New sayings that us old duffers won't understand

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Folk on here have tried to explain the phrase “jumped the shark” to me but I’m still none the wiser. 

Same way that "Growing the beard" means a show gets good.

In reference to Riker bearding up in Star Trek. Coincidingwith TNG becoming better.

21 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Folk on here have tried to explain the phrase “jumped the shark” to me but I’m still none the wiser. 

Let's see if Wikipedia can succeed where P+B failed...

The idiom "jumping the shark" was coined in 1985 by Jon Hein in response to a 1977 episode from the fifth season of the American sitcom Happy Days, in which Fonzie (Henry Winkler) jumps over a shark while on water-skis. The phrase is pejorative and is used to argue that a creative work or outlet appears to be making a stunt in a seemingly exhaustive attempt to generate elevated attention or publicity to something that was once perceived as popular, but is no longer.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

This is straight out of the subculture that begat grime rap. I do enjoy grime tbh.

Predates that by quite a bit. Origin of “axe” for “ask” seems to trace back to the New Orleans music scene, and specifically broke out on a 1975 single “They all ask’d for you” by The Meters.

I don’t give two hoots if ‘the kids’ today use phrases or sayings that only they use, or understand, but the one thing that I really have trouble accepting is this - in my day, if someone was classed as a ‘celebrity’, it was generally because whatever their talent or skill was, it had taken them into the public conciousness. Be it singing, playing an instrument, acting, comedy, whatever. I don’t think I will ever, ever, get my head around someone being ‘a celebrity’ because they are an ‘influencer’. Fashion advice and make-up tips online? Millions of followers? 

Get yer’sel tae’ fcuk…

Just my opinion, as an auld miserable barsteward… 

1 hour ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Apparently the word dropped doesnt mean sacked or abandoned anymore.

i heard on the radio that Little Mix had dropped their new single and i said to my daughter "thats a shame, they must not have been happy with it"

blank looks.

Dropped is actually quite an old saying for DJ's and dates back to the LP days of radio broadcasting, which comes from "dropping" the needle on the record.

Of course, we associate "dropped" with a shite player who no longer gets to warm the bench.

20 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Kinda died a death now anyway. And the shoes will when he changes his name to Ilikena

Ngl I'm waiting on Ye to proclaim he's DB Cooper & the Mothman.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I don’t give two hoots if ‘the kids’ today use phrases or sayings that only they use, or understand, but the one thing that I really have trouble accepting is this - in my day, if someone was classed as a ‘celebrity’, it was generally because whatever their talent or skill was, it had taken them into the public conciousness. Be it singing, playing an instrument, acting, comedy, whatever. I don’t think I will ever, ever, get my head around someone being ‘a celebrity’ because they are an ‘influencer’. Fashion advice and make-up tips online? Millions of followers? 

Get yer’sel tae’ fcuk…

Just my opinion, as an auld miserable barsteward… 

I am similar with those considered "celebs" because they have been in some reality show which I have never seen and never will.

Although I did enjoy the big girl falling on ice.