Euro 2024 - Qualification Thread

jagfox

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

If I had to choose who I didn't want to be there between Wales and Israel I'd be welcoming to the Euros in open arms my good friends who I would never criticise, the Welsh. 

Israel should be barred and ostracised from the Footballing Community for their aggression and evil-doing.

38 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Israel should be barred and ostracised from the Footballing Community for their aggression and evil-doing.

Yeah, really makes a mockery of the banning of Russia doesn't it. 

Was looking last night at potential automatic qualifiers and couldn't believe that with one game to go, Moldova, 157th in the world and 181st at the start of the campaign, travel to Czech Republic knowing that a win will get them second place and directly into the finals.

Surely that would be the single biggest upset in the history of any UEFA Qualifying tournament? The group they were drawn into was an absolute shambles but fair fecking play to them if they manage it.

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Was looking last night at potential automatic qualifiers and couldn't believe that with one game to go, Moldova, 157th in the world and 181st at the start of the campaign, travel to Czech Republic knowing that a win will get them second place and directly into the finals.

Surely that would be the single biggest upset in the history of any UEFA Qualifying tournament? The group they were drawn into was an absolute shambles but fair fecking play to them if they manage it.

I'm not a massive fan of WeGlobal, but I saw this and in one sense it was interesting and on the other hand showed how pointless WeGlobal is.

image.png.019448305998655d6465e12cb800e83e.png

3 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, I noticed that one too and it would be an incredible outcome if Albania and Moldova qualified from that group - although no doubt it is partly because Czechia and Poland aren't very good at the moment.  You must surely be right about the Moldovans being the lowest world-ranked team to qualify for a Euros if they manage it.

Iceland got to Euro 2016 at the expense of the Dutch - and with hilarious consequences as we know - but I doubt they were as far down the rankings.

2 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

I'm not a massive fan of WeGlobal, but I saw this and in one sense it was interesting and on the other hand showed how pointless WeGlobal is.

image.png.019448305998655d6465e12cb800e83e.png

Aye, load of nonsense.

They are essentially in a playoff for the finals against a side who aren't great just now and who knows a draw will be enough for them. They'll have a go - so if we are to believe stats, a 2.44% qualifying chance makes Moldova about a 45/1 shot to win tonight? No chance!

2 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Yeah, I noticed that one too and it would be an incredible outcome if Albania and Moldova qualified from that group - although no doubt it is partly because Czechia and Poland aren't very good at the moment.  You must surely be right about the Moldovans being the lowest world-ranked team to qualify for a Euros if they manage it.

Iceland got to Euro 2016 at the expense of the Dutch - and with hilarious consequences as we know - but I doubt they were as far down the rankings.

To add a bit more to this, they were 181st in the world only two years ago and at the point of the draw being made, only Malta, San Marino, Andorra and Liechtenstein were below them in UEFA's ranking.

They were 3 places in the rankings lower than Gibraltar. It would definitely be the biggest shock ever and wouldn't even be close IMO.

Iceland were at least on an upward trajectory and hit a wee bit of a golden generation when they qualified, you can't say Moldova have exactly exploded onto the scene.

Kvaratskhelia picked up his 3rd booking of the qualifiers in their meaningless match v Spain and the euro 2024 qualifiers wiki which I accept isn't the best source suggests that means he'll be suspended for their playoff semi final which would be very funny.

Edited by Pie Of The Month

Just now, Pie Of The Month said:

Kvaratskhelia picked up his 3rd booking of the qualifiers in their meaningless match v Spain and the euro 2024 qualifiers wiki which I accept isn't the best source suggests that means he'll be suspended for their playoff sem final which would be very funny.

Weren't suspensions rescinded before our World Cup play-offs against Ukraine. 

I think they were rescinded so that anyone booked in the semi wouldn't miss the final, but suspensions from the group carried over into the semis. I remember it being a big deal that we had about 8 players on bookings heading into the Denmark game.

Edited by craigkillie

Just now, Pie Of The Month said:

Kvaratskhelia picked up his 3rd booking of the qualifiers in their meaningless match v Spain and the euro 2024 qualifiers wiki which I accept isn't the best source suggests that means he'll be suspended for their playoff sem final which would be very funny.

Path C as it stands is really interesting. 

Greece, Luxembourg, Georgia and one of Kazakhstan or Estonia.

The obvious money is on Greece but the Kazakhs (Who can still get there with a win tonight) and Luxembourg have had good campaigns.

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Weren't suspensions rescinded before our World Cup play-offs against Ukraine. 

As @craigkillie said I think that was just bookings being wiped rather than suspensions from a booking in the final game. Joe Morrell was suspended for Wales semi final v Austria.

The UEFA articles linked as the source in the wiki article don't mention specifically about suspensions from the final qualifier so I think he's out.

Section IX - https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-European-Football-Championship-2022-24/Article-53-UEFA-Disciplinary-Regulations-Online