Motherwell vs St Johnstone, Wednesday 1 February, 2023

15 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Cost us a potential cup run as I thought it would at the time. 

Can we have a Hammell v Davidson contest pls?

We needed to win our final Betfred group game by 3 goals to qualify, we went 1 up after 2 minutes. 

We then preceeded to sit on that 1 goal lead and not bother pushing for another, treating the rest of the game like a friendly and finishing behind Annan and QOS in the group. Manager seemed happy enough as all the messages before the group stage started was it was all just a warm up to the league season (where we lost 4 of our first 5 games).

That came the season after we'd been knocked out the Scottish Cup by Kelty, where our managers brilliant, match winning, sub in extra time to snatch us victory was bringing Liam Craig on for Michael O'Halloran and keeping a back 5. He then moaned the players didnt follow his instructions.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can we have a Hammell v Davidson contest pls?

Record appearance holder in however long v man who delivered two cups in one year. Davidson edges it for me.

As a Well fan I can see why Saints fans want him gone. As a Well fan I can see why the club have not pulled the plug yet. Kind of stuck in the middle hoping it is not as bad as you fear.

If it is any consolation I want you to beat Livi this weekend. Just so we can go to Parkhead in with a shout of top 6 however unlikely that is. 

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

What a fucking moron.

This was the lowest of low points for us, defeats  to Aberdeen and Raith were almost ‘understandable’ given we had shown the depths of that night.

16 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Kind of stuck in the middle hoping it is not as bad as you fear.

We've spent ~£400k on players since last January, plus signed 7 "proven" experienced players on large wages in that time, and are losing more games than before.

The club arent sacking him because theres literally nobody running the club, not because theyre thinking it might right itself.

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That came the season after we'd been knocked out the Scottish Cup by Kelty, where our managers brilliant, match winning, sub in extra time to snatch us victory was bringing Liam Craig on for Michael O'Halloran

Did O’Halloran not get ‘injured’ about 5 minutes after coming on? In my memory it was as though he didn’t fancy it and chucked it, although I could be wrong

Interesting to see this thread exhumed as I never wanted to think of this game again - an absolute low point. 

While @welldaft is totally correct that Hammell should have walked/been sacked after this farce - we eventually did what was needed still with enough time to dig ourselves out of the deep hole we were in - and make no mistake, we were on our way down under Hammell. 

39 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Did O’Halloran not get ‘injured’ about 5 minutes after coming on? In my memory it was as though he didn’t fancy it and chucked it, although I could be wrong

Managed a half of extra time it seems like.

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

Including Motherwell fans. 

Worst Motherwell performance home or away for many a season. I would have binned Hammell straight away after FT.  That he got another league game and then the cup tie v Raith was due to his past status at the club. Cost us a potential cup run as I thought it would at the time. 

He'd also just been allowed to bring in a stack of new players so it would have seemed odd to not let him have the chance to see what they could do. I went into that St. Johnstone game with a surprising degree of optimism as I had kept reading how bad Saints were. We were comprehensively beaten without a whimper and I knew Hammel's time was up but probably had a few games left. 

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

He'd also just been allowed to bring in a stack of new players so it would have seemed odd to not let him have the chance to see what they could do. I went into that St. Johnstone game with a surprising degree of optimism as I had kept reading how bad Saints were. We were comprehensively beaten without a whimper and I knew Hammel's time was up but probably had a few games left. 

Our manager’s time was up 15 months ago for me. He’s had about 50 games too many.