pleslie99 said:

You are much better qualified than me about these things, but why are we driving a big heavy tractor on a pitch that’s soft? Surely that can do more damage than good?

The tyres are slicks and they are wide so they don't  actually make much of a mark and it has a roller on the back of it as well. That must have been borderline today with the amount of water that was on it yesterday. Hiring a road roller and driving that up and down the park would be more of a concern than that tractor being on it.