Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Can you tell me, what you think Yousaf has achieved? What about him inspires you to have him lead your country? 

Very very little but if, as it’s starting to look, a choice between him and Forbes I would prefer him. The word inspire is redundant here though. 

2 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

For all i really disagree with Forbes religious views she at least seems to have a semblance of intelligence?

Yeh I mean she’s probably abit more savvy than Humza politically and in presenting herself. I outlined a few of the issues I’d have with her in a previous post. 

Its probably going to be one of the two though and someone’s got to step up to the challenge. I think it’ll be interesting to see how Kate does in the debates in the lead up. 

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

For all i really disagree with Forbes religious views she at least seems to have a semblance of intelligence?

Aye. According to Wikipedia she has a BA and an MSc, so that suggests a capacity for analysis and presentation of opinion.  Having an interest in Gaelic as I do (learner) I know people who know her and as far as I can recall nobody has said anything bad about her. 

Given her age, she might be expected to have a fresh outlook on independence tactics and be able to consolidate the (reported) majority support for independence in the younger age group. 

If it is a straight fight between Forbes and Yousaf it'll be an interesting contest. 

Forbes is far too right wing and in the pocket of Charlotte Street corporate lobbyists. I'm also not comfortbale with a religious-obscurantist weirdo being first minister.

Not sure Humza is hugely competent either and his image tarnished by a pisspoor spell as Health Secretary.

A better candidate is needed- both of these meh at best.

15 hours ago, Bodie said:

I agree that comparing Scottish independence to other often violent national liberation struggles undertaken against the deathly grip of the British Empire can get silly and thankfully doesn't happen too often. There has been some good strides made recently in Scotland with regards to educating and coming to terms with Scotland's role in the horrors of colonialism and the British Empire. We can only hope England can begin to embark on a similar journey.

Self determination isn't a trope, it's an enshrined principle of international law.

Empire building was, of course, much more a Scots thing than an English one, pound for pound, although it's rarely talked about - which makes sense.  I think 'middle England would say, "some bits were good, other bits were bad and, in the light of the 21st C, we shouldn't have been there." Which is about my own position.

As for self-determination?  The UN context is, "subjection of peoples to alien subjugation, domination and exploitation".  This is pretty-much echoed by the Supreme Court in December when they said:

"International law favours the territorial integrity of States. Outside the context of self-determination, normally limited to situations of colonial type or those involving foreign occupation, it does not confer any ‘right to secede’."

That's why I see SD as a hackneyed old trope that has no bearing on Britain as an independent, democratic and self-determined state.

What are people's thoughts on Ben MacPherson?  I remember when he got elected there was talk of him being a real leader-of-the-future type but I haven't heard his name mentioned at all.  

Edited by Highland Capital