Diddy semi-final #1 - Hamilton's Academicals v The Beautiful South

Otis Blue

3 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

That defending for Accies first though ... story of our season .

Yip, it's galling because it was needless and, as you say, so typical of how we've been.

The reality is though, that Hamilton had far more good chances than we did, and deserved the win.

A final might have been nice, but I'm genuinely not too fussy.  A push towards the play-offs would be good, but I think we're probably looking more towards next season.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yip, it's galling because it was needless and, as you say, so typical of how we've been.

The reality is though, that Hamilton had far more good chances than we did, and deserved the win.

A final might have been nice, but I'm genuinely not too fussy.  A push towards the play-offs would be good, but I think we're probably looking more towards next season.

So typical of how we've been for years sadly.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Signed on a 2 year deal. He's been really poor for us and is available to go out on loan.

Dearie me.... the guy is a talented striker but reminds me of our Robbie Muirhead.

Robbie has been ...well I probably dont need to remind you of his track history.

Each clubs supporters has given him a hard time...lazy/not interested/ineffectual....whatever.

Whats it all about? .... confidence. He's got his self-belief back and now he's going to have to prove it.....enter George Oakley.

He's got a bit of competition to keep his place.No bad thing.Gavin probably needs the same.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

We lacked that bit of quality up front to seriously trouble Accies defence and Dabrowski kept us in it. But we weren't embarrassed and put in a decent shift.

We know where our problems lie and I'm sure Marvin will look to fix that close season. Just need to get what we can from the remaining league games and see where it takes us.

Was impressed with Muir thought he grew into the game after a shaky start. Dabrowski and Cochrane by far our two best players. Was confused how Todd wasn’t hooked as I thought he was the worst player on the park.

3 minutes ago, QoS99 said:

Was impressed with Muir thought he grew into the game after a shaky start. Dabrowski and Cochrane by far our two best players. Was confused how Todd wasn’t hooked as I thought he was the worst player on the park.

All about opinions but I thought Todd was good tonight..

I'd agree Cochrane and Dabrowski were our best.

Muir shows real promise.

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

All about opinions but I thought Todd was good tonight..

I'd agree Cochrane and Dabrowski were our best.

Muir shows real promise.

He was holding on to the ball too long for me. Also thought he was hiding, he’d go stand behind a man then ask for the ball. He kept taking the ball of Dabrowski with his back to goal in the first half as well, and by the time he took a touch to turn he had a man on him. Just found him really frustrating, not been the player he was last season anytime I’ve seen him this season.

8 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Did rangers b not get to the quarters or semis b4 going out to Inverness a couple of seasons ago?

They did. Following a very fortunate draw which saw them beat Stranraer early on and then not play another Scottish side before Inverness in the semi final. They met Ballymena, Solihull and Wrexham sides who all were not taking the thing particularly seriously. To be fair that Rangers team was a damned good group and was unlucky against ICT too. When you look at it now the team that lost narrowly to Inverness had Nathan Patterson in it along with the likes of Rhys Breen, James Maxwell, Ciaran Dickson and Dapo Mebude who all played for us in the Championship. Also Kai Kennedy, Josh McPake and Jake Hastie who played very good Championship football (spell in the Premiership with Motherwell for Hastie).

I guess that Rangers squad were the exception to the 'they get turfed out early as soon as they play anyone of note' rule.

2 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Run out of steam in extra time.

We had plenty of the ball but lacked quality in the box .

Every player gave 100 % can't ask any more than that. 

Rare though it is I'm going to agree with every word of that. I'll need to go for a wee lie down.

I thought we were very good first half in general play. Took the game to Accies from kick off and the vast majority of the 1st 45 mins was played in the Accies half. The goal was miles against the run of play. Haven't seen it again since seeing it live but East trying to shepherd a ball out that was never quite getting there when we defended cross balls perfectly well all night was a bad error. Just put it out for a throw and organise. As much as we did dominate the first half though we didn't really threaten much in front of goal other than the Paton free kick that narrowly went over. Keeper could have been replaced with me and we'd still have got nil.

Second half I didn't think we were as good and the game became largely 50/50 albeit with Accies having far more of the good chances. The goal was fortunate but over 90 minutes deserved and I'm delighted for Ross Irving finally getting a first team goal. He's worked really hard to get himself back to this position after being released by Allan Johnston.

Extra time was a bit end to end initially although Accies continued to have the better chances and the one man wall that was Dabrowski kept repelling them (and of course THAT miss). Once they scored we didn't really ever get that close to equalising though which is disappointing. We did run out of legs. We made 6 outfield subs and still had at least one struggling his way through the extra time with cramp.

I'm gutted we lost (I for one take this tournament seriously) and I think it was harsh on us based on how we played over the piece but I accept we didn't actually hurt Accies enough in the final third and ultimately they'll point to all the best chances and the fact our keeper was Man of the Match, and they wouldn't be wrong.

Good luck to Accies in the final.

Agree on the Cochrane front - he was excellent and I thought Todd and Paton were also very good along with the GK. Plenty of effort but fitness levels found wanting in ET despite introducing at least 5 subs(I lost count). Hamilton were much stronger in ET and overall were the better side but not by much.

Personally I thought it was asking a lot to play Ryan  Muir at RCB in a back 3. He could have slotted in nicely in a back 4 at RB. We seem to persevere with a 3 even when we don’t have the personnel to play it?

We certainly missed Brydon, Kabia and Logan - it was a shame they were ineligible as it would have made a big difference..