Why do I not have a Scottish accent?

1 minute ago, AmericanFan said:

Those that descended from those who came over from Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales etc. lost their accents at some point?

Any idea why?

Maybe you do, and it's us that changed.

Edit: I remember reading a theory that the "I do declare!" types in the Deep South are likely closer to the Scottish accent than we are now. Frankly, I refuse to believe it.

Edited by BTFD

Exposure to other accents.

The way we talk is influenced by the people around us. That's why people who live abroad for years sometimes end up losing their accent.

I didn't have a Scottish accent until I was about 14. I used to have an English accent because I lived in England and didn't live in Scotland until I was 12.

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Exposure to other accents.

The way we talk is influenced by the people around us. That's why people who live abroad for years sometimes end up losing their accent.

I didn't have a Scottish accent until I was about 14. I used to have an English accent because I lived in England and didn't live in Scotland until I was 12.

In most cases yes, probably. My Aunt has lived down south (Cumbria) for as long as I can remember (easily the best part of 30 years a  least) and still has a Scottish Accent. 

Living around people with other accents, many of whom were not British or Irish. That'll cause it to change. 

I remember reading that the Scouse accent came into being due to Irish and also Welsh immigration into Liverpool. Prior to that, the accent was broadly similar to the Lancashire accent. 

Edited by Michael W

7 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Living around people with other accents, many of whom were not British or Irish. That'll cause ot to change. 

I remember reading that the Scouse accent came into being due to Irish and also Welsh immigration into Liverpool. Prior to that, the accent was broadly similar to the Lancashire accent. 

Sometimes the Scouse accent and North Dublin accent can be indiscernible. 

Im also fascinated by the similarity between Australian and Cockney

Pal of mine at primary school had just come back from an early years stint in the US, North Carolina I think - his dad worked for IBM - and despite being born in Scotland to Scottish parents, by the time he joined us in P2/3 he was distinctly exotic to the girls in the class with his broad American drawl. He’d also become a connoisseur of the  McDonalds menu before any of us even knew what that was!