SPFL 3 on the way

7 hours ago, Greenmachine said:

Looks like SPFL 3 with B teams is on the way.

Please get this into the water asap. Bad enough playing these teams in the challenge cup never mind the lowland league.

probably boycot these teams, what happened to their own reserve league.

I'm with the majority. I think it's massively patronising to have your team play 'b' teams, and it would make the league tinpot - which is how I now consider the Lowland League - my interest in it has diminished to zero and I skip straight over it and look for the WOSL results nowadays.

There should be a reserve league, or nothing at all. 

Edited by G_&_T

I can't see this ridiculous idea going anywhere, at least I hope not. What's the plan? Set up a L3 for B Teams (and we all know what that really means) and slot it in between L2 and the HL and LL? Well that'll kill any incentive for the last two leagues teams. Pushed aside for B Teams, ffs. The clue is in the name - B Team - not a stand alone team, but one directly connected to a "bigger" team. Get this idea punted asap. 

40 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I can't see this ridiculous idea going anywhere, at least I hope not. What's the plan? Set up a L3 for B Teams (and we all know what that really means) and slot it in between L2 and the HL and LL? Well that'll kill any incentive for the last two leagues teams. Pushed aside for B Teams, ffs. The clue is in the name - B Team - not a stand alone team, but one directly connected to a "bigger" team. Get this idea punted asap. 

If the Lowland League clubs end up shafted I won't shed a tear, they've kept this shite alive by letting them in "for one year only".

11 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If the Lowland League clubs end up shafted I won't shed a tear, they've kept this shite alive by letting them in "for one year only".

Aye, if anything were to happen (which it won't) it would be the WoSFL / EoSFL teams I'd feel for. Having been encouraged to jump ship and join the pyramid, put in loads of hard work to get to the stage they are, only to have another major obstacle placed infront of them.

It won't happen, but as you say the Lowland league clubs have a lot to answer for.

Edited by AuAl

7 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Aye, if anything were to happen (which it won't) it would be the WoSFL / EoSFL teams I'd feel for. Having been encouraged to jump ship and join the pyramid, put in loads of hard work to get to the stage they are, only to have another major obstacle placed infront of them.

It won't happen, but as you say the Lowland league clubs have a lot to answer for.

Not all of the LL clubs............

Anyone who airily dismisses further change I think underestimates the resolve of the OF to further their own ends.  Having annexed Scottish senior football at the top end, they are now doing similar in the women's game, and IMO they will push hard to further embed their B teams in the senior structure.

Sure it might all be mince, but perhaps it's interesting that this issue has resurfaced shortly after Peter Lawwell has returned to Celtic.  And let us never forget that when we have owners and Directors of cash-strapped smaller clubs, principles and the impassioned views of supporters can become sidelined when money is dangled, even if it is obviously Fools Gold. 

I can't really be bothered reading through the whole thread - so would this be a new division below us and above the Lowland/Highland League? Thus LL and HL teams would need to be promoted twice to reach the old 'senior' leagues? I can't see that getting much support.

I saw Mick Kennedy's Tweet the other day and, despite obvious questions about the long-term sustainability of clubs like Darvel, he's been a strong voice in opposition to the way Colt teams and the LL sides who supported them have shafted the WOSFL clubs.

OKI is absolutely spot on above RE the OF clubs too, especially with the comparison to the woman's game. Previously they didn't give a single shit about it. But as soon as popularity grew they suddenly chucked big money at it, looking to dominate. Now they've wangled a way into the lower leagues they'll want to dominate at this level too - hoovering up more support and more talent to add to their bloated squads.

The only interest of the people running Rangers and Celtic should be Rangers and Celtic. I understand that. But the rest of the clubs (again) need to show a united front and tell them where to go. All the scab Lowland League sides who have supported them are letting every other club at their level down. Hopefully it was worth it to have 250 folk turn up and watch a bunch of full-time 19 year olds on £2k a week stick six past them.

If anything the Lowland League experiment has shown that there isn't a particularly large B-team away following which erodes one major argument. 

Equally, given the current B teams are hardly dominating the LL, I'm not sure how far they'd be able to travel up the system anyway. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The downside is that a lot of the most progressive clubs, who are the most likely ones to be promoted, are the ones who have voted against B teams fairly consistently. It's the Lowland League hangers on plus the newer clubs (Broomhill, East Kilbride) who have mostly pushed it through.

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

If anything the Lowland League experiment has shown that there isn't a particularly large B-team away following which erodes one major argument. 

Absolutely, plus the Challenge Cup. When lower league sides have been faced with "SPL" B Teams, there has been a massive exodus of support in my experience.

On 10/01/2023 at 21:12, GNU_Linux said:

Seemingly the proposal includes upping SPFL requirements from an entry level license to a bronze one which reads likes a sweetener to try & get lower league clubs on board given that only two (I think) non-league clubs are bronze. This will come to nothing just like the however many previous proposals have come before & serves as a reminder that reconstruction of any kind is very unlikely to happen as someone will bolt colts onto it.

Spartans (currently top of the LL) have a bronze licence. Would the ex Scottish League clubs Cowden, Berwick and Brechin have one?

47 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Spartans (currently top of the LL) have a bronze licence. Would the ex Scottish League clubs Cowden, Berwick and Brechin have one?

Of the lowland League teams, Spartans, Cowdenbeath and Cumbernauld have bronze licences.

None of the Highland League clubs do according to the link below.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/media/8937/140622-club-licensing-awards.pdf