Following on from the Club Legends thread. Who are your favourite Cult Heroes from your current squad/squads of recent times?

For Aberdeen I'd say our most obvious one of the last 20-25 years is Zerouali who scored some absolutely ridiculous goals for us. I guess for a season, mainly due to the song, Pawlett earned that status. Don't really think we have anyone in the current squad who is close to becoming a cult hero. 

18 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

Following on from the Club Legends thread. Who are your favourite Cult Heroes from your current squad/squads of recent times?

For Aberdeen I'd say our most obvious one of the last 20-25 years is Zerouali who scored some absolutely ridiculous goals for us. I guess for a season, mainly due to the song, Pawlett earned that status. Don't really think we have anyone in the current squad who is close to becoming a cult hero. 

Duk has all the attributes of a cult hero. Great fun to watch and seems like a great guy. 

Calling him a cult hero feels a little like an insult though as he’s becoming a genuinely quality player. 

Lee Wallace, Lee McCulloch, Fernando Ricksen, Dado Prso, Madjid Bougherra, Pedro Mendes, Nikica Jelavic and Sasa Papac are probably a few whilst I’m probably forgetting a few as well. Some due to good footballing ability with others due to their character or both.

We've had a few. From McPhee the Bee in the 90s to Hassan Kachloul in 2005 to the Mengabus more recently, they are Cult heroes in their own way. 

McPhee was the supersub, came off the bench and grabbed a goal when we needed it. 

Hassan Kachloul was famous for signing for the club and helping save us from relegation. His first touch was to take a free kick and stick it in the top corner. Livi fans still use the cultness of Kachloul to wind up Dundee fans. 

Dolly Menga was famous for having skill, being a big haddie but people loving the outrageous tricks he tried. Famous for scoring against Rangers and that goal against Hearts where half the team ended up on their arse, Dolly is a bit of a cult hero in West Lothian.  

4 minutes ago, AJF said:

Lee Wallace, Lee McCulloch, Fernando Ricksen, Dado Prso, Madjid Bougherra, Pedro Mendes, Nikica Jelavic and Sasa Papac are probably a few whilst I’m probably forgetting a few as well. Some due to good footballing ability with others due to their character or both.

I find it interesting that a fair few of those were absolutely detested by fans of other clubs. Ricksen, McCulloch and Bougherra were thought of as absolute thugs. Jelavic and Prso were class players. I used to laugh at Mendes because simply by being on the park he'd won the TV MotM award after 14 seconds. 

18 minutes ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I find it interesting that a fair few of those were absolutely detested by fans of other clubs. Ricksen, McCulloch and Bougherra were thought of as absolute thugs. Jelavic and Prso were class players. I used to laugh at Mendes because simply by being on the park he'd won the TV MotM award after 14 seconds. 

Aye, I think opposition fans disliking a player often elevates them in the eyes of the supporting fans a lot of the time.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Duk has all the attributes of a cult hero. Great fun to watch and seems like a great guy. 

Calling him a cult hero feels a little like an insult though as he’s becoming a genuinely quality player. 

DUK is becoming a cult hero and a class player 

34 minutes ago, spiggle said:

We've had a few. From McPhee the Bee in the 90s to Hassan Kachloul in 2005 to the Mengabus more recently, they are Cult heroes in their own way. 

McPhee was the supersub, came off the bench and grabbed a goal when we needed it. 

Hassan Kachloul was famous for signing for the club and helping save us from relegation. His first touch was to take a free kick and stick it in the top corner. Livi fans still use the cultness of Kachloul to wind up Dundee fans. 

Dolly Menga was famous for having skill, being a big haddie but people loving the outrageous tricks he tried. Famous for scoring against Rangers and that goal against Hearts where half the team ended up on their arse, Dolly is a bit of a cult hero in West Lothian.  

No Cheriff Toure Mamam? cult hero in the SPL sticker books anyway

Following on from the legends thread, I'm going to suggest that a cult player can be one who is either ridiculously good but not particularly dedicated, or ridiculously dedicated but not particularly good. 

So from the current squad, it's slim pickings. Maybe Bushiri, given the troublesome start for him and his subsequent work rate, pre-injury?

Craig Beattie. His semi final will probably remain the best I've ever felt at a football match. For me it eclipsed even the final in 2012. That penalty was an out of body experience, I was close to tears of pure joy. 

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Aye, I think opposition fans disliking a player often elevates them in the eyes of the supporting fans a lot of the time.

There is that, then again I also think you get the ones like Prso and Jelavic that you mention that are hard to dislike but respected for their ability. I'd put Zero in that category for us and I saw Eremenko mentioned for Killie. See also Latapy at Hibs. 

Conrad Logan is the definition of a cult player.

Signed from the scrapheap, massively overweight. Man of the match perfemance on debut in a semi-final. Plays 6 or 7 matches in two months then leaves as the first Hibs 'keeper the lift the Scottish Cup in 114 years.