Roald Dahl books being rewritten to make them nicer

20 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

This brings to mind the time we found an old Scouts campfire song book while away camping.

It had a version of the American Civil War song ‘Marching through Georgia’ (better known as the tune used for Hello Hello! by some fans here) that went ‘all the n*gg**s came out and cheered as we were marching by!’ 

We decided it was probably better not to sing it that night and I think it may have been used to help start the fire

No, it was always burning, since the world's been turning.

21 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Quite a lot of the changes seem to be taking out references to fat people and most of Dahl's books had villians who were big fat women.

They changed the description of Mrs Twit to take out 'double chin' but keep in wonky nose and crooked teeth. 🤷‍♂️

My son went through a phase of watching old Disney movies on Disney Plus and some of them do have some stuff in it that's pretty jarring.  Lady and the Tramp is a lovely movie but the Siamese cats sequence would not fly today.  I also remember seeing a warning on Aliens (wasn't watching that with my four year old) advising that there were outdated and offensive attitudes in the movie.  I racked my brains but I think it must refer to when the marines wake up from hypersleep and one of them makes a joke about Vasquez  being "an illegal alien".

Probably the joke about vasquez being mistaken for a man when she's doing pullups is deemed offensive 

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

Probably the joke about vasquez being mistaken for a man when she's doing pullups is deemed offensive 

I'd forgotten about that.

The actress who played Vasquez now runs a lingerie shop in LA.

Edited by ICTChris

2 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

49 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It's probably to do with the actress being "browned up" to look Latino. 

I don't really see too much of an issue with warnings before films - particularly on streaming services. If you go to the cinema then there's a BBFC warning before every film anyway.

12 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I believe she’s the same actress who played John Connor’s stepmum in Terminator 2. I’m sure she’s Jewish and played a Hispanic/Mexican. Absolutely disgusting if you ask me. DISGUSTANG.

When I was a kid I hated Dahl. Not because of the language used, but for whatever reason when I was really young I found the BFG movie, and the Charlie and the Chocolate factory movie to be utterly terrifying. 

My mum still brings it up when Christmas comes around and it's always on T.V, that and the wizard of oz. 

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

When I was a kid I hated Dahl. Not because of the language used, but for whatever reason when I was really young I found the BFG movie, and the Charlie and the Chocolate factory movie to be utterly terrifying. 

My mum still brings it up when Christmas comes around and it's always on T.V, that and the wizard of oz. 

Cosgrove animation always did a fine line in weirdly unsettling. 

Edited by renton

Just now, renton said:

Cosgrove animation always did a fine line in weirdly unsettling. 

Did they do the Iron giant by any chance? That's another one that just gives the fear.

And Watership down, but I don't think that was the animation. 

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Did they do the Iron giant by any chance? That's another one that just gives the fear.

And Watership down, but I don't think that was the animation. 

Iron Giant was Brad Bird, before he went to Pixar. Not sure of the studio, but definitely American. 

On 21/02/2023 at 06:54, throbber said:

Being in favour of something because it annoys a group of people you don’t like is  pathetic behaviour.

Dear lord what a sad little life Bully.

I'm in favour of Rangers/Celtic losing because it annoys Rangers/Celtic fans.

I'll embrace the patheticness, thanks 👍