Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

If it happens that only Yousaf gets enough backing by Friday does he become leader and FM automatically?

Nope, the 'backing' from MP/MSP is inconsequential and purely an endorsement. Any potential candidate requires a minimum of 100 party member signatures across at least 20 different branches in order to stand, then the leader is decided by a straightforward one member one vote election.

The only way Humza becomes leader on Friday is if every other eligible candidate bows out, and I can't see Regan doing that even if Forbes does, because she is clearly totally uninterested in engaging in the process and is standing for no other reason than she wants to create a scene.

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Nope, the 'backing' from MP/MSP is inconsequential and purely an endorsement. Any potential candidate requires a minimum of 100 party member signatures across at least 20 different branches in order to stand, then the leader is decided by a straightforward one member one vote election.

The only way Humza becomes leader on Friday is if every other eligible candidate bows out, and I can't see Regan doing that even if Forbes does, because she is clearly totally uninterested in engaging in the process and is standing for no other reason than she wants to create a scene.

That at least avoid the scenario theres no debate or vote which would put Yousaf on the backfoot even more if he gets the job

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Literally no-on has wanted her to tell lies or hide her religious beliefs. Nice straw man argument, though.

Correct. 

As far as I'm concerned folk can believe what they like. Someone might believe that they are Elvis Presley reborn, or that mumbling some words over an oatcake will turn it into the body of William Wallace, or that the Earth is less than 6000 years old, or that that dinosaurs and humans co-existed. As far as belief goes, they can crack on. However, if they seek support from the electorate for the chance to advance a wider political career, not only would I not vote for him or her, I wouldn't be particularly happy about sitting next to him or her on the bus. 

IMO Forbes body-swerved the equal marriage point in the interview I heard; given her reported views, if she had been in a position to vote for or against it at the time and if the vote had been a close one she would presumably have argued against marriage rights and voted against it. Her response on the buffer zones issue was evasive and wooly as while she said that she supported the right to abortion, I'd like to hear her view on so-called prayer vigils which are part of the buffer zones issue. No doubt the praying crowd would deny they are threatening or intimidating anyone.

The fact that like most religious folk (again, IMO) take a pick 'n mix approach to their "faith" means that most Christians pay no attention to the shellfish stuff, the mixed fibres stuff, or the killing witches stuff but, oddly, the obsession with marriage, sex and the boaby remains.  Weird. 

2 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Correct. 

As far as I'm concerned folk can believe what they like. Someone might believe that they are Elvis Presley reborn, or that mumbling some words over an oatcake will turn it into the body of William Wallace, or that the Earth is less than 6000 years old, or that that dinosaurs and humans co-existed. As far as belief goes, they can crack on. However, if they seek support from the electorate for the chance to advance a wider political career, not only would I not vote for him or her, I wouldn't be particularly happy about sitting next to him or her on the bus. 

IMO Forbes body-swerved the equal marriage point in the interview I heard; given her reported views, if she had been in a position to vote for or against it at the time and if the vote had been a close one she would presumably have argued against marriage rights and voted against it. Her response on the buffer zones issue was evasive and wooly as while she said that she supported the right to abortion, I'd like to hear her view on so-called prayer vigils which are part of the buffer zones issue. No doubt the praying crowd would deny they are threatening or intimidating anyone.

The fact that like most religious folk (again, IMO) take a pick 'n mix approach to their "faith" means that most Christians pay no attention to the shellfish stuff, the mixed fibres stuff, or the killing witches stuff but, oddly, the obsession with marriage, sex and the boaby remains.  Weird. 

No offence, but your last paragraph shows you have a lack of understanding of Christian theology.

13 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

I hope someone asks her if she's a creationist. Might as well burn this campaign to the ground properly at this point just to get it over with.

Absolutely.

And if she says no, just say “why not”?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

That's because it's almost impossible to nail down what is and isn't allowed in Christian mythology, the goalposts are shifted so often.

The ‘goalposts’ of the source document don’t change.  Trends in interpretation do though.

Put it this way; I’d be very surprised if the poster in question reached said conclusion following a genuine search for the actual biblical position.

7 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

No offence, but your last paragraph shows you have a lack of understanding of Christian theology.

Even if that is the case, I suppose that might depend on which of the thousands and thousands of branches/sects of Christianity you mean. That's the true 'benefit' of pick 'n mix approaches to "faith". One can decide what one wants and justify it. Well, justify it to one's self, anyway. From the Archbishop of Canterbury to the Westboro Babtists, they all claim to know "the truth". "Belief" appears to be a get out of jail free card for all ranges of opinion, and the religious use it with, I venture to suggest, gay abandon. 

7 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

The ‘goalposts’ of the source document don’t change.  Trends in interpretation do though.

Put it this way; I’d be very surprised if the poster in question reached said conclusion following a genuine search for the actual biblical position.

While this is true, that isn't how religion works in reality.

I was just reading Yousafs quote. Does that mean that he personally believes same sex marriage is ok or does it mean he has same view as Forbes but supports the party line. I think he means he believes same sex marriage is ok but he does leave it a bit open with his 2nd paragraph. 

"I'm a supporter of equal marriage. Let me get to the crux of the issue that you're asking me. I'm a Muslim. I'm somebody who's proud of my faith. I'll be fasting during Ramadan in a few weeks’ time.

"But what I don't do is, I don't use my faith as a basis of legislation. What I do as a representative, as a leader, as a Member of the Scottish Parliament, is my job, to bring forward policy and pursue it in the best interest of the country.”

2 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

The poster in question was born into Christianity, married into a very religious family, attended Church, had a Church Elder as a father, an uncle who was a Minister and who even sent his kids to the BB. I have been pretty well indoctrinated into Christianity, but recognised it years ago for what it is.

IMO it's a social club for some, an ego trip for others who want to try to impress themselves and others about their character and understanding, a hangover from a thankfully bygone age when humans trembled in the face of nature... and yes, for some it represents a deeply held belief in the supernatural. Some use that supernatural belief as an excuse to look down on others  Thankfully, it appears to be in a downward spiral, if I'm recalling the position correctly. 

Don't get me wrong. I've yet to hear of any supernatural belief system worth bothering about, let alone worth basing one's life on. I think I'm entitled to consider a political candidate's own words in determining whether or not I'd want them to be in the most senior political position in the Scottish Parliament. I wouldn't want Scotland to be led by a Scientologist, a flat earth advocate or an evolution denier. Any politician's judgement is certainly open to question. On social issues it is entirely legitimate to look at the effect a person's faith on their approach to politics. From what I've heard so far, Forbes wouldn't be my choice. It's not that she is religious - many are. It's the weight that she seems content to place upon her religion when considering the rights of others and whether she would be likely to do so in future. 

There endeth the lesson. 

10 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

I was just reading Yousafs quote. Does that mean that he personally believes same sex marriage is ok or does it mean he has same view as Forbes but supports the party line. I think he means he believes same sex marriage is ok but he does leave it a bit open with his 2nd paragraph. 

"I'm a supporter of equal marriage. Let me get to the crux of the issue that you're asking me. I'm a Muslim. I'm somebody who's proud of my faith. I'll be fasting during Ramadan in a few weeks’ time.

"But what I don't do is, I don't use my faith as a basis of legislation. What I do as a representative, as a leader, as a Member of the Scottish Parliament, is my job, to bring forward policy and pursue it in the best interest of the country.”

He's just given another speech extrapolating this a little bit. From what he's said my interpretation is that he views active discrimination as a greater evil than running contrary to the specifics of anything Islamic dogma preaches. He says he's been frequently subjected to attacks by other muslims claiming he is no longer a muslim because of his unequivocal support for equal rights.

Seems fairly cut and dried to me. 🤷🏿‍♂️ 

Edited by Boo Khaki

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

He's just given another speech extrapolating this a little bit. From what he's said my interpretation is that he views active discrimination as a greater evil than running contrary to the specifics of anything Islamic dogma preaches. He says he's been frequently subjected to attacks by other muslims claiming he is no longer a muslim because of his unequivocal support for equal rights.

I will need to read or listen to that, where is it?

5 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

If that's correct, it's exactly the attitude I'd expect a sensible, (partly, at least) rational person to take in politics.