Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

That doesn't trigger me as much.

I'm similar to Viking-ton. The constitutional settlement is what it is. After losing the referendum case I wouldn't be counting on the UK Supreme Court ruling in the SG's favour. There is enough of a tangential impact of GRR on the Equality Act that I think the UG would win. I don't think its right but the UK Supreme Court have already shown their view with their expansive decision on the referendum. The courts are not the answer.

It's now about building a majority and consistent opinion poll leads (the closer to 60% the better), also send our disrupters down to Westminster and use every procedural point to disrupt the UK Government's business. Make sure they can't ignore us. Be a tremendous pain in their collective arses. Its about attrition now and we need to dig in.

This is what I meant by taking the kid gloves off - stop playing by the Westminster boys' club rules.

Disruption, agitate and make it as difficult as possible 

1 minute ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Hopefully we have someone else in the running soon. 

There has to be someone reasonably sane and moderate watching this shitshow unfold, and thinking to themselves that sitting back and watching Humza Yousaf win by default is passing up a massive opportunity for a huge career boost.

24 minutes ago, HTG said:

No, her bid is in tatters because of her beliefs - not her honesty. We should expect honesty (I know) as a matter of course. The question is more why she thought entering the race was a good idea in the first place given that it's as clear as the nose on her face that she'd be at odds with the will of parliament on specific social issues. 

At odds with the will of the parliament, yes.

At odds with the Scottish electorate, I’m not so sure. 

1 minute ago, Glen Sannox said:

Do you honestly think the majority of the Scottish electorate don't support the right of same sex couples to marry? Sorry, that's miles off the mark. 

2 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

I'm always amused at this assertion that the 'scottish electorate' are continually electing governments who pursue policies that they fundamentally disagree with. 

6 minutes ago, HTG said:

Do you honestly think the majority of the Scottish electorate don't support the right of same sex couples to marry? Sorry, that's miles off the mark. 

It’s maybe a generational thing, that said, I’m not so sure it’s miles off the mark.

49 minutes ago, virginton said:

Fighting a constitutional principle on self-ID for transgender people rather than *checks notes* the self-determination of the entire nation is a rather moronic choice of hill to die on for a prospective Scottish National Party leader.

The principle has already been established. Westminster governments can stick their oar into Scottish affairs and deny the democratic decision of the Holyrood parliament. Devolution is a busted flush - that is the principle that has to be fought for by dissolving the Union. 

The trap the Tories have laid here is not in trying to force the SNP to take the legal route to oppose a Section 35 over an issue they can fight the culture war on. It's picking a culture war issue which they know has already divided the SNP, for precisely the reason that those divisions might lead to the Scottish Government deciding not to make a legal challenge even though they would inevitably win.

While the point that power devolved = power retained remains a pertinent argument in favour of independence, it becomes very hard to credibly make that argument if you've rolled over without a fight and accepted even the insufficient powers bestowed under that devolution settlement being trampled. Not making a legal challenge is the gateway to Holyrood becoming ungovernable, as anything which actually passes can then be slapped down with an S35, which is going to do more to tank the SNP's popularity than anything else could. Even an ongoing civil war over social issues, which failing to mount a legal challenge wouldn't actually end anyway,: you'd simply be switching the positions of leadership v backbenchers.

Anyone proposing not to make a legal challenge as part of a leadership campaign is ending any chance of winning on the spot, because it's an impossible position for the leader of the SNP to take.

3 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

It’s maybe a generational thing, that said, I’m not so sure it’s miles off the mark.

Even amongst older generations, I’m fairly sure it’s a minority of dirty b*****ds who don’t want equal marriage to exist - and we all know the reason why.

10 minutes ago, HTG said:

Champion / support / equivocate / disinterested / tolerate / disapprove / condemn  

Pick your position. But I’ll wager that those at the outer edges of the debate aren’t the ones that’ll be the important in the grand scheme of choosing the new manager. 

7 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

It was roughly 66% in favour back in 2014, with even R.C's and Church of Scotland above 50%. Over 65's were 44%.

I'd wager it's even higher now.