Bonnyrigg Rose vs Dumbarton

Bonnyrigg Rose vs Dumbarton   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/04/23 at 14:00

Smashing win. Good to see both strikers scoring. And big Rusty scoring the sort of goal he scored countless times against us. A cracking finish.

Bonnyrigg totally lost their heads after the opener and just started taking bodies. Culminating in big Alieu Faye smashing Peter Grant in the final seconds. I've no idea what their coaching staff were arguing about at the final whistle, but it was all a bit unnecessary for a team who weren't at the races all day.

Hopefully we can build a wee bit of momentum from here, because that performance was far more like it.

Big Rusty hitting form ahead of the play offs. Guys like him will be the difference in the play offs. We started really strong, credit to the players for putting a shift running up and down hills all day. Ice baths required for Tuesday.

Peter Grant was switched on from the moment he ran on to warm up. Really professional and really impressed by his attitude to our situation. How he never got kept on at Clyde I'll never know.

14 minutes ago, TamCarson said:

Big Rusty hitting form ahead of the play offs. Guys like him will be the difference in the play offs. We started really strong, credit to the players for putting a shift running up and down hills all day. Ice baths required for Tuesday.

Peter Grant was switched on from the moment he ran on to warm up. Really professional and really impressed by his attitude to our situation. How he never got kept on at Clyde I'll never know.

Agreed about Rusty, I think he's improved every game.  He took his chance today very well.

Hopefully we can bring our strongest squad back and kick on for the play offs

8 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Where’s that c**t who told us the bookies knew something we didn’t when they made Bonnyrigg favourites?

You should have backed Dumbarton big Time to win the league ya fanny? See you next year you bell end

16 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Where’s that c**t who told us the bookies knew something we didn’t when they made Bonnyrigg favourites?

It was db11, who is showing his maturity this evening by handing out the red dots to Dumbarton supporters.

33 minutes ago, db11 said:

You should have backed Dumbarton big Time to win the league ya fanny? See you next year you bell end

Get it right up ye. 

On 04/12/2022 at 00:07, Red Rose said:

Don’t think Dumbarton had a shot on goal. Seen them twice and offer nothing. Poor team. Pretty confident we’ll finish above them this season. 

Get it right up you anaw.

Anyway. That was an unexpectedly enjoyable day. We were good value for the win, and probably should've had the game tied up inside about 20 minutes with some of the chances we created.

It's stating the obvious, but Declan Byrne, Kalvin Orsi and David Wilson transform us. And if Deco wasn't made of glass then we'd be a fair whack closer to Stirling (probably not top, but certainly not as far back as we are.)

He completely changes the way we play. He's always working, he's always anticipating a mistake and, if you were a defender, you'd constantly be on your toes with him.

I said afterwards that he was the only player we have who would've scored the goal. He watched the defender misjudge a cross and was then razor sharp to produce a really clever headed finish. It was an excellent bit of striking play, the kind of thing you can't teach.

Div Wilson was spraying passes around and opening up wee pockets of space for himself. He sent Byrne in on goal after about 30 seconds and the penalty save was the only blot on his copybook. He used the ball really intelligently and, like Byrne, changes us as a team.

If Byrne has a striker's intelligence, Div Wilson has the vision and composure then Kalvin Orsi is far less subtle. But he's great fun to watch.

He was barnstorming at times, driving directly at defenders, fizzing balls into the box and genuinely being a real threat all afternoon. We've missed him so badly in recent weeks, and it's a shame our pitch is such a bog that restricts him, because he's like a racehorse in full flow with a bit of green to run into.

Those three enhanced us massively; but Gregor Buchanan and Peter Grant are worthy of a mention too. Straight from the warm-up Grant had a focused intensity about him, and looked like he wasn't going to leave with anything other than three points. 

Bucky, aside from a weird period where he and Zander Murray seemed determined to just fight each other, was dominant in the air, dominant on the deck and barely lost a tackle. When he plays well then we play well and we win games. It's very simple.

A wee word for Rusty McLean too. That's the guy I thought we were getting! His goal was absolutely lovely. Breezing beyond a challenge and stroking in a lovely composed finish from an angle. Hopefully the big man can kick on, because he looked like the guy who had impressed me so much at Peterhead and Montrose.

All that being said, Bonnyrigg were very, very poor. They offered next to no serious threat, and their defence always looked likely to present you with a chance.

There's no doubt there's fight in that team. They worked their arses off for the cause. But there's so little quality. Their tactics seemed to involve getting on at the ref, winning soft fouls and then trying to nab a goal from a set-piece. I'm not surprised they've struggle to find the net this season.

Once we got the goal, that tactic seemed to switch to just taking bodies and then getting angry when fouls were given. I've absolutely no idea what their issues were with the ref, but there was a lot of anger at full-time - perhaps coming from frustration at such a below-par performance in a winnable game.

Zander Murray dropping in a heap holding his face in attempt to get Bucky sent off at the dugouts was absolutely mortifying behaviour. As was the big lad at the back who launched himself to the floor after a touch from Declan Byrne, only to get a pitying glance from the ref. I can't be doing with stuff like that at all. It's League Two, stop trying to get your opponents sent-off.

As for big Alieu Faye. Wow. What a cameo. His flying elbow on Peter Grant looked really, really ugly. And I was glad Grant wasn't seriously hurt - you never want to see both physios having to come on.

All that being said, I do hope Bonnyrigg avoid the drop. As I've mentioned before, I think that they are a good addition to the league in terms of stature. They aren't bankrolled by Mr Moneybags and they should, with time, be able to become a solid League Two side.

I like Robbie Horn and there are some lovely friendly folk there. But they'll need some major squad rebuilding over the summer - and elements of their support might want to drop the blaming of officials and look a bit closer to home.