Motherwell vs Hearts: Fir Park 2023-02-19 12:00

16 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Clark

Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Smith Devlin Snodgrass Cochrane

Humphrys Shankland McKay

Rowles will come back in and form-wise you could make an argument for a straight swap with Kingsley, but I think we're a bit less fluid and more predictable with Rowles as an outside CB.

In the last league game Dundee United were just letting the CBs have the ball while marking Snodgrass and closing off his passing options which snuffed us out completely in the first half. Kingsley generally hasn't been great recently but he's much more likely to carry the ball forward and overlap Cochrane as he did to good effect last week and much of last season.

It's also harsh on Grant but it probably has to be Devlin and Snodgrass in a midfield two.

I know it was Hamilton, but Kingsley was good last time out. Put some wicked balls in the mixer. Shanks and Humps will bag from them if he can keep doing that.

12 minutes ago, Elixir said:

I know it was Hamilton, but Kingsley was good last time out. Put some wicked balls in the mixer. Shanks and Humps will bag from them if he can keep doing that.

Was just going to say this. Kingsley added a lot that's been missing recently.  Stepping into the midfield a lot more and helping us mix it up.

58 minutes ago, ropy said:

Will the guy that chipped that long ranger be playing?  I noticed last night that Kelly wandered up to the half way line at our corners.

I appreciate he probably feels a duty to do as captain, but it stresses me the f**k out when he does this. Did he not almost get caught out once at Dens or somewhere?

20 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I appreciate he probably feels a duty to do as captain, but it stresses me the f**k out when he does this. Did he not almost get caught out once at Dens or somewhere?

We’ve all been caught out at Dens 

Just now, ropy said:

Are Hearts bringing a crowd through, there are about 4800 seats available but it’s on the telly.

Probably about 3000. Already sold our initial allocation of 2200 out. More than acceptable for a Sunday lunchtime game on TV.

11 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Probably about 3000. Already sold our initial allocation of 2200 out. More than acceptable for a Sunday lunchtime game on TV.

Might have got more if it wasn't Motherwell selling the tickets. No loyalty points has put off a few folk I know.

Bringing circa 3000 to a game that's live on the telly on a Sunday at Noon is impressive stuff.  Fair play.

Does 3rd in the league get guaranteed Group Stage European fitba again?  Could be the case pretty soon that Hearts will be end up in a mini league of one going forward.  They'll, understandably, never get close enough to challenge for 1st or 2nd, but they'll be a good distance away from 4th-12th if they get the European money again.

As for the game itself, it'll be a tough for us.  We'll certainly have our tails up, but Hearts have quality all over the park.  Would absolutely bite your hand off for a point here but the main thing is to get through it without any more injuries.  Kilmarnock & Ross County away to follow will be massive.

5 minutes ago, Desp said:

Bringing circa 3000 to a game that's live on the telly on a Sunday at Noon is impressive stuff.  Fair play.

Does 3rd in the league get guaranteed Group Stage European fitba again?  Could be the case pretty soon that Hearts will be end up in a mini league of one going forward.  They'll, understandably, never get close enough to challenge for 1st or 2nd, but they'll be a good distance away from 4th-12th if they get the European money again.

As for the game itself, it'll be a tough for us.  We'll certainly have our tails up, but Hearts have quality all over the park.  Would absolutely bite your hand off for a point here but the main thing is to get through it without any more injuries.  Kilmarnock & Ross County away to follow will be massive.

3rd gets group stage football if Us, Celtic or Rangers win the cup. So you'd have to think it looks favourable at this point.

2 hours ago, Desp said:

They'll, understandably, never get close enough to challenge for 1st or 2nd

I think this is right but I wonder about the effect of Hearts having a few consecutive seasons of Group football that actually meant they could afford a squad that was considerably better than 4-12th rather than just "a bit better". I think then they could conceivably close the gap at the top a fair bit just by the Flat Track Bully effect - they wouldn't need to be beating Rangers and Celtic much (or at all) to do that.

Closing the gap (and widening it to the teams below) is one thing - actually winning it would need both the OF to be dropping points in a way that they simply don't these days.

2 hours ago, Desp said:

Yeah I agree with this. Hearts will comfortably finish 3rd, pulling ahead of the rest of the league financially with European football until Christmas.

But not enough to challenge the top two places. 

Chuck a cup win, and I imagine Hearts supporters will be more than pleased with that. 

4 hours ago, Darren said:

Might have got more if it wasn't Motherwell selling the tickets. No loyalty points has put off a few folk I know.

That’s cause you abuse the concession tickets Adults buying student tickets Motherwell raised it with Hertz but they did nothing about hence we are now selling the tickets ourselves 

21 minutes ago, Lobby Dossar said:

That’s cause you abuse the concession tickets Adults buying student tickets Motherwell raised it with Hertz but they did nothing about hence we are now selling the tickets ourselves 

As is Motherwell's prerogative. 

2 hours ago, Swello said:

I think this is right but I wonder about the effect of Hearts having a few consecutive seasons of Group football that actually meant they could afford a squad that was considerably better than 4-12th rather than just "a bit better". I think then they could conceivably close the gap at the top a fair bit just by the Flat Track Bully effect - they wouldn't need to be beating Rangers and Celtic much (or at all) to do that.

Closing the gap (and widening it to the teams below) is one thing - actually winning it would need both the OF to be dropping points in a way that they simply don't these days.

This is where a larger league, playing each other twice, would help. Hearts finished seven points off top spot in '98, partly due to consistency against the non-OF teams but also because Celtic and Rangers also dropped more points than usual. Given we've finished second since then, I wouldn't write it off. But overthrowing both seems extremely unlikely.

2 hours ago, Connor7 said:

Yeah I agree with this. Hearts will comfortably finish 3rd, pulling ahead of the rest of the league financially with European football until Christmas.

But not enough to challenge the top two places. 

Chuck a cup win, and I imagine Hearts supporters will be more than pleased with that. 

You'd be surprised.