The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

9 hours ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

25% - the Scottish Government  made a wild guess but have now sneaked in  a revised guesstimate of 9% in the bottom of the last page of an Energy report.

Apparently transparency means what the First Minister says it means.

what was that about?

2 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

ffs what a feckin joke, that 25% figure has been quoted by them ad nauseam. It was something to be proud of and now we find out they made that figure up. They keep surprisng me in just how incompetent they are. Its like a house of cards now how nearly everything the SNP claimed to have done a good job  lacks any real substance when its looked into in any depth.

1 hour ago, Turkmenbashi said:

This is something I honestly can't bring myself to care too much about

Perhaps you should think about it. There are too many other examples  of short term and long term SG deceit and contempt. There is a thread on here " Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy - Add them here. "  Maybe  someone should  start a new thread on Scottish Government (SNP/Greens) Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy.

2 hours ago, Turkmenbashi said:

This is something I honestly can't bring myself to care too much about

I'm honestly more irritated by the dishonesty of the article. Contrary to the headline there appears to be no suggestion that the amount of offshore energy that Scotland has the potential to produce is any smaller than it was a decade ago, merely that Scotland's proportion of the overall European potential has shrunk. This is a good thing! It means that our European neighbours are planning more offshore wind, which means less reliance on fossil fuels throughout Europe.

41 minutes ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

Perhaps you should think about it. There are too many other examples  of short term and long term SG deceit and contempt. There is a thread on here " Tory Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy - Add them here. "  Maybe  someone should  start a new thread on Scottish Government (SNP/Greens) Lies, Corruption and Hypocrisy.

There was one but it dropped off the first page due to lack of interest.

Even though I have a good few gripes about the SNP and their incompetence, they are nowhere near as bad as the Tory government. 

1 hour ago, Blue Brazil Forever said:

If it is the case that they have been overstating Scottish wind energy potential. Then yes maybe that is a an issue.

If as seems to be the case the wind energy in other European countries is greater than previously estimated. Then this a complete non issue for me. Far more serious things to get worked up about.

I honestly don’t think “they used an outdated figure, then updated it” is really that big a deal. It’s not good, obviously, but I’m not that bothered. 

In terms of burying it at the bottom of a submission to parliament, not great but it’s the kind of low-level dishonesty that’s so entrenched in politics that I’d be amazed if any government, council or other democratically elected group anywhere in the world isn’t up to that at some level. 

Aye, not sure how much you can get exercised about them updating an ancient figure which is partly based on revising external estimates from elsewhere. The EU has gotten bigger since 93 so therefore the % share of wind potential will have dropped. The absolute value of potential wind power is still as it was. We didnt suddenly lose air currents somewhere. 

I mean, what is the actual issue here? It's not like we are anywhere near the 9% figure let alone the 25% figure so it doesnt impact on planning assumptions or long term policy. 

Edited by renton

2 hours ago, renton said:

Aye, not sure how much you can get exercised about them updating an ancient figure which is partly based on revising external estimates from elsewhere. The EU has gotten bigger since 93 so therefore the % share of wind potential will have dropped. The absolute value of potential wind power is still as it was. We didnt suddenly lose air currents somewhere. 

I mean, what is the actual issue here? It's not like we are anywhere near the 9% figure let alone the 25% figure so it doesnt impact on planning assumptions or long term policy. 

The quote used by the SNP was 25% of Europe's offshore wind potential.  Nothing to do with the EU and nothing to do with capacity.

A major step for Scotland’s journey to net zero

Scotland has around 25% of Europe’s entire offshore wind potential, and is fast becoming the center for renewable energy innovation

Just now, strichener said:

The quote used by the SNP was 25% of Europe's offshore wind potential.  Nothing to do with the EU and nothing to do with capacity.

So? The quote as far as I can discern was based on the number of EU countries in 1993, subsequently not checked and allowed to remain in various publications in increasingly abstracted and incorrect ways.

Im not saying it isnt a poor and wrong statistic. I'm saying it's irrelevent. The only thing that matters, surely, is the modelled absolute potential. Unless i'm mistaken that hasnt changed. The economic benefits Scotland potentially stands to gain from renewables is the same today as it was yesterday. 

If it were the case that all the modelling was wrong, that Scotland could only produce a fraction of the power, that the costs sunk into supply chains would never pay back or produce jobs, and that it was all because of the Scottish Government, then I could imagine that being a proper scandal.

I just cannot get annoyed that they divided a set number by one number but should have divided it by a bigger number for some literature.

26 minutes ago, renton said:

So? The quote as far as I can discern was based on the number of EU countries in 1993, subsequently not checked and allowed to remain in various publications in increasingly abstracted and incorrect ways.

Im not saying it isnt a poor and wrong statistic. I'm saying it's irrelevent. The only thing that matters, surely, is the modelled absolute potential. Unless i'm mistaken that hasnt changed. The economic benefits Scotland potentially stands to gain from renewables is the same today as it was yesterday. 

If it were the case that all the modelling was wrong, that Scotland could only produce a fraction of the power, that the costs sunk into supply chains would never pay back or produce jobs, and that it was all because of the Scottish Government, then I could imagine that being a proper scandal.

I just cannot get annoyed that they divided a set number by one number but should have divided it by a bigger number for some literature.

It matters when you are trying to use the extent of this vast resource as the basis of why Scotland can be the Renewable leader in Europe.  The 25% figure was credited to "Scottish Government Analysis" rather than any independent source that has as you put it "remain in various publications in increasingly abstracted and incorrect ways."

The actual value of 4-6% is obviously far less politically valuable.

https://www.these-islands.co.uk/publications/i384/wrong_with_the_wind.aspx

8 minutes ago, strichener said:

It matters when you are trying to use the extent of this vast resource as the basis of why Scotland can be the Renewable leader in Europe.  The 25% figure was credited to "Scottish Government Analysis" rather than any independent source that has as you put it "remain in various publications in increasingly abstracted and incorrect ways."

The actual value of 4-6% is obviously far less politically valuable.

https://www.these-islands.co.uk/publications/i384/wrong_with_the_wind.aspx

I believe it also made various appearances in UK Government and Ofgem publications over the years.

Political value can still be derived from a percentage basis of how much of Scotland's energy comes from renewable sources, from absolute terms of how many jobs created, supply chains secured.

And if the 25% value is ridiculous so is the Muppets at these islands contention that this is a disaster for the case of Scottish independence.

We still have the same potential capacity today as yesterday, the North Sea is still a prime location and Scotland is still an early adopter and leader in installation of offshore wind. None of that has changed and is still relevent within the context of Scotland's industrial and engineering future.

4 hours ago, renton said:

Aye, not sure how much you can get exercised about them updating an ancient figure which is partly based on revising external estimates from elsewhere. The EU has gotten bigger since 93 so therefore the % share of wind potential will have dropped. The absolute value of potential wind power is still as it was. We didnt suddenly lose air currents somewhere

The hot air currents will have increased thanks to Jackie Baillie and Douglas Ross.

That 25% figure always struck me as fantasy. Given the size of Europe, I never understood how Scotland had 25% of the offshore wind potential. I don't think it's ever stood up to scrutiny tbh. 

As others have said the denominator in that calculation has been wrong for a long long time. It is also a very strange thing to brag about.

Our actual capacity and generation is something to brag about. Not that it reduces our bills though. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-67437714

Two fine examples of the master race here.

Dundee Sheriff Court was told that a staff member at the office received a phone call from O'Brien, who began shouting, swearing and making racist remarks about Mr Yousaf.

The officer terminated the call but O'Brien phoned back to make racist remarks, and gave his name when asked.

The office received a further 11 phone calls from the same mobile number.

:lol: