The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Before we get on our high horses about media sources that supported Nazis, let's remember the SNP leader who actually was one.

EXhGAxOX0AAMLxZ?format=jpg&name=large

Leader until 1969 and remained active well into the 80s.

Stronger For Germany.

There wasn't evidence produced publicly for this claim. Just the supposed word of an informant. There was evidence Donaldson was involved in anti-conscription efforts and that'd have been reason for the state to target him.

I see you're a Rangers fan. If you're a Follow Follow reader, you've likely lifted your post from there, given its already neatly arranged into screenshots. That site has multiple threads alleging Irish Nazi collaboration so probably has them alleging SNP collaboration too.

I'm a complete novice to this topic, Scottish Nazi sympathisers, and a bit of googling is the extent of my "research". Yet even with only that, I can see the clear consensus among historians is that Scotland's most visible Nazi sympathiser was Archibald Maule Ramsay. He was an MP for this party:

Screenshot_20230405_000725_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.a7e51da8a5f2fa9eed8f3ad9bbd43c8f.jpg

He was the only British MP interned for Nazi support. He had formed this group: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_Club

This is a "gotcha" reply, not normally my style but that was the nature of your interjection so have it your way.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Before we get on our high horses about media sources that supported Nazis, let's remember the SNP leader who actually was one.

Not this old story again. Donaldson spent a few weeks behind bars after security services got an uncorroborated tip-off.

By comparison, Archibald Maule “Jock” Ramsay, the Unionist MP for Peebles, spent most of the Second World War in Brixton jail, locked up as a threat to national security. His wife was also a Nazi symphathiser.  His chief of staff was jailed for espionage after she was found with war secrets and shown to have already sent some to Germany. Spooks, according to declassified papers, discovered the MP was angling to be Germany’s commissioner for Scotland.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/23220885.focus-truth-nazi-sympathisers-scotland/

Compare & contrast. Donaldson was no angel, but was he really worse than Ramsay?

There's far more evidence of Yoon Nazi sympathisers, (up to and incuding King Edward VIII), than there is against SNP members.

Just now, lichtgilphead said:

It's all a coNspIЯasEey

That Herald opinion you linked is great. It's so true that bad faith, Twitter-style "gotcha" shite doesn't increase knowledge and understanding. 

9 hours ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

Hasn't changed the world in a week. Get him punted 😂

He's not going to change anything.  He's a shit version of Sturgeon.  

We were getting nowhere on independence when she was there and instead appeared to be trying to lose members and f**k off women who want safe spaces aided by those beardy Green wankers. 

I know any UDI plan is bonkers insane but the alternative of keeping asking for a S30 order every 5 years and being told to f**k off isn't appealing either.

I just don't see what changes. We fucked it in 2014 as a nation.

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

He's not going to change anything.  He's a shit version of Sturgeon.  

We were getting nowhere on independence when she was there and instead appeared to be trying to lose members and f**k off women who want safe spaces aided by those beardy Green wankers. 

I know any UDI plan is bonkers insane but the alternative of keeping asking for a S30 order every 5 years and being told to f**k off isn't appealing either.

I just don't see what changes. We fucked it in 2014 as a nation.

I don't think there's anything to be gained by comparing him to Sturgeon. It's clear there are rumblings behind the scenes so it will be up to him, in his own way (whether we like it or not), to shape the direction the SNP moves. The broader Yes movement will be as much a part of the drive for independence as members of the SNP and elected MSPs. He'll ignore that at his peril. What happens now, after the "Supreme" Court ruling, will be interesting as the bigger a mess the UK make of, well, everything, the harder it'll be to convince Scotland of the "benefit" of being part of the UK and not a normal independent country.

2 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

he was backing Murrell right up intil he resigned

“A decision for him” is not exactly full backing.  But judgement on character is another area he seems to be, at best, mediocre. 

22 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Anyone think he might be about to regret the poisoned chalice?

Yeah, this has the serious possibility to destroy their electoral prospects regardless of who the incumbent FM is or what they do.

Does make it look bad for Yousaf that he was showering praise on Murrell when he resigned a couple of weeks ago rather than leaving it at the standard 'thanks for your contribution' type of comment right enough. Not that he'd have had a clue Murrell was away to be arrested a week after he became First Minister, but that was bad politics anyway. You can set yourself up as the continuity candidate on policy direction without also looking like a continuity candidate on internal party structure and politics, which even he'd said needed reforms as well.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yeah, this has the serious possibility to destroy their electoral prospects regardless of who the incumbent FM is or what they do.

Does make it look bad for Yousaf that he was showering praise on Murrell when he resigned a couple of weeks ago rather than leaving it at the standard 'thanks for your contribution' type of comment right enough. Not that he'd have had a clue Murrell was away to be arrested a week after he became First Minister, but that was bad politics anyway. You can set yourself up as the continuity candidate on policy direction without also looking like a continuity candidate on internal party structure and politics, which even he'd said needed reforms as well.

Aye, this could be grim for the SNP. Wonder how much they were expecting this (I.e. did Sturgeon see it coming and try and limit the damage by getting out of the way) or if its a total shock.

It's the constant drip drip drip of bad news which is harming the party. Humza is largely a bystander.

He needs to talk about how he recognised the party needed reform and this is how he is taking it forward. It is the only way forward.

He may get awkward questions on political judgement wrt. how he spoke about Murrell but the whole party was beholden to him.  I suspect had NS not been FM then Murrell would have been jettisoned many years ago. He needs to tread a careful line here but I wouldn't be averse chucking it back at NS. It happened on her watch and HY has to clean it up.

12 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

He may get awkward questions on political judgement wrt. how he spoke about Murrell but the whole party was beholden to him.  I suspect had NS not been FM then Murrell would have been jettisoned many years ago. He needs to tread a careful line here but I wouldn't be averse chucking it back at NS. It happened on her watch and HY has to clean it up.

Not a wise move, given that the vast majority of Yousaf's 52% vote share worshipped Queen Nicola and so voted for the 'I'm like Sturgeon - only worse!' continuity candidate. He'd be turfed out by next June.

The serious nature of the investigation into the Ted Crilly chief executive and the complete absence of a credible explanation was already clear before NS stepped down. The party had to clear decks but instead of focusing on the baldy sleaze timebomb at the top, the likes of Mairi Black spent the campaign concocting mock outrage about her relationship not being tolerated by the Wee Free theocracy that would be set up if Forbes won. Well done 'progressive' Scots Twitter, you've earned this one. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Not a wise move, given that the vast majority of Yousaf's 52% vote share worshipped Queen Nicola and so voted for the 'I'm like Sturgeon - only worse!' continuity candidate. He'd be turfed out by next June.

The serious nature of the investigation into the Ted Crilly chief executive and the complete absence of a credible explanation was already clear before NS stepped down. The party had to clear decks but instead of focusing on the baldy sleaze timebomb at the top, the likes of Mairi Black spent the campaign concocting mock outrage about her relationship not being tolerated by the Wee Free theocracy that would be set up if Forbes won. Well done 'progressive' Scots Twitter, you've earned this one. 

Much as it pains me to agree with Murdo Fraser, he's right when he says that if this arrest happened a month ago Kate Forbes would be FM.