Alloa Athletic vs. Queens

44 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's not at all obvious, but it makes sense as an explanation.  Is the suggestion that it came off Murray? 

Some might have expected it to pass right through him.

Not sure. Looks most likely. Players said it took a deflection. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Its not massively obvious from the highlights angle but it apparently got a deflection, carrying it into the corner when it was initially going wherd he knelt down.

It did take a deflection, my son was a ball boy standing right behind the goal and he said it took a deflection. My initial thought as well was the keeper  could have done better with it,  

Good highlights from Alloa.

It looked a soft goal to lose but you can see that Kevin knelt down to collect what he anticipated to be a fairly straightforward shot more or less straight at him, only for a deflection (not obvious from the camera view) to leave him stranded. It happens.

49 minutes ago, Wee wasp said:

It did take a deflection, my son was a ball boy standing right behind the goal and he said it took a deflection. My initial thought as well was the keeper  could have done better with it,  

Fair enough.

The goalkeeper is not to be blamed then.  

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's not at all obvious, but it makes sense as an explanation.  Is the suggestion that it came off Murray? 

Some might have expected it to pass right through him.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure. Looks most likely. Players said it took a deflection. 🤷‍♂️

Actually on watching it again, its Hendrie closing him down who deflects it, not Murray who is at the other side of the box.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Actually on watching it again, its Hendrie closing him down who deflects it, not Murray who is at the other side of the box.

Ah, I wondered.

That explains why it did actually deflect.  Hendrie must be composed of matter.

Can we get your keeper and Paton? I agree with a few of the queens fans about Paton being MOM. Great physicality for his size, gave our defenders a torrid time, hard working and can score (even if the first was handball at the block)

Hogarth has been Rice’s biggest mistake this year imo, getting a loan boy in from Rangers that has to be played when we had Muir. Guys made some decent saves but is too often a liability, costing goals from nothing. 
At their second Stanger should have done better but dancing boy Robertson has to do something to stop the cross. Get close and stop backing off all the time. 

I thought Alloa played very well offensively and created enough chances to win five games. Just need to be more clinical or make the goals bigger lol. Still think that second shot of the bar bounced down over the line.
 It’s a shame that we couldn’t get the result as it would have taken QOS out of the play off battle. 

Kelty next up, fourth place is still in our hands. Can we get the points needed given we’ve still to face the top two- hopefully they are already thinking of summer holidays and resting players for the play offs. 

I think some of the abuse towards Hogarth has been over the top. Yes he has made some errors, including that awful mistake on Saturday, but has had some really good performances in goal, behind a fairly poor defence.

I fully believe in people being able to say what they want, paying enough for the privilege, but he is only 19 and shouting at him is going to shatter his confidence further.

As for Muir I thought he would be a great signing but got injured early and when he was given his chance for games at Kelty and Edinburgh was really poor. 

Also disagree this was Rice's biggest mistake, much worse IMO is the constant playing players out of position, retaining players that were poor last season and not getting better striker options, especially when Offord went back to St Mirren.

50 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

Also disagree this was Rice's biggest mistake, much worse IMO is the constant playing players out of position, retaining players that were poor last season and not getting better striker options, especially when Offord went back to St Mirren.

I agree with the first and last point. It's understandable if injuries force others to play out of position but it's been a bit frustrating when we've had a mostly fit squad.

Think Offord was a bit underused when he was here and that was probably one of the reasons he was recalled. Rodden's injury didn't help either and LD been injured/playing with an injury. Sammo and MacIver aren't prolific goal scorers (think this is Sammons 2nd best goal tally in his career?) but particularly MacIver, offer something top winning headers and holding up play.

I can't think of anyone we kept from last season that was poor off the top of my head. I was a bit surprised we resigned Churchy but he's been a different player this season. Could see him moving to a full time team next season. 

1 hour ago, Alloamad said:

Hogarth has been Rice’s biggest mistake this year imo, getting a loan boy in from Rangers that has to be played when we had Muir. Guys made some decent saves but is too often a liability, costing goals from nothing.

Utter rubbish. He made a couple of mistakes in the first few league games and since then has barely put a foot wrong, can’t remember the last time before Saturday he actually made a mistake that led to a goal so if you could remind me of when that was that would be nice. This idea that some people have got that Willie Muir who couldn’t get a game for Queen’s Park last year and has been shaky at best for us when he started this season would suddenly be the answer, is nonsense as well.

If you have a young keeper on loan you have to expect that they are still learning and are likely to make a few errors throughout the season, and have to hope that they can make up for that by developing and making some great saves, which IMO Hogarth has done. Experienced keepers aren’t exactly exempt from making mistakes either, like Hutton last year for example.

Utter rubbish is your opinion, I don’t share it.  Clyde game, soft goal to concede, far too late going for it, didn’t cost us that time. I also made the point that he’s made some good saves. I still do think that it’s been rices biggest mistake this year, Muir is a better keeper. I’m sure Hogarth will improve but we had better. He’s been super erratic coming for crosses and missing, coming out and been left star fishing in no man’s land. Also guilty of not making sure when leaving shots he thinks are going wide. 
So what do you think has been his biggest mistake this season if not the keeper?

Edited by Alloamad

2 hours ago, Magic Hat said:

I think some of the abuse towards Hogarth has been over the top. Yes he has made some errors, including that awful mistake on Saturday, but has had some really good performances in goal, behind a fairly poor defence.

I’m not aware of any over the top abuse directed towards him, just a sense of frustration at times from fans and players alike. The defence may have been more settled in front of a more commanding, experienced keeper. 

On 08/04/2023 at 16:58, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes.

A huge win for us.  It's still feels unlikely because we have yet to visit both Dunfermline and Airdrie, who remain on fire, but it really is possible now for us to reach the play-offs.

Worth noting that we still have Dunfermline and Falkirk to play too. 

Frustrating game on Saturday from an alloa point of view. Despite dominating the ball for large points of the game queens could have easily gone in at half time 3 or 4 goals to the good. 

Alloa were really on top for the last 15 minutes or so though and in that time hit the bar twice and forced two other top class saves from the queens goalkeeper. 

Looking at the last 4 games I suspect a minimum of 6 points will be needed, with both the top 2 still to be played I think we have a very much must win game this weekend. 

1 minute ago, Half Time Show said:

Worth noting that we still have Dunfermline and Falkirk to play too. 

Airdrie look a more daunting proposition than Falkirk right now though.  Both of our games that I mentioned are also away from home, whereas Alloa's against the top 2 are at home.  

We'll also face Dunfermline when they're still securing the title, rather than afterwards.

I suppose it's splitting hairs, but I'd still see our run in as a bit more demanding, even leaving aside that we're 3 points back with a worse goal difference.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Airdrie look a more daunting proposition than Falkirk right now though.  Both of our games that I mentioned are also away from home, whereas Alloa's against the top 2 are at home.  

We'll also face Dunfermline when they're still securing the title, rather than afterwards.

I suppose it's splitting hairs, but I'd still see our run in as a bit more demanding, even leaving aside that we're 3 points back with a worse goal difference.

Yeah, I definitely agree that you have the harder run in than us, with the goal difference and the 3 points difference if we take 6 out of 12 available points then we should be able to keep you at arms length. 

Falkirk I believe haven't won a league match in over a month now but will have to pick up form soon as Airdrie are well within touching distance of taking 3rd place from them. 

4 hours ago, Alloamad said:

Great physicality for his size, gave our defenders a torrid time, hard working and can score (even if the first was handball at the block)

Yeah, there's absolutely no chance that was a handball.