Next permanent Scotland manager

Richey Edwards

253 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

7 hours ago, CarrbridgeSaintee said:

Woke up early this morning, so thought I'd watch this.

I must admit that I was impressed, and liked what she was saying

Instead of just saying what she thinks the public wants to hear and hitting out with soundbites, she was realistic and went into proposed policy in detail.  She comes across as authentic, honest, confident and articulate.. as well as being a genuinely nice person.

Plenty confirmation bias at my end though :D

I much prefer watching this type of interview than the nonsense on the telly, with their shouty, interrupty interviewers trying to trip the person up.  When does a politician get the chance to explain something properly on Question Time?  It's all about soundbites and appearing strong for the cameras and to get the claps from the audience.

I like her style.  Of course there was an enormous stooshie about her religious beliefs but I do not think she will let them fly in the face of democracy when FM.  Have they had an impact on her decision making whilst Finance Minister?

Going to wait for the hustings and tv debates but currently she will more than likely getting my vote.

I actually think she will win by a decent margin....currently predicting Forbes 52%, Yousaf 34% and Regan 14%

2 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

I like her style.  Of course there was an enormous stooshie about her religious beliefs but I do not think she will let them fly in the face of democracy when FM.  Have they had an impact on her decision making whilst Finance Minister?

Going to wait for the hustings and tv debates but currently she will more than likely getting my vote.

I actually think she will win by a decent margin....currently predicting Forbes 52%, Yousaf 34% and Regan 14%

It's a fair bit different being FM vs. Finance minister. Her brief would be far wider and she would set the priorities and appoint the various ministers. That alone could radically alter the balance of priorities and direction within the government.

I still find the whole notion that since these rights already exist, and she won't try and alter them that everything is hunky dory. Rights do not exist in isolation and require constant protection and vigilance, just ask the Americans about Roe vs. Wade.  A social Conservative, leading a government that will over time reflect her priorities and views is not something to be blithely welcomed because she is a straight talker.

1 hour ago, Caledonian1 said:

She's certainly a fresh voice which I think is needed in a party that has been sounding stale of late. Not sure how a swing to the right on economic policy as well as on social and other issues, which she seems to be indicating, will go down with party members and with the public who could be havering over Labour once again. She does seem to have a mindset of practical problem solving rather talking about vague ambitions that appeal to focus groups, which is a nice change. Selfishly it might be in my interests to vote for someone who's aware of Highland issues, she'll have to do a better job of clarifying her attitude to social policy before I could vote for her though.

7 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

I wonder at what point you’ll develop enough self awareness to realise that if you called Ronald McDonald a clown he’d laugh in your face and then the rest of the room would join in? 

Nothing to worry about, then: independence is closer than ever, clearly.

6 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Some sanctimonious pish from several "journalists" and the usual suspects this morning regards press access to the hustings.

They aren't interested in scrutiny but are looking for the slightest hint of a faux pas from any of the candidates.

That's why I think it was stupid to ban them in the first place - it just gives these wankers another grievance -  they'll be even more  likely to misreport the husting events now.

A candidate making a faux pas is scrutiny.

2 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

She's maybe played a blinder by getting them out in the open at the start, by the time it comes to the vote it may have been largely forgotten about.

9 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Certainly than at any other point in my lifetime, yeah. I’m old enough to remember the storm when Jim Sillars took Govan. 

I remember Winnie Ewing winning Hamilton...

32 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Certainly than at any other point in my lifetime, yeah. I’m old enough to remember the storm when Jim Sillars took Govan. 

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'd like to thank you both for making me feel young. 

29 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

5 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'd like to thank you both for making me feel young. 

I also remember Sir Alec Douglas-Home winning Kinross and West Perthshire...

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Nothing to worry about, then: independence is closer than ever, clearly.

A candidate making a faux pas is scrutiny.

Scrutiny my arse - we all know that they are looking for anything that can be misreported or misrepresented.

Don't kid yourself that it's about scrutiny - for many of them it's about getting a sensationalised headline to undermine the SNP and, per se, independence itself.

As I said, I think it was stupid to give them a new grievance when they already have enough grievances (real or manufactured).

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

More homophobe sympathisers on here than I expected tbh.  Hopefully they are not representative of the wider membership.

You may be in for a shock given the age profile of the SNP membership. 

That being said I'd be very shocked if Humza doesn't get at least 40% on the first ballot. He could well win it on the first ballot given his backing.

Regan is a total spoiler in this but you'd expect her 2nd preferences to be more likely to go to Forbes than Yousaf.

Who knows? It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Hopefully focus is now on the path to independence, economy, health, education et al. Identity politics and culture war can get in the bin. It's been done over and over as of late.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

She's certainly a fresh voice which I think is needed in a party that has been sounding stale of late. Not sure how a swing to the right on economic policy as well as on social and other issues, which she seems to be indicating, will go down with party members and with the public who could be havering over Labour once again. She does seem to have a mindset of practical problem solving rather talking about vague ambitions that appeal to focus groups, which is a nice change. Selfishly it might be in my interests to vote for someone who's aware of Highland issues, she'll have to do a better job of clarifying her attitude to social policy before I could vote for her though.

I'm not at all sure that she is in the business of foisting her personal faith based beliefs on anyone and her being a servant of democracy, she, I think, is saying exactly the opposite.

I do agree with your need for a fresh voice, a characteristic voice and not one that just reacts as increasingly seemed to be the case recently. Do we need a Scottish recycling system that comes with all the quite predictable hassle, just so we can say we did it a couple of years before an island wide solution?

I find this moving to the left or right narrative quite curious and it strikes me as a commentary that is somehow routed via Westminster and fptp. I think there is Holyrood scope for a different message.

For those that need to be convinced to join us and make us more than 50%, i think clear and consistent fiscal messages are important. I wouldn't have thought they necessarily begrudge what they see as fair tax and spend but I'm certain that they want to be convinced by a distinctive and consistent narrative.