The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

The fact that Murrell was trying to cling to his job as late as two weeks ago suggests he either thought it wouldn't come to this, or he did and was hoping for some cover from the party.

It's an absolute shit storm. Doesn't matter who is in charge of the party at this point, or how blameless or otherwise. This will follow the party all the way to the election. 

4 minutes ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Much as it pains me to agree with Murdo Fraser, he's right when he says that if this arrest happened a month ago Kate Forbes would be FM.

The only thing hes right about is that it wouldnt be a tory..............

29 minutes ago, renton said:

The fact that Murrell was trying to cling to his job as late as two weeks ago suggests he either thought it wouldn't come to this, or he did and was hoping for some cover from the party.

Could be that he was wanting to wait for his wife to be formally replaced as leader before the shit hit the fan.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Could be that he was wanting to wait for his wife to be formally replaced as leader before the shit hit the fan.

Not sure what that gets him.

59 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

It's the constant drip drip drip of bad news which is harming the party. Humza is largely a bystander.

He needs to talk about how he recognised the party needed reform and this is how he is taking it forward. It is the only way forward.

He may get awkward questions on political judgement wrt. how he spoke about Murrell but the whole party was beholden to him.  I suspect had NS not been FM then Murrell would have been jettisoned many years ago. He needs to tread a careful line here but I wouldn't be averse chucking it back at NS. It happened on her watch and HY has to clean it up.

I dont think he did recognise the party needed reform , it was just that his opposing candidates had it as such a strong topic he couldnt really do anything other that offer it some lip service

1 minute ago, renton said:

Not sure what that gets him.

Bit of distance for her. It was stated by others in the party that he'd intended to resign once a new leader was chosen, it was brought forward by the party numbers debacle.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

I dont think he did recognise the party needed reform , it was just that his opposing candidates had it as such a strong topic he couldnt really do anything other that offer it some lip service

Yeah I agree, but you have to spin it.

peter capaldi what GIF

4 minutes ago, Iain said:

If Murrell has done a crime then I think the only reasonable response is for everyone to turn to unionism. The logic is inescapable.

I think money scandals tend to sink politicians more than anything else.  Its not about Unionism or Indy, it becomes a more fundamental question of trust. 

1 minute ago, renton said:

I think money scandals tend to sink politicians more than anything else.  Its not about Unionism or Indy, it becomes a more fundamental question of trust. 

Probably why it's not a good idea to only have one political vehicle for the cause.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Bit of distance for her. It was stated by others in the party that he'd intended to resign once a new leader was chosen, it was brought forward by the party numbers debacle.

It was stated by Murrell that he'd intended to resign, after he had been forced to resign. There's no evidence to support that claim - and he was hardly going to state 'I was actually planning to remain chief executive for another 10 years!' instead. 

2 minutes ago, Iain said:

Probably why it's not a good idea to only have one political vehicle for the cause.

Maybe not, shy of a time machine it's a bit hard to rectify now short of a proper split within the SNP, nor does it feel electorally smart even now. 

No-one can claim to be too shocked here.  The resignation of Treasurer Douglas Chapman in May 2021 was a huge red flag, whilst the chicanery involved in the Salmond enquiry should also have acted as warning that there was something rotten in the top echelon of the SNP.

But here we finally are, and I say that as an SNP voter.

About what I expected from Humza.

I would be very keen to see the terms of reference for the review (with external input) of the party machine. Given the collapse in governance. I'd imagine resignations from the NEC will happen once the review concludes. The NEC have been culpable and/or complicit in allowing Murrell to run the party like his own fiefdom.

3 minutes ago, Iain said:

If Murrell has done a crime then I think the only reasonable response is for everyone to turn to unionism. The logic is inescapable.

According to t latest pols the UK doesn't anyone else to turn to to Unionism. But the independence cause definitely needs people to convert from Unionism. If you think this helps you're very deluded.

24 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

About what I expected from Humza.

I would be very keen to see the terms of reference for the review (with external input) of the party machine. Given the collapse in governance. I'd imagine resignations from the NEC will happen once the review concludes. The NEC have been culpable and/or complicit in allowing Murrell to run the party like his own fiefdom.

Its lapdogs like him though and theres far too many in the SNP,who havent helped the party and that blindly following orders resulted in the state things are today. 

56 minutes ago, thisal said:

According to t latest pols the UK doesn't anyone else to turn to to Unionism. But the independence cause definitely needs people to convert from Unionism. If you think this helps you're very deluded.

We're going to be stuck in the debate until one side or the other puts forward a compelling proposition that can carry a large majority of the people. In the long run things like today aren't going to be important.

6 minutes ago, Iain said:

We're going to be stuck in the debate until one side or the other puts forward a compelling proposition that can carry a large majority of the people. In the long run things like today aren't going to be important.

The leaders of Scottish independence appearing competent increases support for their cause IMO.  This is why Yes opinion shot up during Sturgeon’s COVID briefings.

This will do the opposite.