The Travel Vloggers Thread

Highland Capital

Moving on from the YouTube thread, thought it might be a good idea to have a proper thread for good travel videos and vloggers.  I fair chunk of travel YouTubers seem to be oddballs, pick-up artist creeps and narcissists, but are there any good ones out there?

28 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Noel Phillips stuff is alright. 

He seems like a nice enough guy but I don't really get what he gets from travel.  He flew to Mongolia a few while back and didn't leave the airport - just flew off to the next place.  I know that location isn't really his raison d'etre but it just felt like such a waste flying somewhere so unique yet not seeing any of it.

43 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

He seems like a nice enough guy but I don't really get what he gets from travel.  He flew to Mongolia a few while back and didn't leave the airport - just flew off to the next place.  I know that location isn't really his raison d'etre but it just felt like such a waste flying somewhere so unique yet not seeing any of it.

Would like to see him travel around the city he visits and show all the sights. 

I've really enjoyed stuff by Vaga Bond recently.  He's a Russian guy (who I think has gotten out recently and moved to Turkey) but he mostly rides freight trains in Russia, Eastern Europe and Asia.  There was also one where he got to the last town in Russia where it meets with China and North Korea.  Some interesting stuff.

Edited by Highland Capital

• 2 weeks later...

Used to watch a channel called Indigo Traveller quite a lot, think he's a Kiwi. Doesn't post as frequently anymore but still tends to get a lot of good content. Seems to have built up quite a few official contacts and relationships with NGO's and local guides over time so he tends to be able to get around quite well and see a lot of "local" stuff in the places he visits. Has come under a bit of fire before for what some see as "poverty tourism" but tbh I've never seen it that way.

The suggestions in the above posts above for Vaga Bond and Simple Railways are good ones. I like that kinda stuff a lot, but can understand trains and that sorta things isn't for everything.

Edited by AuAl

On 24/02/2023 at 00:28, AuAl said:

Used to watch a channel called Indigo Traveller quite a lot, think he's a Kiwi. Doesn't post as frequently anymore but still tends to get a lot of good content. Seems to have built up quite a few official contacts and relationships with NGO's and local guides over time so he tends to be able to get around quite well and see a lot of "local" stuff in the places he visits. Has come under a bit of fire before for what some see as "poverty tourism" but tbh I've never seen it that way.

The suggestions in the above posts above for Vaga Bond and Simple Railways are good ones. I like that kinda stuff a lot, but can understand trains and that sorta things isn't for everything.

I watch Indigo Traveller's content, he has links to charities local to his content. I find his stuff very interesting.

On 11/02/2023 at 16:00, Lyle Lanley said:

Noel Phillips stuff is alright. 

Do you not think he’s a wee bit huffy?

If you can put up with the ‘everythings awesome’ american personality then Kate and Nate are good, well i say that, i basically just fancy her. Good variety, go to some pretty cool places too. I like the airline guys but theres only so many times you can watch Jeb Brooks review business class on united or whatever.

There is a wee Scottish guy who basically goes to pretty shitty places around the world, astounded he hasnt been murdered. 

If youre planning a trip to Orlando/Disney id recommend Adam Hatton or L&R dreaming. Tim Tracker can be a wee bit biased. 

4 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Maybe its just his mannerisms but ive always found him like that, so much so that i just wont watch his videos anymore. Im encouraging of legitimate criticism but saw one where he was whinging about a budget airline, mate ffs. 

Last one I watched was when of the airlines lost his bag and he used that as an excuse to head home. Not really the end of the world. Go out and buy some cheap clothes until your bag turns up. :lol: 

One thing I noticed about Noel Phillips is that he talks to the staff at the desks sometimes, not particularly rudely, but with a bit of a tone that suggests he thinks he’s much more important than he is. I’m sometimes half-expecting him to give it the “don’t you know who I am?” line.  

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I just don’t really understand what he gets from travelling. A lot of places he flies to seem really interesting yet he seems to just fly in and fly out again. I don’t get what’s interesting about that. It’s not like he’s doing big train journeys or something where you can look at scenery on the way. Same goes for airports; even if you think of fancier ones you’ve been to, they still aren’t *that* exciting. 

Edited by Highland Capital

13 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

One thing I noticed about Noel Phillips is that he talks to the staff at the desks sometimes, not particularly rudely, but with a bit of a tone that suggests he thinks he’s much more important than he is. I’m sometimes half-expecting him to give it the “don’t you know who I am?” line.  

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I just don’t really understand what he gets from travelling. A lot of places he flies to seem really interesting yet he seems to just fly in and fly out again. I don’t get what’s interesting about that. It’s not like he’s doing big train journeys or something where you can look at scenery on the way. Same goes for airports; even if you think of fancier ones you’ve been to, they still aren’t *that* exciting. 

Travelling around Oceania and Asia for example. Would be great to see some of the scenery from that area of the world instead of him flying in and out again. He would get more subscribers doing stuff like that. 

4 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Travelling around Oceania and Asia for example. Would be great to see some of the scenery from that area of the world instead of him flying in and out again. He would get more subscribers doing stuff like that. 

A while back he went to some of the Stans and to Mongolia.  Didn't see any of them - just flew in and flew out again.  What a waste.

Watched a lot of videos by a guy called HereBeBarr before (and after actually :() visiting New York. He's a local and only focusses on NYC but thought it was a really handy channel for newbies like myself. 

Probably wouldn't have known about the 'monks', Disney characters and CD guys if I hadn't watched. Which was just as well as I'm the kind of person who takes leaflets from folk out of kindness, and I was offered a CD while I was there. 

Noel Phillips is just there to review the airline and the airport, no? A waste in my view as well given he goes to some pretty interesting places, but it's a genre. 

I've only watched a few of his videos, didn't mind them albeit he can be a bit huffy as outlined already. No interest in watching his reviews of a £7k Business Class ticket on Qatar or Singapore Airlines, though. The whining is at least justified when down sitting down the back on some tinpot SE Asian airline that is about four weeks from going bust.  

Edited by Michael W

• 1 month later...