New sayings that us old duffers won't understand

10 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Well I'm even more clueless and out of touch than I thought. I always assumed it came from mistyping 'gonna' one key to the left.

These crazy kids are out of control.

It's used a lot in White Men Can't Jump from 1992.

30 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

Hack,

Because tip was such a long difficult word they looked for a way to make it more concise and shorter....and failed. Oh my days the youth of today.

This makes me laugh. You get the same mental impractical shite that you'd get in Bella or Chat presented by an orange person on tik tok and it's suddenly "cool". 

I looked up Cheese hacks for some arbitrary examples and they haven't disappointed. No 1- keep cheese fresh by......... 

Drumroll....... 

Wrapping it. 

Also, if your toastie maker is broken, use tin foil and an iron. Pure Woman's Own/Viz. 

https://www.taste.com.au/quick-easy/articles/9-cheese-hacks-youve-never-heard-of/q0q8algu

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

This makes me laugh. You get the same mental impractical shite that you'd get in Bella or Chat presented by an orange person on tik tok and it's suddenly "cool". 

Also, if your toastie maker is broken, use tin foil and an iron. Pure Woman's Own/Viz. 

https://www.taste.com.au/quick-easy/articles/9-cheese-hacks-youve-never-heard-of/q0q8algu

Shirley the best way is to use  a frying pan to make a toastie anyway . 

4 hours ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Love that film but can't recall hearing that phrase, can you remember roughly what part?

Trash talk on one of the 3-on-3 scenes - "Ah'm fittin' to dawg you punk! Ah'm fittin' to dawwwwg you!!"

For me, its the gushiness of the way some of the youngsters talk to each other.

"Oh my god, you are the best, that is soooooo super nice of you".

In my day, we just used to say "Cheers for that".

yours sincerely

Grumpy McGrumpface.

3 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Hack,

Because tip was such a long difficult word they looked for a way to make it more concise and shorter....and failed. Oh my days the youth of today.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

I looked up Cheese hacks for some arbitrary examples and they haven't disappointed. No 1- keep cheese fresh by......... 

Drumroll....... 

Wrapping it. 

I think the difference is that a tip is good advice that others may not know and so appreciate, whereas a 'hack' is inevitably something that most folk know but the poster has only just sussed out, and so they think they are very clever.

2 hours ago, Antlion said:

No sure why YouTubers are intent on making “by accident” a thing of the past and replacing it with the fucking stupid and nonsensical “on accident”.

Suspect this is down to the continual "Americanization" of language.

18 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

For me, its the gushiness of the way some of the youngsters talk to each other.

"Oh my god, you are the best, that is soooooo super nice of you".

In my day, we just used to say "Cheers for that".

yours sincerely

Grumpy McGrumpface.

Another example, I suspect, of the obsession with American culture.

1 hour ago, Arthur daley said:

And don’t get me started on everyone calling there self an “influencer “ 

Surely if anything they are  promoters anyway? For me, (societal) influencers are those people and events who basically split their sphere into 'Before' and 'After' them - the Beatles in music, Reagan/Thatcher in politics, Pele in football and whatever else... Posting a pic of yourself with a new designer handbag, pissing about with some trend on TikTok or playing a lot of video games is merely a promotion of the status quo, i.e. stuff that is already established.