The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

4 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

…or maybe also too keen to ensure she didn’t do anything that might be adjudged to fall into line with WM policy? 

Possibly, but I think internal pressures were more likely, like dear Fergus in Inverness.

Edited by welshbairn

This isn't really a shock. Most people on this thread predicted this very outcome. I took the view that it was a waste of money to challenge it in the first place.

On the wider point, Section 35 has been invoked once in 25 years of devolution. I hardly think WM will be batting down legislation across the board now. We might not see another section 35 for another 25 years (if devolution is around for that long).

It actually adds to the SG's strange insistence of going to court. Legal ambiguity is actually helpful if you are trying to change the status quo.

This defeat coupled with the defeat over whether the Scottish Parlaiment can call a referendum has actually weakened the position. You can't threaten to do something that the court has ruled you cannot legally do. I don't buy the argument that these losses will galvanise the movement at the great injustice of it. These are self inflicted missteps.

Edited by Trogdor

15 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

This isn't really a shock. Most people on this thread predicted this very outcome. I took the view that it was a waste of money to challenge it in the first place.

On the wider point, Section 35 has been invoked once in 25 years of devolution. I hardly think WM will be batting down legislation across the board now. We might not see another section 35 for another 25 years (if devolution is around for that long).

It actually adds to the SG's strange insistence of going to court. Legal ambiguity is actually helpful if you are trying to change the status quo.

This defeat coupled with the defeat over whether the Scottish Parlaiment can call a referendum has actually weakened the position. You can't threaten to do something that the court has ruled you cannot legally do. I don't buy the argument that these losses will galvanise the movement at the great injustice of it. These are self inflicted missteps.

Exactly. Once in 25 years is hardly indicative of a 'trend' in blocking legislation.

The highest taxed part in the Uk and we still end up with a billion pound black hole. No doubt the funds will be found to appeal this decision and keep the grievance alive. All to keep wee Paddy and his fringe extremists happy and avoid losing the no confidence votes that would see the grifters emptied 

36 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

The highest taxed part in the Uk and we still end up with a billion pound black hole. No doubt the funds will be found to appeal this decision and keep the grievance alive. All to keep wee Paddy and his fringe extremists happy and avoid losing the no confidence votes that would see the grifters emptied 

I'm very glad that our income tax has diverged 

Unlike that idiot on Question Time who had no idea how well off he was, I'm very happy to pay my taxes and therefore modestly help those much less fortunate than I. I personally think that this should be the norm and I'd hate to be a no such thing as community Thatcherite grasper.

2 hours ago, Jedi2 said:

Exactly. Once in 25 years is hardly indicative of a 'trend' in blocking legislation.

No, but that completely ignores the hardening of Westminster's line since Brexit.  We can't move without Government ministers appearing in front of the union flag, jingoistic product labelling and the 'UK' even being crowbarred into television credits.  And part of all of this Britwashing is a growing assault on the devolved parliaments.

Either you're too thick to recognise this, or you're simply a unionist shill.  Or both.

16 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

No, but that completely ignores the hardening of Westminster's line since Brexit.  We can't move without Government ministers appearing in front of the union flag, jingoistic product labelling and the 'UK' even being crowbarred into television credits.  And part of all of this Britwashing is a growing assault on the devolved parliaments.

Either you're too thick to recognise this, or you're simply a unionist shill.  Or both.

How many bills by the devolved administrations have been blocked since Brexit? 

The reality is that Holyrood produced a crock of shit law that would obviously be entangled with Equality Act legislation. No amount of 'aye but we say it doesnae' is effective, in the exact same way as the attempt of the Westminster 'government' to make Rwanda a safe destination for asylum just because isn't going to wash either. 

Sensible political leaders would have ditched this obvious fail years ago and let Westminster handle an utterly toxic issue. But Holyrood politicians prefer to tinker with largely inconsequential issues rather than focus on the nuts and bolts of government. That problem predates SNP government - it's been there since 1999. 

Edited by vikingTON

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Possibly, but I think internal pressures were more likely, like dear Fergus in Inverness.

Well the pressure of Fergus in Inverness has proven to be entirely vindicated, given the utterly pointless cul-de-sac that the SG has manouvred itself into, rather than focus on the obvious, free hit of Just Being Better than a risible Tory government. 

It's also laughable for you to complain about 'deliberate misinformation', when details of the Isla Bryson case had to be fucking prised out of the hands of the SG by a tabloid newspaper. Not the first and certainly not the last time that the SG has resisted transparency and scrutiny in the past 24 months. For a bill that had no significance implications on women's safety, the government for some strange reason resisted disclosure of cases that were actually relevant to the issue until forced to do so.

So both sides were dealing in 'misinformation' - you don't get to discount the spin and obfuscation on your side. 

8 hours ago, renton said:

That has fairly wide ranging implications for how devolution is operated (or not). Basically, the SoS for Scotland can veto naything they damn well please for any damn reason they like with no route of appeal for the Scottish parliament.

I voted no because we have the strongest devolved parliament in the world. The smith commission made it even stronger. The best of both worlds...

1 hour ago, virginton said:

How many bills by the devolved administrations have been blocked since Brexit? 

The reality is that Holyrood produced a crock of shit law that would obviously be entangled with Equality Act legislation. No amount of 'aye but we say it doesnae' is effective, in the exact same way as the attempt of the Westminster 'government' to make Rwanda a safe destination for asylum just because isn't going to wash either. 

Sensible political leaders would have ditched this obvious fail years ago and let Westminster handle an utterly toxic issue. But Holyrood politicians prefer to tinker with largely inconsequential issues rather than focus on the nuts and bolts of government. That problem predates SNP government - it's been there since 1999. 

Spot on. Doesn't matter whether your view on the GRA is for, against, or somewhere in the middle...you are right..leave it to WM.

Due to the need for Green support though, Humza will use this as his hill to die on...doesn't matter if the issue is either not high up the list of many Scottish voters, or if its unpopular..as long as he can make capital from it (in his own head at least)..rather than focusing on you know, high energy bills, general cost of living, public services, trying not to bankrupt local Councils with a mad tax freeze, and trying to make his administration seem even half competent.

But that's just the ravings of a thick unionist shrill 😀..carry on Humza.

Edited by Jedi2

Of course Westminster was allowed to veto this law. That's devolution. Westminster can veto whatever it wants because it is the sovereign parliament.

I will always be for independence but the above is a fact of life under devolution. No point wasting money challenging because f**k all will change.

Humza and his government would be well advised to get on and legislate better in devolved areas to be competent rather than fighting lost causes.

As dreadful as that sounds for the trans community who would have had way less trauma with the proposed legislation. Terrible that they are unfairly and unjustly caught in a constitutional fight through no fault of their own.

39 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Good reason now for the Greens to crawl back up their trees if Humsa grows a set and does not appeal.

Would save wasting tax payers money and send Harvie and co back to where they belong as a minority.

Why would they?  They have a seat at the table that they’re unlikely to give up.

Westminster blocking any Scottish act should be the death of Unionism. But because it's a really stupid law that no one really believes in, even those who pretend to, there's no real kickback and it's Holyrood that looks daft.

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

Why would they?  They have a seat at the table that they’re unlikely to give up.

They'll be giving it up at the next election, hopefully. Weird bunch.

Regardless of their support for Independence (a token gesture given it isn't happening anytime soon) anyone voting Green is OFTW.

Edited by Todd_is_God

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

They'll be giving it up at the next election, hopefully. Weird bunch.

Regardless of their support for Independence (a token gesture given it isn't happening anytime soon) anyone voting Green is OFTW.

What a bizarre take. I don't vote for them but why would anyone who wants greener/cleaner policies be oftw?