Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

She said they're sinful in the eyes of God.

Most things are.

31 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

If its members votes she needs she will get them id guess, plenty weefrees etc in SNP

I wouldn't have thought so.

Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland - 1200 members

Free Church of Scotland - 8000 attendees

United Free Church of Scotland - 1988 comminicants.

They won't all be members of the SNP, I'm sure.

5 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I'll make two comments here.  Jim Fairlie's comments are measured and I hope they are actually considered ahead of any rush to condemnation and hysteria.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, when the right-wing press appears to dismiss Forbes' leadership bid it's not done primarily to highlight reactions from a religiously intolerant membership, but rather it's an indication of how much they are intent on preventing her standing as they consider her a political threat.

No, in this case I think it's because she gave them red meat to chew on. There isn't much of a conspiracy needed when you happily walk in front of every available mic and say you don't think Gay folk should be equal in the eyes of the law, won't protect Trans rights, are pro-life and think that folk with kids born out of wedlock are sinners, and do so when trying to run as leader for a party who's broader vote tends to be younger and more Liberal.

Edited by renton

3 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Most things are.

I wouldn't have thought so.

Free Presbyterian Church of Scotland - 1200 members

Free Church of Scotland - 8000 attendees

United Free Church of Scotland - 1988 comminicants.

They won't all be members of the SNP, I'm sure.

Was that in relation to the Rangers job again?

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Based on an entirely fictitious set of events that aren't actually happening?

How do you know its fictitious? It has been widely reported that the Greens would withdraw from government if the new SNP leader was Regan or Forbes.

Personally, I think a party that polled 8% at the last Scottish Election (of which the majority comes from the SNP voters via the list) who have a meagre 35 councillors across Scotland should not be dictating government policy. The sooner they are despatched from the SG, the better.

Edited by Trogdor

5 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

I'll make two comments here.  Jim Fairlie's comments are measured and I hope they are actually considered ahead of any rush to condemnation and hysteria.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, when the right-wing press appears to dismiss Forbes' leadership bid it's not done primarily to highlight reactions from a religiously intolerant membership, but rather it's an indication of how much they are intent on preventing her standing as they consider her a political threat.

The Times are still keen on her - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/kenny-farquharson-is-scotland-ready-for-a-wee-free-leader-8vbcv28c3

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Quiet day in NatLand after yesterday's shitstorm but it's refreshing to hear Forbes here.  A competent government and building an economic case?  I've been saying this for years.  Won't wash with the Nat loyal who loved the Sturgeon approach of incompetence, mendacity and blaming everyone else.

Bigots backing bigots who knew.

8 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I see the well-respected Indian Council of Scotland is at least trying to bring some sanity by highlighting their concerns about Humza:

Why do you consider this group to be well-respected, @The_Kincardine? Specifics would be welcome.

Their leader is the former chair and president of the Scottish Conservatives Friends of India group. That's not a reason to consider someone to be "well-respected" in my book.

38 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The opportunist crocodile tears from unionists about Kate Forbes are enough to make you boak.

Neither. I’m on record on here as saying I’m not convinced by the case for Independence. But that doesn’t automatically make me a committed Unionist. 

The bit that’s grinding my gears is Scotland finally seems to have an MSP who, rather than shape shifting and contorting to the fashion of the day,  has the courage of her conviction to stand up and say so. However unpopular that may be.

But I’ll wager there’s enough - more than likely not enough admittedly -support out there beyond the right-on Holyrood troughers and the PnB massive to see her poll respectable votes in the contest. 

48 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

How do you know its fictitious? It has been widely reported that the Greens would withdraw from government if the new SNP leader was Regan or Forbes.

Personally, I think a party that polled 8% at the last Scottish Election (of which the majority comes from the SNP voters via the list) who have a meagre 35 councillors across Scotland should not be dictating government policy. The sooner they are despatched from the SG, the better.

The reason it is fictitious is that the Green Party withdrawing from government in the event that they didn't like the new First Minister or their policies would not bring down the government. The SNP have ruled as a minority before, including for the first few months of this parliament, and would do so again if the Greens withdrew. It would not lead to another election, which is the wild assertion made by the original poster.

They are clearly not dictating policy, they may well be influencing policy, and may have had some concessions in that respect as part of the deal, but the SNP are by far the dominant party in the government and have still pushed through and/or supported several issues without the support of the Greens (eg Freeports).

2 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Neither. I’m on record on here as saying I’m not convinced by the case for Independence. But that doesn’t automatically make me a committed Unionist. 

The bit that’s grinding my gears is Scotland finally seems to have an MSP who, rather than shape shifting and contorting to the fashion of the day,  has the courage of her conviction to stand up and say so. However unpopular that may be.

But I’ll wager there’s enough - more than likely not enough admittedly -support out there beyond the right-on Holyrood troughers and the PnB massive to see her poll respectable votes in the contest. 

The bit that grinds my gears is the implication that folks thinking folks who are different from them should be treated equally is somehow ‘the fashion of the day’. I certainly don’t have the religious convictions of Kate Forbes but from what I remember of Sunday school, Jesus seemed to be fairly keen on the concept and that wasn’t yesterday. 

44 minutes ago, Benjamin_Nevis said:

Fair play for coming across as the biggest ignoramus in a thread which contains posts by Kincy. 

You're blinkered

Sturgeons legacy is that she has produced a party in her own image which is intolerant of swathes of society and therefore unworkable 

But fairer apparently 

22 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

The quote about Unionists wasn't actually aimed at anyone here but the wider Unionist Twitterati.

19 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The reason it is fictitious is that the Green Party withdrawing from government in the event that they didn't like the new First Minister or their policies would not bring down the government. The SNP have ruled as a minority before, including for the first few months of this parliament, and would do so again if the Greens withdrew. It would not lead to another election, which is the wild assertion made by the original poster.

They are clearly not dictating policy, they may well be influencing policy, and may have had some concessions in that respect as part of the deal, but the SNP are by far the dominant party in the government and have still pushed through and/or supported several issues without the support of the Greens (eg Freeports).

Did I say they would bring down the government? I was commenting on the point of the Greens making demands which are well documented. My post was not fictitious, perhaps quoting the original poster would have been an idea. In fact, if you read back the thread you will see that I made the point about governing as a minority. I well remember 2007 to 2011 when the SNP were a proper minority government with 47 seats as opposed to 64 now. Minority government isn't something to be scared of.

On the second part, I'd argue that setting out red lines and saying you will withdraw from the government is beyond influencing tbh.

I'll go a bit further this time - a party that can't win a constituency seat, have only 35 councillors across all of Scotland and 8% of the list vote (on the coat tails of the SNP) shouldn't even be influencing SG policy. 🙊

Edited by Trogdor