Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Few questions.

Who gets a vote and is it one person one vote?

Basically do MPs/MSPs get more say then ordinary members of the party?

And who is in charge of the counting?

SNP members get a vote. It is one vote per member but it is a transferable vote. You rank the candidates by preference and if your 1st preference is eliminated it goes to your 2nd preference until a winner has more than 50% of the valid votes.

Edit - valid votes is important because if you voted (as an example) Regan 1 and no-one else and Regan had the least number of votes on the first ballot your vote wouldn't be transferred and would  be discounted in the second round (ie. not counted for the 50% threshold).

MPs/MSPs are the same as ordinary members. They each hold one vote.

In terms of who is in charge of the counting. I'm not 100% sure. I'm not actually a party member. 

Edited by Trogdor

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

SNP members get a vote. It is one vote per member but it is a transferable vote. You rank the candidates by preference and if your 1st preference is eliminated it goes to your 2nd preference until a winner has more than 50% of the votes.

In terms of who is in charge of the counting. I'm not 100% sure. I'm not actually a party member. 

I'm no longer a member but previous votes were done online.

15 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

And who is in charge of the counting?

The National Secretary, Lorna Finn.

P.S.

The National Secretary is responsible for engaging a ballot services
company to administer the poll, including the issuing and receipt of postal
ballot papers, entering data in relation to postal ballot papers, and the
electronic count.

https://documents.snp.org/2023_02_16_Party_Leader_Election_Rules_2023.pdf

Edited by welshbairn

11 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

SNP members get a vote. It is one vote per member but it is a transferable vote. You rank the candidates by preference and if your 1st preference is eliminated it goes to your 2nd preference until a winner has more than 50% of the valid votes.

Edit - valid votes is important because if you voted (as an example) Regan 1 and no-one else and Regan had the least number of votes on the first ballot your vote wouldn't be transferred and would  be discounted in the second round (ie. not counted for the 50% threshold).

A candidate who is eliminated in whatever round is never going to attain 50%, and if you vote 1 only and no 2nd or 3rd preference it is obvious your vote cannot be transferred.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there.

If you voted e.g. Regan 1 Forbes 1 and Humza 2, that would be an invalid vote.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

Friday wrongly listed as the 4th. Sturgeon must go.

Strathcylde.

1 hour ago, sophia said:

I'm very surprised to see events on the Sabbath. Forbes must go.

Zoom kept the faithful going through the dark days of Covid, it gets a bye.

33 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

A candidate who is eliminated in whatever round is never going to attain 50%, and if you vote 1 only and no 2nd or 3rd preference it is obvious your vote cannot be transferred.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there.

If you voted e.g. Regan 1 Forbes 1 and Humza 2, that would be an invalid vote.

The crude point I was trying to make is that say 80,000 vote that the 50% threshold to win isn't actually 40,001 votes. It is on the first ballot but not thereafter.

Say in round 2 that the least supported candidate had 10,000 votes without a second preference. Then the 50% to win is 35,001 votes rather than 40,001. As you only have 70,000 valid votes.

I was trying to demonstrate that it is better to use your transferrable vote, that was all.

I've never really understood the STV system. If you have no preference between your 2nd and 3rd options would it benefit your first choice to just vote "1"? And if you prefer one of them is it best to vote "1", "2" or "1", "2", "3"?

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The crude point I was trying to make is that say 80,000 vote that the 50% threshold to win isn't actually 40,001 votes. It is on the first ballot but not thereafter.

Say in round 2 that the least supported candidate had 10,000 votes without a second preference. Then the 50% to win is 35,001 votes rather than 40,001. As you only have 70,000 valid votes.

I was trying to demonstrate that it is better to use your transferrable vote, that was all.

That's very true, transfer right down the ballot until you come to people you just can't vote for! :lol:

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I've never really understood the STV system. If you have no preference between your 2nd and 3rd options would it benefit your first choice to just vote "1"? And if you prefer one of them is it best to vote "1", "2" or "1", "2", "3"?

No. Your second preference is only ever taken into account once your first preference has been knocked out, so it doesn’t benefit them to leave the other two blank or vote for a second/third preference. 

14 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Will be very interesting if Humza has a plurality of first preferences but Forbes picks up most of the Regan supporters 

Was thinking that myself.

The system surely benefits Forbes and Regan, which won’t suit the hierarchy.

If Forbes wins and her own MSPs refuse to vote her as FM, then Willy Wonka will need to invent everlasting popcorn for our viewing pleasure.  The fallouts will be beyond comprehension.

3 minutes ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Was thinking that myself.

The system surely benefits Forbes and Regan, which won’t suit the hierarchy.

If Forbes wins and her own MSPs refuse to vote her as FM, then Willy Wonka will need to invent everlasting popcorn for our viewing pleasure.  The fallouts will be beyond comprehension.

Something like this is very possible

Round 1:

Humza Yousaf - 42%
Kate Forbes - 38%
Ash Regan - 20%

Round 2:

Kate Forbes - 51%
Humza Yousaf - 49%

All that would take us Regan’s votes to break 2:1 in favour of Kate Forbes