Euro 2024 - Qualification Thread

jagfox

4 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Apologies if this has already been asked, and I know it was finalised last night, but are Serbia and Albania able to draw each other at the tournament?

They played each other in qualifying a few years ago I think, so I imagine so.

Is it not only Armenia/Azerbaijan, Serbia/Kosovo and Spain/Gibraltar that get kept apart. 

I remember the qualifying match between the two being utterly farcical a few years ago and sort of assumed that UEFA/FIFA would have made some effort to keep them apart, but I suppose that’s a lot easier in qualifying when you’ve got 80 odd teams than it is at a 24 team tournament. 

15 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Why is there a draw for who goes into what playoff? Isn't there a rankings system?

It's complicated, but basically because there aren't an equal number of teams per league entering the playoffs so they have to tinker with it.

More extensive explanation here.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

5 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

Each of those prohibited clashes are due to fallout over recent wars. Except for Gibraltar / Spain. It's just down to the falangist arsehole element within Spain so UEFA pandering to that is disappointing.

USA vs Iran has happened twice at the World Cup without any issues - they should really just tell Spain to suck it up.

Rob Page saying that Wales are glad they have a home tie in their first play-off game because the Cardiff City Stadium is a “fortress”. 

That same “fortress” where they lost 4-2 to Armenia, a result that ultimately led to them praying for a miracle last night. 

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

Tinpot stuff from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67484502

Reeks of 'top Premiership players should get to go to the finals anyway'. And they have included some who may still qualify through play-offs.

"Jonny Evans" FFS

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see some galaxy brained Nigel in the next couple of years advocating for the transfer of players between national teams.

Absolutely see something like that happening in future. Maybe not cash transfers as such but I can see players being allowed to switch allegiance, even having being fully capped, due to residency, ancestry etc. 

It’s happening in international rugby already.

Edited by Tattie36

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

Tinpot stuff from the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67484502

Reeks of 'top Premiership players should get to go to the finals anyway'. And they have included some who may still qualify through play-offs.

Ha ha. Some of the names in that are hilarious. 
If it was good enough for the likes of George Best, Jim Baxter, Jimmy Johnstone, Ryan Giggs, Ian Rush, Mark Hughes etc etc etc, it is good enough for some of those non entities. 

I see it more as them offering some kind of "dream team" made up of players that didn't make it.  That seems like the sort of absolutely w**k solution that modern football would come up with.  International football is already the red-headed step-child to the sort of people who have serious conversations about their fantasy team, so what better way to drum up interest than to completely piss all over everything?

That and changing allegiance.  Harder to get working, but wouldn't put it past them.

14 minutes ago, forameus said:

I see it more as them offering some kind of "dream team" made up of players that didn't make it.  That seems like the sort of absolutely w**k solution that modern football would come up with.  International football is already the red-headed step-child to the sort of people who have serious conversations about their fantasy team, so what better way to drum up interest than to completely piss all over everything?

That and changing allegiance.  Harder to get working, but wouldn't put it past them.

Perhaps an 'Excluded Premiership XI'?

I'm always struck by the online army of armchair 'fans' of big money Premiership teams and their orchestrated protestations of woe at ANOTHER international break when they can't watch their Frankenteam on telly.

Perhaps the Excluded Premiership XI would engage them.