Queens v Edinburgh

48 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I missed parts of the 1st half. 1st I've seen of the Paton headed opportunity, and the early headed chance for Edinburgh to be fair. I'd also forgotten about the chance Todd had too. And it doesn't even show the one where Hendrie was clean through and inexplicably looked for Murray rather than just scoring.

I was most interested to see the two Fontaine bookings again as on the day I thought the red card was a little harsh. I probably still do but they are both pretty cynical. The first's not an elbow as some had said but he does know Ruari's in danger of outrunning him and puts a hand across his face to block him. It's a foul, it's a free kick and, whilst it's not really dangerous per se, it is a pretty cynical denial of a good chance. I don't think he can have too many complaints at being booked for it, contrary to the commentator's incredulity. 2nd one is a booking all day if he does it and isn't on one so I suppose can't be complaining too much. It would have been easy to just give a free kick though given he's on a booking. He just barges Kabia away knowing he can't compete with him for legs. Again, it's not dangerous.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And it doesn't even show the one where Hendrie was clean through and inexplicably looked for Murray rather than just scoring.

The latest highlights do, and they confirm what I thought at the time.

The square pass is sensible and nicely weighted.  Murray didn't realise there was a defender on his shoulder and wanted too long.  I don't think the fault lay with Hendrie.

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The square pass is sensible and nicely weighted.  Murray didn't realise there was a defender on his shoulder and wanted too long.  I don't think the fault lay with Hendrie.

Aye that's how I saw it tbh. Even taking my view of Murray being shite out the equation I think it's objectively poor from him. He wanted far too long as you say. Fontaine looked to be blocking Hendrie's view of goal as well from that angle certainly, so not an easy chance for him. 

Thought it was a clear freekick for the goal tbh. But the yellow was a bit harsh. Sheer stupidity for the second though. Should have been more than 1 but I'll take 1-0 all day. 

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye that's how I saw it tbh. Even taking my view of Murray being shite out the equation I think it's objectively poor from him. He wanted far too long as you say. Fontaine looked to be blocking Hendrie's view of goal as well from that angle certainly, so not an easy chance for him. 

Nah, not having this. I accept Hendrie's a defender and not a natural goalscorer but the pass was needless overplay. He was in on goal with just the keeper to beat. I was pretty much in line with his angle. Murray had a defender on him. He maybe should have scored anyway but Hendrie had the easier chance.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Nah, not having this. I accept Hendrie's a defender and not a natural goalscorer but the pass was needless overplay. He was in on goal with just the keeper to beat. I was pretty much in line with his angle. Murray had a defender on him. He maybe should have scored anyway but Hendrie had the easier chance.

I can't argue about the angle you had as I assume you were in the old stand? But I still think it's far from an easy chance going by the (granted, poor quality) freeze frame below. I think the pass is the right option and if Murray goes to the ball instead of waiting then it's a tap in. Hendrie is about 16 yards out and the GK has narrowed the angle and it still looks like Fontaine could at the very least stick out a leg. I wouldn't have been expecting him to score there tbh. Murray also has the defender behind him. His hesitancy allows the defender to get in a challenge. 

Screenshot_20230206-001225.png

Edited by 19QOS19

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I can't argue about the angle you had as I assume you were in the old stand? But I still think it's far from an easy chance going by the (granted, poor quality) freeze frame below. I think the pass is the right option and if Murray goes to the ball instead of waiting then it's a tap in. Hendrie is about 16 yards out and the GK has narrowed the angle and it still looks like Fontaine could at the very least stick out a leg. I wouldn't have been expecting him to score there tbh. Murray also has the defender behind him. His hesitancy allows the defender to get in a challenge. 

Screenshot_20230206-001225.png

I was in the Main Stand, more or less behind the Directors Box and almost bang in line of Hendrie to the far post. That still's taken a fraction of a second later when he's already decided to pass and turned his body inward, and Fontaine's gotten a yard closer. He had a clear view of both posts and a keeper who hasn't come particularly far off his line. A decent hit to a couple of feet inside either post would have been a goal. He either wasn't confident enough to hit it or didn't see the defender the other side of Murray and thought it was a tap in open goal. To be fair the defender IS further away from Murray than I thought he was at the time. He probably should have scored anyway or at least put himself between ball and defender but I was incredibly frustrated Hendrie didn't just shoot. He's got a very good strike in him. As much as we never seriously looked like losing a goal after taking the lead (long range tip over aside) there was always that fear that we needed a 2nd goal and we would end up with another Alloa.

For the Hendrie/Murray "shoulda been a goal" debate, having seen the highlights I think it boils down to neither having that striker's natural instinct for goal.  If it had been a certain Dobbs that had been put through, he'd have shot first time early without taking a touch such that the keeper didn't have as much time to narrow him down.  Not having that natural striker's confidence Hendrie did a not unreasonable thing in picking out Murray who he thinks is in a better central position.  Although being a more forward thinking player, Murray doesn't move towards the ball which would have given him that extra fraction of second and a good striking position and so he gets closed down as a result.  So you put a natural striker in either position and there's a good chance we score there - but of course neither are natural strikers/scorers.