Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I'm not sure you're right in this circumstance, Westminster still has to match the "reasonable" test which was notable for its absence in their justifications.

It really doesn't in practice, which will involve a years-long legal fight over a policy that has already burned the political capital of one First Minister to demonstrate. 

Only a foolish leader would take up that baton and if the Greens don't like it then that's a handy line to demarcate where the obsessives are. 

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Her answer on same sex marriage was interesting. She said she would have voted against it. However, she likened it to Angela Merkel who brought forward the vote on same sex marriage in Germany and voted with her conscience (against) but implemented the policy as it was the will of the parliament. 

Clip is here: https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/1627745647356006400?s=20

Which would have been fine if she hadn't already said she'd stop the appeal over Westminster blocking Holyrood legislation over a devolved matter.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

It really doesn't in practice, which will involve a years-long legal fight over a policy that has already burned the political capital of one First Minister to demonstrate. 

Only a foolish leader would take up that baton and if the Greens don't like it then that's a handy line to demarcate where the obsessives are. 

She could have just said she'd not stop the appeal as it was over a constitutional principle. 

Edited by welshbairn

Just now, welshbairn said:

She could have just said she'd not stop the appeal as it was a constitutional principle. 

Fighting a constitutional principle on self-ID for transgender people rather than *checks notes* the self-determination of the entire nation is a rather moronic choice of hill to die on for a prospective Scottish National Party leader.

The principle has already been established. Westminster governments can stick their oar into Scottish affairs and deny the democratic decision of the Holyrood parliament. Devolution is a busted flush - that is the principle that has to be fought for by dissolving the Union. 

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Which would have been fine if she hadn't already said she'd stop the appeal over Westminster blocking Holyrood legislation over a devolved matter.

That doesn't trigger me as much.

I'm similar to Viking-ton. The constitutional settlement is what it is. After losing the referendum case I wouldn't be counting on the UK Supreme Court ruling in the SG's favour. There is enough of a tangential impact of GRR on the Equality Act that I think the UG would win. I don't think its right but the UK Supreme Court have already shown their view with their expansive decision on the referendum. The courts are not the answer.

It's now about building a majority and consistent opinion poll leads (the closer to 60% the better), also send our disrupters down to Westminster and use every procedural point to disrupt the UK Government's business. Make sure they can't ignore us. Be a tremendous pain in their collective arses. Its about attrition now and we need to dig in.

Edited by Trogdor
virginton gets changed to virginton

Whit’s the goalie dain, Tom? 

Lunacy from Forbes and I’d be pretty surprised to even see her on the frontbench now. All being equal Yousaf should also be asked these questions - not as a politician, but as a person. His religion is also incompatible with social reform. 

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

All Forbes had to do was to let the appeal go ahead to establish the principle that Westminster can't overrule devolved legislation with frankly laughable "reasons". Instead she's jumped into the "culture wars" with two hobnail boots, there was no need.

I'm not so sure that the man on the Clapham Omnibus would see it as anything else other than a waste of time that would frame us as the junior partner railing against those with the real power on a policy that is difficult to articulate. I see only one winner and if that is Alister Jack, then that's quite an achievement.

I've just seen her Channel Four clip and whereas I don't agree with her view on marriage, she also said she's not in the game of revisiting that legislation.

In looking for positives at least she's left no "I smoked but never inhaled" room for any pressing on her real position!

I do agree with her that doing core stuff competently is what we should be about.

4 minutes ago, sophia said:

I'm not so sure that the man on the Clapham Omnibus would see it as anything else other than a waste of time that would frame us as the junior partner railing against those with the real power on a policy that is difficult to articulate. I see only one winner and if that is Alister Jack, then that's quite an achievement.

I've just seen her Channel Four clip and whereas I don't agree with her view on marriage, she also said she's not in the game of revisiting that legislation.

In looking for positives at least she's left no "I smoked but never inhaled" room for any pressing on her real position!

I do agree with her that doing core stuff competently is what we should be about.

The fact she’s said she wouldn’t overturn it now is pretty much irrelevant. Coming out with that statement when trying to become leader of a party that’s positioned itself as “centre left” is never going to go well. 

20 minutes ago, Paco said:

Whit’s the goalie dain, Tom? 

Lunacy from Forbes and I’d be pretty surprised to even see her on the frontbench now. All being equal Yousaf should also be asked these questions - not as a politician, but as a person. His religion is also incompatible with social reform. 

There you go

30 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well, it's likely academic as she's gone and totally fucked it with the Gay Marriage comments.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

Wild speculation here,  but if, and at this stage probably when the new leader proves to be a disaster and baring a Westminster import,  is there a chance sturgeon comes back into the fold before the next parliament having ‘had time to reflect and re-charge’?

Salmond already played that song.