The 'How To Take Years Off Your Life' thread

1 hour ago, Oystercatcher said:

breathing anything into your lungs other than oxygen must surely be detrimental. When will we see those that vape with incurable lung conditions?

Just to be pedantic.

Air is mainly a combination of 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and 1% Argon.  Perfectly healthy.

By contrast, pure oxygen is detrimental in the long term.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

Just to be pedantic.

Air is mainly a combination of 78% Nitrogen, 21% Oxygen and 1% Argon.  Perfectly healthy.

By contrast, pure oxygen is detrimental in the long term.

Sorry about that.

breathing anything in to your lungs other than 78% nitrogen 21% oxygen and 1% argon must surely be detrimental?

14 hours ago, throbber said:

The lungs can’t clean themselves out and preserve themselves the way the liver can though. I suppose the liver is there as the main digestive organ and has to be resilient to whatever gets thrown at it when the lungs are primarily there just to enable the human to breathe and haven’t evolved in such a way that they need to repair themselves until people started loading themselves up with toxins for pleasure.

The fatty liver and other conditions you have mentioned don’t mean that the liver will be self sustainable if you leave it alone of course and there are irreversible diseases that can attack any organ. It was a fatty liver that killed George Michael. 

I would have said the stomach was the main digestive organ, while the liver is a major cleansing organ.

As I understand it, alcohol does not attack the liver.  The liver sees it as another toxin to get rid of.  If you drink too much, the liver will eventually be overwhelmed.

The liver does multiple tasks, it is the largest gland in the body, the second largest organ (after skin) and provides the central heating for your body.

39 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I would have said the stomach was the main digestive organ, while the liver is a major cleansing organ.

As I understand it, alcohol does not attack the liver.  The liver sees it as another toxin to get rid of.  If you drink too much, the liver will eventually be overwhelmed.

The liver does multiple tasks, it is the largest gland in the body, the second largest organ (after skin) and provides the central heating for your body.

Also when you drink the liver is so occupied with getting rid of the toxicity of alcohol that it doesn’t carry out the rest of its functions properly and other health risks can come into play. People often talk about the calories in alcohol being what makes you fat but the body stores more fat when you’re drinking because the liver is more concerned with the toxins that it is unable to digest the food as efficiently as it would like. This is why we get the awful shites when drinking.

2 hours ago, throbber said:

Also when you drink the liver is so occupied with getting rid of the toxicity of alcohol that it doesn’t carry out the rest of its functions properly and other health risks can come into play. People often talk about the calories in alcohol being what makes you fat but the body stores more fat when you’re drinking because the liver is more concerned with the toxins that it is unable to digest the food as efficiently as it would like. This is why we get the awful shites when drinking.

The easiest way to describe it is that alcohol is a poison to the body (it is). Because of this, the liver tosses aside all tasks not absolutely essential to continued life to concentrate on neutralizing/removing the poison (alcohol) in your bloodstream. This is why the amount of alcohol can be a huge factor in damage to the body, because the liver spends increasing amount of time distracted, and in the ultimate cases can never fully clear the toxins before the next dose gets consumed.

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

The easiest way to describe it is that alcohol is a poison to the body (it is). Because of this, the liver tosses aside all tasks not absolutely essential to continued life to concentrate on neutralizing/removing the poison (alcohol) in your bloodstream. This is why the amount of alcohol can be a huge factor in damage to the body, because the liver spends increasing amount of time distracted, and in the ultimate cases can never fully clear the toxins before the next dose gets consumed.

Yeah this is why I was saying binging once a week would probably be more favourable than drinking less but every day. I got into fasting 4 years ago and have 2 days a week when I don’t eat until I get home from work and as far as I’m concerned that gives all the organs time to get themselves back in shape before and after the weekends drinking.

I’ve actually heard of extreme cases of pish pottery when the liver stops working altogether to the point people are pissing out the alcohol they have consumed. Not sure if this is just a horror story or not though.

6 hours ago, throbber said:

I must add that I am not a doctor. 

Even if you are a binge drinker who hammers it every weekend but stops throughout the week you aren’t at high risk of long term illness as you’re giving the liver the time to recover and do it’s other function. The damage comes from hammering it daily and overworking it. Pretty much like every piece of equipment I suppose.

I had a good skinful last night, not sure what I was thinking tbh.

With that username most likely a Police officer .

43 minutes ago, throbber said:

Yeah this is why I was saying binging once a week would probably be more favourable than drinking less but every day. I got into fasting 4 years ago and have 2 days a week when I don’t eat until I get home from work and as far as I’m concerned that gives all the organs time to get themselves back in shape before and after the weekends drinking.

I’ve actually heard of extreme cases of pish pottery when the liver stops working altogether to the point people are pissing out the alcohol they have consumed. Not sure if this is just a horror story or not though.

I thought that is how Tennants lager was made  .

Reading the last couple of pages of this thread I reckon that if they put @throbber and @TxRover in charge of a new round of public information films we could reduce alcohol deaths by half well inside a decade.

They speak the language of the man in the street and are able to convey the message both eloquently and succinctly. Sign them up Humza! 

Just now, alta-pete said:

Reading the last couple of pages of this thread I reckon that if they put @throbber and @TxRover in charge of a new round of public information films we could reduce alcohol deaths by half well inside a decade.

They speak the language of the man in the street and are able to convey the message both eloquently and succinctly. Sign them up Humza! 

Christ, the mess we’d make of the public information area…I still am haunted by the Green Cross Way, we don’t need to risk something like that again. On the other hand, having us banging away might triple them too!

3 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Christ, the mess we’d make of the public information area…I still am haunted by the Green Cross Way, we don’t need to risk something like that again. On the other hand, having us banging away might triple them too!

Code, mate, Code. The Green Cross Code.