Players who carried your team.

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Our promotion to the SPL in 2006/07 would never have happened without the colossal efforts from Kirk Broadfoot.

I'm guessing you mean Broadfoot's efforts in securing survival in the first season in the SPL, particularly after he'd signed his pre-contract. If so, you are 100% correct and it was the reason he went to Rangers with universal good will. It was his actions afterwards when being shown good will that marked him out as a total walloper.

The season we went up was certainly not a one-man effort with Charlie Adam, John Sutton and Mark Reilly among others all also being consistently superb for us.

Not over  a[prolonged spell, but Gardyne. de Vita and Sproule immediately spring to mind. Wilkie for the four games he got for us where he desperately tried to fill in for a defence of complete riddies was something to watch.

Without Lawrence Shankland in 2019-20 I wonder if Dundee United would have been as far ahead in the race for promotion. When he was out of sorts and not scoring, the team struggled. There were very few games we lost and actually scored a goal, and it took the club until late December to win a game in which Shankland didn't score.

50 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Without Lawrence Shankland in 2019-20 I wonder if Dundee United would have been as far ahead in the race for promotion. When he was out of sorts and not scoring, the team struggled. There were very few games we lost and actually scored a goal, and it took the club until late December to win a game in which Shankland didn't score.

Shankland that season was one who immediately sprung to mind for us most recently, particularly that 2-1 win against Arbroath when we robbed them with 2 goals from Shankland in injury time. But I'd never even thought how long it took us to win without his goals. I checked to see when our first win without him scoring actually was; it was against QotS in late November rather than December, but still that's a bit mad.

I'd also suggest that Benji Siegrist carried us for most of the following season. Mickey Mellon shat it after a couple of humpings on the trot in the league and for months sent out misery-inducing, negative and unambitious line-ups. Not only was Shankland completely wasted up front, but it turned out we weren't actually particularly good at shitfesting, so the opposition still got plenty of chances every match. Fortunately, Siegrist was inspired that season and single handedly won us points in more games than I care to remember, although the 1-1 draw at Easter Road does always stick out. We scored a last minute equaliser that had some Hibs fans on here spitting feathers as they'd battered us all game only for Siegrist repeatedly to keep us in touch. 

Without him I'd argue there's a very real chance we could have gone straight back down that season, and he deserves far more credit for our ultimately comfortable survival in the end than Mellon does.

12 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

While it was really just a meaningless mid-table season, the most obvious difference one Morton player being in the team has made to results in my recollection.

First Division 2008/09

Morton with Allan Jenkins in the starting 11: P20 W11 D5 L4
Morton without Allan Jenkins in the starting 11: P16 W1 D6 L9

Title winning form with him, bottom by a mile form without him.

Jenkins always looked fantastic against us, liked him allot as a player. 

Dunfermline had Allan McGregor on loan for a season, without him we were absolutely getting relegated. Fantastic keeper. 

Ryan Stevenson for a few years up till 2010. Absolutely loved him and he was capable of winning games by himself quite a lot. Shame he's a fucking nutter.

Michael Moffat 2011-2014. f**k knows where we would be as a club if it weren't for his goals in that period. When he left, we came very close to ending up relegated to League 2 (and definitely would have had Mark Roberts not been punted). He returned a few years later and was still excellent for us, but it was a much better side so he didn't really 'carry' it. 

Tomi Adeloye last year maybe for similar reasons to above. We would almost definitely be in league 1 without his goals.

Edited by AuAl

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Brian Graham in 14/15 was my first thought. We sold May then lost MacLean to injury, and relied entirely on him scoring in 1-0 wins was my memory, but it turns out O'Halloran matched him goalswise that season.

Both got 9 league goals in a season our entire club managed 34.

We still somehow finished 4th!  

13 hours ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Jimmy O’Rourke got us to the original spl,almost single handed

Before my time that one.  Can’t remember the second season in the premier very well either, but feel Brogan did well to get 9 goals for a team that got relegated.

17 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

Darren Jackson (1996-97)

I was stewarding at Easter Road that season so I saw all your home games and Jackson was the first player that came to mind when I saw the thread title. He was so far ahead of the other 10 players that it must have been embarrassing for all concerned

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I was stewarding at Easter Road that season so I saw all your home games and Jackson was the first player that came to mind when I saw the thread title. He was so far ahead of the other 10 players that it must have been embarrassing for all concerned

Indeed and after he left at the end of the season, we of course got relegated the season after. Same thing again with Leigh Griffiths.

Can we please just skip next season?

Colin Cameron in 98-99 was remarkable.

Came back after almost the whole season injured to a side that had scored 2 goals in over two months and looked likely to go down.

Once he's back in the side we win 3-1 at United, 5-2 at Aberdeen, 4-0 at Motherwell, scud United 4-1 again just for a laugh, get a point at Ibrox, and finish a baw-hair off the top half of the league after what had looked like a sure-fire relegation.

Some man.

19 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Can't think of a player,

Absolutely Dave MacKay; not only great defender and captain but also an impressive goal tally.... but, above all else, remember what he had to deal with and how he stood up to the mad one who repeatedly failed to pay the staff and turned off the electricity to "teach the supporters a lesson".

3 hours ago, Durnford said:

Absolutely Dave MacKay; not only great defender and captain but also an impressive goal tally.... but, above all else, remember what he had to deal with and how he stood up to the mad one who repeatedly failed to pay the staff and turned off the electricity to "teach the supporters a lesson".

Still wouldn't say he carried the team, we've had lots of outstanding players but not single handedly winning games for us. He scored a lot of pens though, something we could do with just now.

Doubt we'd have won the cup without Fernandez being in the team for instance, but still wouldn't say he carried the team, just added that bit of class to make a difference to our cup winners, we had other cracking players doing their bit too though.

Looking at last and this seasons defence then it's got to be Andy Considine.

Check St J penalties conceded against Aberdeen's.

Everything could have been different if Andy hadn't got crippled last season.

/Hard to see it being worse

Edited by scoobles

5 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Still wouldn't say he carried the team, we've had lots of outstanding players but not single handedly winning games for us. He scored a lot of pens though, something we could do with just now.

Doubt we'd have won the cup without Fernandez being in the team for instance, but still wouldn't say he carried the team, just added that bit of class to make a difference to our cup winners, we had other cracking players doing their bit too though.

Was more thinking about him standing up to the mad one. As I recall even when he was transferred to St Johnstone he was still owed something like five months money.

On 16/01/2023 at 19:22, StellarHibee said:

Darren Jackson (1996-97)
Leigh Griffiths (2011-12)
Kevin Nisbet (right now)

Surprised you didnt include Martin Boyle in the list. 

His single handed destruction of Sevco in the LC semi final last season was a sight to behold...........and it was frightening our dropoff after he left for the Saudi petro dollars.

For United, I think the clear answer is Billy Dodds. If I recall, we were pretty comfortably in third place before we sold him to Rangers and then dropped like a stone, finishing 8th. The season after, we were very nearly relegated and would certainly have been if we hadn't bought pretty much an entirely new team across that season.