The 'How To Take Years Off Your Life' thread

Having Ayr United and Scotland as the football teams I support.

Non Footballing one, those Nerdz sweeties I used to love when I was young in hindisight were just sugar coated in more sugar. Extra food colouring for added health benefits?

Can't imagine a tub of Chicken Micro Noodles were that good for long term health either.

I spent a year working in a quarry breaking rocks. No masks so you essentially just spent 8 hours a day inhaling silica dust. On one of my last days, Health & Safety showed up and made us wear a small machine that simulated breathing and would record the quality of the air. Mine broke after two hours.

Also spent a few weeks replacing ceiling tiles in a school over the summer. As soon as the school started back up for the new year it was closed again due to asbestos in the roof.

From the age of 18 until around 30 I estimate that I drunk heavily, on average around 5 days a week. I’d be surprised if that doesn’t do the trick. I cut down to every other weekend for the next 8 years and have barely touched a drop over the last 2 years, barring a couple of heavy sessions last April. Probably bought those 20 years back.

Edited by Ross.

1 minute ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

I spent a year working in a quarry breaking rocks. No masks so you essentially just spent 8 hours a day inhaling silica dust. On one of my last days, Health & Safety showed up and made us wear a small machine that simulated breathing and would record the quality of the air. Mine broke after two hours.

Also spent a few weeks replacing ceiling tiles in a school over the summer. As soon as the school started back up for the new year it was closed again due to asbestos in the roof.

I worked in a flour mill cleaning out the road tankers for about three weeks. We had masks but they were just the pishy DIY ones and i was coughing up dough for weeks after. 

+ drinking too much for 30 years, Smoking for 20 years, smoking pot with bits of plastic and shit in it, taking drugs of dubious provenance, king rib suppers, wham bars and one time putting a bit of radioactive source in my mouth for a dare during physics. 

But for the sake of my claim, it was the flour that done it. 

52 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Inspired by @Florentine_Pogen.

I used to work nightshift and apparently that takes about 20 years off your life.

Do you do or have you done anything that takes years off your life?

Amusingly, the stats for my job are that those that retire early die earlier than those that retire at the statutory maximum (or beyond, there are wrangles that let you do that now). Of course, the job also included shift work, over-night shifts, sedentary work conditions, stress, and absolute p***ks as managers…I probably should clock out next week according to the stats…we’ll see.

27 minutes ago, Ross. said:

From the age of 18 until around 30 I estimate that I drunk heavily, on average around 5 days a week. I’d be surprised if that doesn’t do the trick. I cut down to every other weekend for the next 8 years and have barely touched a drop over the last 2 years, barring a couple of heavy sessions last April. Probably bought those 20 years back.

The liver is the only organ that can self heal so drinking when you’re relatively young is probably not going to take the years off your life if you give it a break in later life. I bet your liver will be as healthy as a 30 something your age who has never drunk before if you have abstained for a couple years.

3 minutes ago, throbber said:

The liver is the only organ that can self heal so drinking when you’re relatively young is probably not going to take the years off your life if you give it a break in later life. I bet your liver will be as healthy as a 30 something your age who has never drunk before if you have abstained for a couple years.

Yeah, that was why I mentioned buying those 30 years back! Two glasses of wine since April and I don’t really see me drinking moderately, let alone returning to binges or more often than not.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Inspired by @Florentine_Pogen.

I used to work nightshift and apparently that takes about 20 years off your life.

Do you do or have you done anything that takes years off your life?

Smoking. It may not have taken years off my life (I'm over 70, so have lived my three score years and ten), but it has made the latter ones less pleasant

47 minutes ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

Worse than a morning killing cows, I imagine...

Quite similar to @coprolite

Smoked from 12/13 til I was 36.

Drank from similar age, but quite heavily from age 17 (worked with older guys and the pub at lunchtime was a regular, as was fridays and all weekend with mates). Probably calmed down from about age 40.

Was partial to the odd illegal substance, a bit of coke, a lot of speed, some E's and the inevitable hash. Again, not for last 15 years or so.

Add in to that the come down diet of sugary juice, doner kebabs, pizzas, suppers etc, its a bloody miracle I made it to my mid 50s at all.

Luckily I have exercised a lot over the years, so I have probably bought a few years back.

So glad my son is much less of a radge....................