Annan v Dumbarton 8/4/23

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

This one could be a real disaster. I reckon we’ll genuinely be struggling to field a starting 11. I assume we can still use trialists? 

It could be if anyone pulls up at training this week.  I'm not sure about trialists, perhaps @Skyline Drifter could advise.

Annan are a very good side and we're struggling for fitness and players just now.  I think Annan are due a win over us this season and it should be now or never.

The away game earlier in the season relied a lot on a good defence, hard work and some good fortune.  Here's hoping for more again.

Wheres Tommy Goss got to?  I noticed he didn't play last week.

Edited by sonsanorak

2 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

How’s Lynch and Mclean after Saturday. If not fit We’re potentially going into this game with a bench comprising of Harry Broun and Luca Vata………. Oh and a big daft lump of wood up front 

Young Jan quotes Faz in this week's Lennox as saying that 'Lynch has done his hamstring' and Ross McLean has an ankle problem.

As regards subs, for me the quality has always been more important than the quantity - I'd much rather have two players who could alter a game than five who can't.  We currently don't have either.

10 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

Annan are a very good side and we're struggling for fitness and players just now.  I think Annan are due a win over us this season and it should be now or never.

The away game earlier in the season relied a lot on a good defence, hard work and some good fortune.  Here's hoping for more again.

Wheres Tommy Goss got to?  I noticed he didn't play last week.

Dislocated collar bone according to the rags

Edited by Sweet Pete

Just reading Peter Murphy's preview in the DG Standard.

Murphy said:"We have Aidan Smith, Tommy Muir, Steven Swinglehurst and Wullie Gibson all struggling while Tommy Goss is out with his dislocated shoulder."

If all of those guys don't make it then they'll be in an almost identical position to us. Without five important players across a range of positions.

We should just merge the teams, play at Galabank in Sons kits and aim to win the playoffs. Even if the newly formed DumbAnnan Athletic don't go up, at least they'll have the best ground and kits in the league.

From our preview:

Edin Lynch and Ross MacLean sustained injuries against Stenny last weekend and join John Gemmell, Stuart Carswell, Declan Byrne and Kalvin Orsi on the sidelines. Joe McKee is the closest of those previously injured players to making tomorrow’s squad.

I make that that we'll have a squad of 14 for tomorrow - including two keepers, a 16-year-old, a disinterested Rusty McLean and a half fit Joe McKee. I've no idea what shape he's in, but I do wonder if we could maybe register Franko as a player to just have on the bench in case of an emergency. Because this is now beyond the bare bones.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Whats the deal with Byrne, did we rush him back too soon or is he just broken? 

I think he's just broken to be honest. But I'll check with Faz tomorrow.

He played 70 minutes or so in the Stenny game, then was rested the Saturday down at Stranraer and only played the last 20. So it must've been something that happened in training, or a reaction to the Stranraer game. I clocked that he only played 17 games last season too - and none after March. So I reckon he's just injury prone, which is a massive shame. If he'd been fit he'd have hit double figures for us this season imo.

3 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think he's just broken to be honest. But I'll check with Faz tomorrow.

He played 70 minutes or so in the Stenny game, then was rested the Saturday down at Stranraer and only played the last 20. So it must've been something that happened in training, or a reaction to the Stranraer game. I clocked that he only played 17 games last season too - and none after March. So I reckon he's just injury prone, which is a massive shame. If he'd been fit he'd have hit double figures for us this season imo.

Yip, the difference he makes to our style of play is huge. Really hoped we'd have him back for the run in. 

14 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I do wonder if we could maybe register Franko as a player to just have on the bench in case of an emergency. Because this is now beyond the bare bones.

Well not now you can't. Barring special permission from the League Management Committee you can't field anybody signed after 31st March this season. If he had been registered before that date you could. He wasn't though.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well not now you can't. Barring special permission from the League Management Committee you can't field anybody signed after 31st March this season. If he had been registered before that date you could. He wasn't though.

Ah well, that's that one out the window then.

27 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Ah well, that's that one out the window then.

Also, the fact that Frank has had various operations to try to get back to play but none have worked. Barring a miracle, he is well and truly retired. On a coaching note, Eric Phillips was previously on the Stranraer bench as a trialist (I know he can't be a trialist now). 

1 minute ago, TAFKAC said:

Also, the fact that Frank has had various operations to try to get back to play but none have worked. Barring a miracle, he is well and truly retired. On a coaching note, Eric Phillips was previously on the Stranraer bench as a trialist (I know he can't be a trialist now). 

Ah, I knew he'd had a lot of problems with injury - but didn't know that it had totally finished him off. I just assumed it had taken its toll and he'd decided to call it a day.

We could've done the old Jim Duffy trick and had two keepers on the bench to just bulk it up :lol:

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Ah, I knew he'd had a lot of problems with injury - but didn't know that it had totally finished him off. I just assumed it had taken its toll and he'd decided to call it a day.

We could've done the old Jim Duffy trick and had two keepers on the bench to just bulk it up :lol:

There's a little mention of McKeown's injury here. I think it might have been impacting on his day job as well.

https://stranraerfc.org/totd-frank-mckeown/