Motherwell vs Hearts: Fir Park 2023-02-19 12:00

Tartan noir is now a well established literary phenomenon transplanting the hard boiled American detective fiction genre to Scottish settings and Edinburgh in particular lends itself to the Gothamite role of glistening metropolis with the shady underbelly and dark alleys.

The towns of North Lanarkshire on the other hand would seems better suited to fill in for the New Jersey that Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi romanticise in their blue collar anthems. Some day there's going to be a guy from Wishaw who'll cash in on that potential with big stadium rock songs about "riding the A725 with my heart on fire" and slower numbers about how "That Bellshill girl and me, we were never meant to be, I still think of her, does she ever think of me?"   etc....

But until then we've got a football match

Hearts away form hasn't been great (W3,D5,L4) but even after Motherwell's win last night they're still the worst home team in the league  (W2,D3,L7)

I reckon Hearts should have enough to do it here and with Livingston playing Rangers even a draw is unlikely to see us dragged closer to 4th

15 minutes ago, Swello said:

When John Boyle took over Motherwell, he insisted that "my home town"  by Bruce Springsteen was blasted from the aging tannoy system before every home game. Genuinely a lower point than Administration.

That's a crazy idea. Does John Boyle say things like "DJ play some Leonard Cohen and get this party started"

It's not a bad song as such but it's the kind of melancholy downbeat tune you'd play in your pub after the bar closes just to make it clear that the fun times are over and people should drink up and get their coats. 

See also "sunshine on Leith"

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Animated GIF

It's not as fun as "Glory Glory to the Hibees" though  is it?

If the Battle Hymn of the republic had sounded like Sunshine on Leith the Confederates would probably have won.

Motherwell should have probably gone for Black Steel in the hour of chaos

3 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

Four posts in and it’s Hearts v Hibs all of a sudden. 

Tear your arm off for a draw in this game 

Sorry about that, mea culpa!

I should never even have mentioned "that" song, you never know who's listening

I'd sell the fixture for 2 points

12 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Good luck on Saturday, I fear you may need it..............

We play them on Sunday
So I've no hesitation in joining you in wishing our Motherwell supporting chums an enjoyable Saturday afternoon, I hope none of you get dragged round Ikea

I'm glad that they got the post-sacking win out of the way against At Mirren, doubly so because it helps keep St Mirren away from us. With Motherwell's travails this season, we need to be looking at 3 points. 

No Ginnelly IIRC due to suspension. Humphrys has probably earned a start, I'm looking forward to see what him and Shankland can do together 

Shankland in for Gino, and hopefully through the middle rather than as a 10.

Reckon Devlin and Rowles come back in as well, though maybe slightly harsh on Grant. 

Motherwell will have their tails up after last night, but we really have to be looking to win here. Need to really try and pull away in 3rd and have a tricky run with 4 out the next 5 away.

2 hours ago, Tony Wonder said:

Shankland in for Gino, and hopefully through the middle rather than as a 10.

Reckon Devlin and Rowles come back in as well, though maybe slightly harsh on Grant. 

Motherwell will have their tails up after last night, but we really have to be looking to win here. Need to really try and pull away in 3rd and have a tricky run with 4 out the next 5 away.

If you're putting Shankland through the middle then it's presumably alongside Humphrys.

So midfield three of Snodgrass, Devlin, Grant?

Although Neilson might just troll everyone and play Forrest in the middle on his own.

31 minutes ago, Darren said:

If you're putting Shankland through the middle then it's presumably alongside Humphrys.

So midfield three of Snodgrass, Devlin, Grant?

Although Neilson might just troll everyone and play Forrest in the middle on his own.

Humphrys aye, but I imagine he'll play off the right a bit. Arguably where he's looked best for us. I imagine it'll be a kind of 3-4-3 with Smith, Devlin, Snodgrass, Cochrane in the middle and Humphrys, Shankland & McKay up top. 

Don't even joke about Forrest in the middle.

Edited by Tony Wonder

Just picking out a couple of the names from the above few posts like Snodgrass, Shankland and Humphrys. Hearts simply have a much stronger squad than us and, although the effort last night was vastly improved, we're going to need to go up a level again if we hope to take anything from this one. We need to be much better on the ball too. 

I get that it was a win at all costs performance vs St Mirren, but all the aimless hoofs up the park and slack passes are far more likely to come back on top of us and put us under sustained pressure than they did against a team who were not on top of their game.

A point would be a more than acceptable outcome to maintain some forward momentum. A (highly unlikely) win to avenge the injustice of the 0-3 reverse the last time the Jambos were in town would be fucking delightful. I'd take the draw right now.

Clark

Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Smith Devlin Snodgrass Cochrane

Humphrys Shankland McKay

Rowles will come back in and form-wise you could make an argument for a straight swap with Kingsley, but I think we're a bit less fluid and more predictable with Rowles as an outside CB.

In the last league game Dundee United were just letting the CBs have the ball while marking Snodgrass and closing off his passing options which snuffed us out completely in the first half. Kingsley generally hasn't been great recently but he's much more likely to carry the ball forward and overlap Cochrane as he did to good effect last week and much of last season.

It's also harsh on Grant but it probably has to be Devlin and Snodgrass in a midfield two.