14 years ago this week,relegated to Conference today a win away from Championship play offs again KNEES UP LUTON TOWN

chink

2 hours ago, Raven said:

Interesting take on it as the club started with a 30 point deduction and a last day rush to get a bunch of loan players in once the embargo was lifted. And you'd be hard pushed to find anyone at the club with a negative word to say about that manager.

A lot of people I worked with were long term season ticket holders, proper die hards who all pretty much said that. The 30 points was an epic deduction and its very easy to point the finger at the FA in fact some Luton fans don't support England anymore. 

Reistically there was all kinds of incompetence going in behind the scenes at the club. 

On 16/04/2023 at 14:29, pub car king said:

When they got relegated out the league the tears and snotters rivaled anything you saw at castle grayskull from old co. 

If they'd had a decent manager that season they would have stayed up they had the players to band league 2 is shite at the best of times. 

not really the same though   Luton never exactly spent silly money they never had to win league titles,no comparison  look at the fines handed out to West Ham around then for Tevezs signing      why punish a small club for being skint as badly as that   just found it very hard  as a business like lots have     but 30 pts was fucking mental     Luton have got one of the smallest catchment areas you could imagine  despite 200,000  in the Town   we are a very local side, im proud as f**k of the place never going to be fashionable thank f**k

On 16/04/2023 at 18:56, pub car king said:

A lot of people I worked with were long term season ticket holders, proper die hards who all pretty much said that. The 30 points was an epic deduction and its very easy to point the finger at the FA in fact some Luton fans don't support England anymore. 

Reistically there was all kinds of incompetence going in behind the scenes at the club. 

Mental   John Gurney and the "public" vote to appoint Newall with the intentions of killing the club off  was frightening      suppose its been a fight for survival since the days of the team moving to Milton Keynes

On 16/04/2023 at 14:19, craigkillie said:

What happened when you lost in the Conference play-offs to York?

at Wembley or when a  bunch of kids got  a bit excited ?   

On 16/04/2023 at 18:56, pub car king said:

Loads of Luton follow England   The FA are disliked and some paranoia regarding them hating Luton but never heard anyone turn against England, this Town is full of 2nd generation Irish west Indian and Scottish who follow England  

On 16/04/2023 at 17:06, Derry Alli said:

I like Luton, their ground is tinpot as fuck but stick having them up. We don't want another Blackpool on our hands.

wasnt much different when the Kohlerdome was announced  60000 capacity   removable roof   all pish

On 16/04/2023 at 01:47, Raven said:

Not in everyone's interests. Capital & Regional, owners of the mall in the town centre, fought to prevent it, particularly Newlands Park. Thankfully they're gone.

Laughing at the idea of Luton having a sense of entitlement though. It's been a running joke since they start moving back up the leagues the number of opposing managers/ players/ supporters who come away with the catchphrase they should be beating "teams like Luton".

wasnt just them Milton Keynes and Watford shopping centres owner opposed it    i mean fucksake who shops in the Arndale unless necessary absolute Ghetto

On 16/04/2023 at 09:08, Dunfermline Don said:

I am old enough to remember when they were established in the top flight.

I remember going there as an away fan following Palace in the early 90s, so what I hear you say, but visiting fans were actually banned from Kenilworth Road at the time. 

I managed to get the tickets via a friend that I went to Selhurst with who knew a Hatter at his work. We went to the ground not knowing what to expect, no colours were worn but it was obvious that we weren’t home fans.

When we got in the ground there were probably about 100 other Palace fans dotted around the main stand and a few chants of ‘Eagles, Eagles!’ were heard.  It was a few weeks before the FA Cup Final appearance.

Luton won the game and I am pretty sure that they would have been relegated if they had lost that day. From what I remember they also won the next game to stay up.

It’s good to see them on the way up again. 

I'm old enough to remember them getting relegated to Division 4 in 1965 - the first former First Division club to do that (apart from Bradford Park Avenue and Notts County, I suppose). Luton had been a First Division club in 1959/60.

Edited by Jacksgranda

On 16/04/2023 at 12:56, Crawford Bridge said:

Ah right, I see. 

I suppose it could've also been a biggest shit holes of England sticker album, featuring Luton, Preston, Castleford and Hull. 

work all over England and without any bias id sat Luton isn't near the bottom 20     easy pickings  

3 minutes ago, chink said:

work all over England and without any bias id sat Luton isn't near the bottom 20     easy pickings  

Fair enough. 

I stand by my opinion of Preston though . Easily the worst town in the UK I've had the misfortune of experiencing. 

48 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I'm old enough to remember them getting relegated to Division 4 in 1965 - the first former First Division club to do that (apart from Bradford Park Avenue and Notts County, I suppose). Luton had been a First Division club in 1959/60.

Lost in the 1959 FA Cup Final    Elton Johns uncle scored for Forest

58 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

No doubt you'll remember Wolves managing the feat later in successive seasons. I'm only old enough to remember Brian Stein winning the League Cup (although somehow my brain remembers it being the Milk Cup...which seemed perfectly cromulent sponsorship to a small child, but imagine if we had the Apples Trophy or Bread Shield now).

Anyway, congratulations to both Luton and @General dissaray, who no doubt has worked out which members of their squad are still eligible for a Scotland call-up.

On 15/04/2023 at 22:30, pub car king said:

If Luton go up it could ruin them, if they chase the dream. 

They need to spend millions to make Kennilworth Road usable as a ground even for a couple of seasons

I'm sure I read somewhere it would need around £10m spent on it to be suitable.

£10m, however, is chump change for the EPL.

1 hour ago, Lurkst said:

Can't have a Luton thread without...

FamousImpressiveAztecant-size_restricted

Raddy Antic who scored the Luton goal that day was the first person i believe to manage Spain's big 3 

On 16/04/2023 at 14:29, pub car king said:

When they got relegated out the league the tears and snotters rivaled anything you saw at castle grayskull from old co. 

If they'd had a decent manager that season they would have stayed up they had the players to band league 2 is shite at the best of times. 

Mid Table   if no points deducted and if League 2 is shite hen the conference is horrible  

Screenshot 2023-04-20 015954.png

Edited by chink

20 hours ago, chink said:

Mid Table   if no points deducted and if League 2 is shite hen the conference is horrible  

Screenshot 2023-04-20 015954.png

It's pretty obvious with the 30 point deduction that it means winning 10 games (or getting points from draws) just to get started on chasing down the other teams. What quickly also became obvious is, you're gonna see visiting teams coming to waste time right from the first whistle to hang on to a draw. The conference was great compared to that.

On 20/04/2023 at 22:45, Raven said:

It's pretty obvious with the 30 point deduction that it means winning 10 games (or getting points from draws) just to get started on chasing down the other teams. What quickly also became obvious is, you're gonna see visiting teams coming to waste time right from the first whistle to hang on to a draw. The conference was great compared to that.

we took some awful hidings in that 5 years  came up against a defensively superb Stevenage the first season   woeful the 2nd  Crawley and Fleetwood were big money teams compared  to us in the following years   great bit of business regarding Andre Grey among others    the knocking  out of Norwich was the best game i have experienced that includes Celtic beating Real in 1980 and Love St 86