P&B Weight Observers Thread 23/24

5 minutes ago, The Derry said:

As long as you take your insulin properly you can eat whatever you want whenever you want with type 1 diabetes.

f**k knows about type 2, though.

Yeah with type 2 it is often lifestyle attributed so is managed/reversed through diet adjustment and medication.

6 minutes ago, The Derry said:

As long as you take your insulin properly you can eat whatever you want whenever you want with type 1 diabetes.

f**k knows about type 2, though.

Certainly true but always found that the less you eat (or alternatively the more you exercise), the easier it is to control with insulin.

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Certainly true but always found that the less you eat (or alternatively the more you exercise), the easier it is to control with insulin.

100%.  I am quite active in my job so I'm fortunate that way as my diet fucking stinks and I am the worlds worst at actually ever taking insulin.

Probs gonna die a diabetes related death.

I’ve always been on the heavier side growing up, not documentary fat but mainly a bit chubby. Got down to 11.5 stone at 21 and 2 years later after getting an office job and a girlfriend I was a massive 17st. Was getting Heartburn and bad acid reflux after every meal so made a change and got back down to 13st. 

Currently sitting at around 14.5 stone at 5 foot 9 but I am pretty fit. Can run 10k with no bother, can do a full day of hillwalking etc which my mates who are 2/3 stone less and similar heights couldn’t manage. 

Would like to get back into the 12-13 stone range, mainly to improve my 5k time 😂 

Yeah this is a good idea. My weight has fluctuated a fair bit over the last few years. I'll lose it, lose focus, start putting it back on, and do nothing about it until i'm back where I started.

Decided to lose it again. The wife is in the same boat, which is a massive help as she will then not bring cakes home from work etc, and we can do a proper meal plan and stick to it.

Decided to try one of those calorie guide / counting apps this time to give a target and sense of "earning" a small cake / beer or two at the weekend by being sensible at other times.

Also hoping it will help keep my focus this time when I get where I want to be by allowing for enjoying more things without doing so to excess.

I don't really need an app to tell me to eat less cakes and drink less beer tbh, but it's definitely more jarring to see the numbers on a page.

Good luck

Edited by Todd_is_God

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Yeah this is a good idea. My weight has fluctuated a fair bit over the last few years. I'll lose it, lose focus, start putting it back on, and do nothing about it until i'm back where I started.

Decided to lose it again. The wife is in the same boat, which is a massive help as she will then not bring cakes home from work etc, and we can do a proper meal plan and stick to it.

Decided to try one of those calorie guide / counting apps this time to give a target and sense of "earning" a small cake / beer or two at the weekend by being sensible at other times.

Also hoping it will help keep my focus this time when I get where I want to be by allowing for enjoying more things without doing so to excess.

I don't really need an app to tell me to eat less cakes and drink less beer tbh, but it's definitely more jarring to see the numbers on a page.

Good luck

I've found using an app very helpful. Very handy for keeping track and ensuring you stay within your calculated calorie deficit. Similarly, I do also use it to try and make sure I can have a couple of treats as well - diets can be very boring and having something to keep the motivation isn't bad at all. 

Likewise, I don't need an app to tell me I won't be losing weight stuffing my face with chocolate etc. either, but I don't have an indepth understanding of the number of calories in particular food items, so that's where it really comes in. Before using the app I found myself maintaining whilst I was making efforts to lose weight, which was hugely demotivating. Really pissed me off, in fact. But putting it on black and white had resolved that particular issue for me, particularly the things that are healthy and you should be eating, but which are also higher on calories than other things that are also healthy. I know if I have sea bass rather than salmon, for example, that there is more 'budget' for a treat that day. 

Down 1st 4lbs on where I started, albeit I was down a fair bit further and put on about 6lbs over Christmas. It is a bit tedious managing it pretty strictly, but it works. 

14 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I think they old adage of 'what gets measured, gets done' definitely applies to me. The act of actually monitoring helps me not to lose focus but it's easy to become obsessive about it.

Yeah, there is that. I try not to let it happen, but there are a few numbers permanently imprinted on my brain as a result of monitoring intake. Usually the ones where I was shocked at the calorie content and then realised the impact it would have on what else I could eat that day and remain on track. Hopefully, I'll not let that concern me when I can get to a weight I'm happier with and can stop tracking. 

A huge contributor is intake rate. In todays world, with the go-go-go pressure, it’s common to overeat simply because you are shoveling stuff in so fast your body has no time to tell you it’s starting to feel full. It can take 15-30 minutes for the body to signal, so there’s a few studies that suggest countries such as France and  Spain, where a casual and slow meal is more common, have better results of people not overeating due to time pressure.

The Barbell Medicine podcast has an episode this week on obesity and medication. Interesting background on the medical view of obesity etc. Its American so doesn’t necessarily apply to the UK and I doubt many people here would be keen on these medicines but they always have a lot of detail.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/barbell-medicine-podcast/id1199780143?i=1000595286237

might start this another day. it was wings wednesday in the pub and i had 1kg of them.  i know i can do it because ive done it before. lost a load of weight. started buying normal people clothes and then just put it back on.

Saturday ill do a weigh and then plan some meals for next week.

I did well getting down to 80 kg from 94 kg  last year but I've put 7 kg back on. Guess I'll have to do it all over again.

Not eating carbs, cutting down portion sizes and more walking worked for me but it takes a fair bit of time. Another thing that worked for me but would not be advisable is checking my weight every morning at the same time. It motivated me but I could see how it could demoralise other folk.

28 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I did well getting down to 80 kg from 94 kg  last year but I've put 7 kg back on. Guess I'll have to do it all over again.

Not eating carbs, cutting down portion sizes and more walking worked for me but it takes a fair bit of time. Another thing that worked for me but would not be advisable is checking my weight every morning at the same time. It motivated me but I could see how it could demoralise other folk.

Almost identical story for me except I stood on the scales once a week but at the exact same time of day and with the scales in exactly the same place on the floor of the bedroom. Reading that back it seems a bit obsessive. Did motivate me though.

31 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Almost identical story for me except I stood on the scales once a week but at the exact same time of day and with the scales in exactly the same place on the floor of the bedroom. Reading that back it seems a bit obsessive. Did motivate me though.

I'll confess to doing this.  Same morning every week but only after the morning shite. As if that would help...

25 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I'll confess to doing this.  Same morning every week but only after the morning shite. As if that would help...

Haha me too. Pants and specs off as well. Just as well the digital display is quite big.

Edited by jimbaxters

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I’ll confess to having tested that one…it’s measurable, and can be highly disturbing.