Memories of '83

I am not a Dons' fan but in 1983 when I worked and lived in London I travelled to Gothenburg.

I was SO proud to be Scottish and to lend my support to a team which was the very best in Europe at the time.

I had a phenomenal night with my fellow Scots and fell in with a lovely group with whom I drank the night away.

At the airport the following day they promised me that when - okay iF - thistle ever reached a European final then they would all be there by way of thanks!!!

I have never, ever forgotten Gothenburg.

Aberdeen are still a great club and I look forward to their again becoming a major force in Scotland...

1 hour ago, philrpbb said:

Aberdeen are still a great club and I look forward to their again becoming a major force in Scotland...

Well, there’s the opening line of Aberdeen’s next one-year permanent manager’s press conference written for him.

1 hour ago, philrpbb said:

I am not a Dons' fan but in 1983 when I worked and lived in London I travelled to Gothenburg.

I was SO proud to be Scottish and to lend my support to a team which was the very best in Europe at the time.

I had a phenomenal night with my fellow Scots and fell in with a lovely group with whom I drank the night away.

At the airport the following day they promised me that when - okay iF - thistle ever reached a European final then they would all be there by way of thanks!!!

I have never, ever forgotten Gothenburg.

A/S/L?

1983 was ace - Auf Wiedersehen Pet Series 1, Dallas still near its prime, Scarface, Trading Places, Spandau Ballet, The Kids from Fame, Billie Jean

- European football having teams like ourselves, United and 'iron curtain' stalwarts like CSKA Sofia, Widzew Lodz and Dinamo Bucharest making waves.........

It's never really got any better - despite technological advancements.

Edited by tarapoa

My abiding memory of the UEFA European Cup-Winners-Cup Final is shouting through the wee serving hatch from the living room to the kitchen that John Hewitt had scored.  I watched the whole thing by myself as my old dear had f**k all interest in football so went and did the ironing and my old boy was working.

35 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

My abiding memory of the UEFA European Cup-Winners-Cup Final is shouting through the wee serving hatch from the living room to the kitchen that John Hewitt had scored.  I watched the whole thing by myself as my old dear had f**k all interest in football so went and did the ironing and my old boy was working.

We had one of them in my parent's house, too.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

My memories are United won the league at Dens.

Mine too, went to Dens that day with my Arab pal, then retired to The Ship in Broughty Ferry at which point things became very hazy and I can't remember the rest of the evening!

As a Scot Gothenburg was brilliant though ... a Scottish team winning a European tournament without being one of the ugly sisters. Won't happen again sadly.

3 hours ago, tarapoa said:

1983 was ace - Auf Wiedersehen Pet Series 1, Dallas still near its prime, Scarface, Trading Places, Spandau Ballet, The Kids from Fame, Billie Jean

- European football having teams like ourselves, United and 'iron curtain' stalwarts like CSKA Sofia, Widzew Lodz and Dinamo Bucharest making waves.........

It's never really got any better - despite technological advancements.

**** Spandau Ballet and the ****s from Fame

14 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

**** Spandau Ballet and the ****s from Fame

I know - but anything from 1983 gets a bit of nostalgia credit in the bank where I'm concerned.  Now stop interrupting, I was watching Kajagoogoo on YouTube. 

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Ours was about 1ft square. No idea what the point was.

So was ours, it was handy for passing plates through from the kitchen if you ate in the living room. Which we did, up until my mother died, after that I think we - my father and I - ate in the kitchen, afair, on my odd visits.

As I said in another thread some time ago, I was in Gothenburg THAT night and have memories never to be forgotten.

On the bus to the game from the hotel I realised I’d left my match ticket behind and was so relieved to be able to buy another at the ground.

If anyone wants to buy said unused intact ticket I’m open to offers.

When walking out of the ground at the end, turned a corner and quite literally bumped into Archie McPherson who shoved a microphone in my face asking me who I thought was the MOM. My first time on TV with a great fucking spotlight shining on me and all I could think was “I’m not supposed to be here as I’d signed off work on the sick and I’m now totally screwed”. I managed to mumble something and stumbled away sharpish.

I stayed in the city afterwards rather than return to the outlying village hotel we were booked into and bounced about the city until morning.

The bemused locals had obviously been looking forward to testing their knowledge of English and were baffled when they couldn’t understand  a word the fans were saying.

This was my first experience with non alcoholic lager as I later found out I’d been fed it everywhere I went without knowing it and was still sober in the morning.

managed to bring back a big blue plastic Goteburg sign which “fell off” onto the platform at the train station which I only recently passed on to a Dons fan.

The airport on the way back had a big sign. “Rougvie never lets a Dago by” wrapped over a barrier. 

The returning plane had the fans trying to teach the stewardesses Doric and passing a hat round “for the driver”.

Thank you Aberdeen for the memories.

Edited by Hawkeye the Gnu