Scotland v Spain 28/03/2023

Donathan

5 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Will get shot down for saying this but having Spain the other night, this gives me the fear. Spain aren’t the only ‘big’ European nation going through a bit of a transition so England have a pretty decent chance of winning the whole thing. Hope to f**k I’m wrong. 

Yep. Spain, Italy and Germany are all far worse than England just now.  I'd say the only team you'd be confident of beating them is France, which they did in December of course.  

Worldwide, its France, Brazil and Argentina.  England are definitely winning a tournament or two in the next decade.

Just now, Richey Edwards said:

They've been saying that for 50 odd years now.

No they aren't.

This is their best team in 99% of this website's members lifetimes.  By miles.  Also Spain, Italy and Germany are miles off them, which they never are, using the same timeframe.

They're winning something soon.

2 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I think it's just banter from Danny Murphy and Simon Jordan. I would take that story with a pinch of salt as I'm sure it's being misportrayed.

It's not really misportrayed, it's just your standard TalkSport level trolling really.  It's their whole MO to say things that'll get people raging and drive attention towards them.

13 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep. Spain, Italy and Germany are all far worse than England just now.  I'd say the only team you'd be confident of beating them is France, which they did in December of course.  

Worldwide, its France, Brazil and Argentina.  England are definitely winning a tournament or two in the next decade.

I appreciate they beat them at the World Cup but England were the better side in the game and obviously missed a penalty in it. I'd not be "confident" of France beating them. I agree they are the only team playing at a similar level in Europe at the moment though.

Tournaments are different though. Italy were far from the best team at the last Euros, the trophy's sitting in Rome though.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

This is their best team in 99% of this website's members lifetimes.  By miles.  Also Spain, Italy and Germany are miles off them, which they never are, using the same timeframe.

They're winning something soon.

I agree with others that they are the second best European team right now, albeit France are a decent bit in front. 

Their current team doesn’t touch the previous “golden generation” though. The current starting team has players in Maguire, Stones, Rice and Phillips that wouldn’t even touch the squad. Obviously you can argue that they are far more of a team, but they aren’t near it individually. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

I agree with others that they are the second best European team right now, albeit France are a decent bit in front. 

Their current team doesn’t touch the previous “golden generation” though. The current starting team has players in Maguire, Stones, Rice and Phillips that wouldn’t even touch the squad. Obviously you can argue that they are far more of a team, but they aren’t near it individually. 

I'm just not seeing this "France are a decent bit in front" thing. France were toothless in Dublin last week while England were taking Italy apart away. France are similar level. The two of them are the best clearly.

I take the point about the present squad containing players who aren't that great individually (though wouldn't include Rice in that list). If the previous 'Golden Generation' is the Lampard / Gerrard one though I think they are better than that group. The last time England had a really good side was about the late 90's. Shearer, Owen, Scholes, Beckham, etc.

Bit of a random observation but every time i see a video/picture of Liam Cooper he looks genuinely buzzing to be away with Scotland. At full time, after games he's always right in the celebrations whether he started or didn't play a minute. Great to see and sums up the togetherness of this squad right now

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Maybe if you're a short arse! Both are full of seats with little or no leg room.

If you say so but both are better football stadiums than Hampden.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Agree that this team isn’t as good as the one mentioned individually, but as you say there’s probably more togetherness in the squad and a bit more quality backing up the starting eleven this time (haven’t checked their squads in previous generations so could be talking shite). Main worry for me is the competition they’re up against. There’s no denying it’s weaker than it has been previously, in my lifetime certainly. 

1 hour ago, forameus said:

It's not really misportrayed, it's just your standard TalkSport level trolling really.  It's their whole MO to say things that'll get people raging and drive attention towards them.

not really. It is typical of how Scottish football (ergo the Scottish national team) tends to be considered in the majority of UK/English media outlets. Whether it is the more subtle sometimes mildly amusing jibes in Guardian Football Weekly or the sledgehammer "banter" of TalkSport, the same tone remains - Scottish football is poor (the Old Firm are given an exception from time to time) and is there to be laughed at, occasionally patronised following a good performance/win. 

If TalkSport was all about trolling, then they could say that the English national team are dull and one dimensional, don't play to the extent of their talents, will never win anything and are full loaded with players whose diving would embarrass Pedro Porro. But they don'y say that - they simply maintain the narrative that we all know by heart now. 

Scottish football is of course poor in comparison to the English league and the major European leagues. But I would watch it (and mostly enjoy it) every day of the week over the dull sterile corporate guff that now constitutes the pinnacle of football in the eyes of Sky and TalkSport etc. 

33 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

not really. It is typical of how Scottish football (ergo the Scottish national team) tends to be considered in the majority of UK/English media outlets. Whether it is the more subtle sometimes mildly amusing jibes in Guardian Football Weekly or the sledgehammer "banter" of TalkSport, the same tone remains - Scottish football is poor (the Old Firm are given an exception from time to time) and is there to be laughed at, occasionally patronised following a good performance/win. 

If TalkSport was all about trolling, then they could say that the English national team are dull and one dimensional, don't play to the extent of their talents, will never win anything and are full loaded with players whose diving would embarrass Pedro Porro. But they don'y say that - they simply maintain the narrative that we all know by heart now. 

Scottish football is of course poor in comparison to the English league and the major European leagues. But I would watch it (and mostly enjoy it) every day of the week over the dull sterile corporate guff that now constitutes the pinnacle of football in the eyes of Sky and TalkSport etc. 

Just because it's about Scotland doesn't change the fact that TalkSport often troll to elicit reactions from the sort of gammons that usually phone in to them.  I don't imagine Danny Murphy or Simon Jordan care enough about Scottish football to have any kind of reaction to it, let alone the pantomime "I'd rather have my arse cleaned out" lines they put out.  

7 hours ago, GiGi said:

I mean it's great when you have that crowd in spite of Hampden imo. The internationals at Celtic park and Ibrox were better. 

A proper national stadium with fans steeply on top of the park making the same racket? Hard to even imagine. 

It should never be a by-product of Supporting Scotland that you provide money to two clubs who couldn't care less about our country.

19 hours ago, forameus said:

I just meant in the sense that the Sun were putting forward a story that Jordan and Murphy were being disrespectful towards Scotland but it was as you say just normal Talksport trolling and in that sense it's a non-story. 

On 30/03/2023 at 16:53, Crawford Bridge said:

"McGinn just runs about kicking people" was a favourite of jambos and Aberdonians a few years ago. 

Harry Cochrane (who?) and Graham Shinnie were far superior players according to them. 

Graeme Shinnie generally bossed McGinn in the few games they played against each other.

McGinn has obviously gone onto have a much better career in England and internationally but putting Shinnie (and Kenny McLean) above him would’ve been a valid opinion at the time based on that evidence.

I certainly didn’t think he’d go on to have the career he’s had, fair play to him.

17 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Absolutely. But they’re better stadiums for watching football. That was his point. 

I actually disagree with this. The worst parts of Hampden, ie low behind the goals, are far worse than the worst parts of either Parkhead and Ibrox, but it's got more good seats (proportionally in Parkhead's case) for view and atmosphere than either.

8 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I actually disagree with this. The worst parts of Hampden, ie low behind the goals, are far worse than the worst parts of either Parkhead and Ibrox, but it's got more good seats (proportionally in Parkhead's case) for view and atmosphere than either.

How does any seat at Hampden provide a better atmosphere? There isn't a single aspect about Hampden that contributes to this. The seats are further apart and the gradient is lower.

Really looking forward to the next set of games now.

Regarding the formations I think clarkes going to have to show the same flexibility that he has shown recently. Its in our hands now and i hope he can make the most of it. The back 5 is excellent against the tougher teams and I can fully understand that against away to Norway. Although it is debatable, the thought of Tierney perhaps being isolated occasionally and having to deal with Haaland in the air isn't exactly ideal.

Against the weaker teams I hope he continues to switch to the back 4. Hes experimented with Robertson in front of Tierney on the left and i hope its something we see again. Against Cyprus we toiled for large periods. Never looked like losing the game obviously, but it could have been more comfortable.