Doonhamers vs. Gable Endies

On 22/04/2023 at 20:29, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, fair enough.

I suppose it comes down to a subtle distinction between a foul being deliberate, and one not involving an attempt to play the ball.  In most instances that would amount to the same thing, but as we're seeing, not necessarily in all cases.

You win the empty hoose stakes. 😉

Out of interest, did you think it was a clumsy clattering by Brydon, or a clear push?

Depends how you want to define a "push". I didn't have the best angle as I was behind him really but I didn't think he used his hands in it. I think he leaned into him to try to put him off his stride. There may or may not have been some levering with his arm? I don't think it matters much, I didn't doubt that he did it deliberately. I don't think it was clumsy. It's a fine line between leaning on him just enough to disrupt him without actually fouling. He did exactly the same at Dunfermline last week after Hendrie made an arse of a back pass and tried to put Wighton off. He got away with that one, he didn't today. If a ref was feeling charitable he might have said it wasn't a foul but once he gives a foul it's 100% a red card.

EDITED to add, last week, Wighton, who was heading away from goal slightly, got a shot away anyway and horribly sliced it into the stand as a result of Brydon leaning on him. But because he got the shot off the ref was not inclined to award a penalty, and even if he had he might not have got red because Wighton wasn't actually bearing down on goal. This week McAllister feeling the contact, and being the wise old head he is, went down and forced the decision. Possibly because he's the penalty taker anyway and it's still him going to score. That made it a lot harder for the ref NOT to give it.

EDITED again now I've actually seen side on footage to concede he absolutely does shove him. So yes, it's a push. Even more obvious red card than I first thought. Oh, and it's Brown, not McAllister.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Given how dreadful this season has been (again) there's something very apt about our two scorers both subsequently making idiotic decisions that pretty much cost us the match. 

There is.  It's almost impressive.

It's whatever the opposite of a redemption arc is.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Although it was totally lost among - and rendered irrelevant by - subsequent events, Connelly's cross for our first goal was magnificent.

I'd forgotten all about it until it suddenly occurred to me there.

It was. He played well in his 1st half cameo before being sacrificed for Morrison. He should have scored twice though with the close range header wide then the chip over the top.

14 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It was. He played well in his 1st half cameo before being sacrificed for Morrison. He should have scored twice though with the close range header wide then the chip over the top.

Yes we looked like scoring every time we went forward during the first part of the match.  This continued for a while even after the penalty and sending off.  If Connelly's lob had made it 3-1, things might have unfolded differently.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes we looked like scoring every time we went forward during the first part of the match.  This continued for a while even after the penalty and sending off.  If Connelly's lob had made it 3-1, things might have unfolded differently.

Yes, like I said earlier, there's a lot of fans complaining we didn't put Morrison on as soon as Brydon went off but for a period we simply shifted into a 4 and continued to make chances. It's understandable that he left it like that until the 2nd Montrose goal. Maybe if we'd got to ht in front we'd have gone more conservative but by the time we did the game was gone. We defended better once we went back to a five but even before the Hendrie red card, we'd long since ceased being much of a threat.

I did think the Montrose free kick that led to the 2nd goal was soft. It was still a free kick almost in front of their bench though, we've simply got to defend that better. It is however exactly the kind of ball Jack Brydon's been attacking for the last 3 months. In his absence nobody did.

I think the criticism of Brydon is a bit unfair. From my point of view, I thought the forward slowed to take the shot and Brydon ran into the back of him. Happens all the time in these situations. I do think the red card was justified but don't think Brydon could have done much about it (apart from not let the guy in behind him in the first place!).

Maybe just my take on the Brydon  incident, no real complaint about the penalty award but I didn't think the Ref was going to send him off until a few Montrose players had a word in his ear. It wasn't exactly an instant action showing Brydon the card. Also how many times do you see a ref telling players to come further up the line when taking a throw-in, it's usually when they're trying to steal yards further up that Refs interfere. I know throws are supposed to be taken from where the ball goes out but usually if its taken from further back they normally let it go. 

11 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Given how dreadful this season has been (again) there's something very apt about our two scorers both subsequently making idiotic decisions that pretty much cost us the match. 

Honestly you really couldn’t make it up.

Good to get the win yesterday at a very difficult venue we have struggled at over the past few years.

Friday events were awful for the club and for the officials that were their to see what happened to their friend must have been tragic.

Wasn't at the game but reading the posts on here:

Brydon's red - doesn't make him a poor player. This is the sort of thing you'll get early on in a young lad's career. This is where Marvin will coach him, and where he needs to learn from his mistakes. Good decision making in key moments is a key attribute.

Hendrie's red - if it was a red mist moment then Marvin needs to give him the hair dryer treatment. Hendrie doesn't have the excuse of being a young player learning his trade - he's experienced and should've known better. Simples. I doubt we'll see him next season.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

Good to get the win yesterday at a very difficult venue we have struggled at over the past few years.

Friday events were awful for the club and for the officials that were their to see what happened to their friend must have been tragic.

Agreed. The Mo were there for the taking in view of the awful time in the last few days and with a threadbare squad which had only one outfield player on the subs bench apart from two youth team players. Queens were their own enemies on the day and the referee was awful as well but Queens fans deserve better than that. For Montrose it would be a better long trip home after a trying time. For Queens fans who wonder what the fuss is about it's because a very important member at MFC sadly passed away suddenly and unexpectedly.

1 minute ago, MOFOREVER said:

Agreed. The Mo were there for the taking in view of the awful time in the last few days and with a threadbare squad which had only one outfield player on the subs bench apart from two youth team players. Queens were their own enemies on the day and the referee was awful as well but Queens fans deserve better than that. For Montrose it would be a better long trip home after a trying time. For Queens fans who wonder what the fuss is about it's because a very important member at MFC sadly passed away suddenly and unexpectedly.

There was a minute silence before the game. Our website had a small piece on saying the clubs had both agreed for the game to go ahead after discussing the possibility of postponing it. 

I assumed he had passed away at home but @mo83 post there makes it sound like it happened publicly? Awful for everyone if that was the case. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I assumed he had passed away at home but @mo83 post there makes it sound like it happened publicly? Awful for everyone if that was the case. 

It was very public unfortunately. A horrendous experience for everyone involved. Condolences to his family and all at Montrose.

34 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It was very public unfortunately. A horrendous experience for everyone involved. Condolences to his family and all at Montrose.

That's horrific. Hopefully everyone who was in attendance are ok as well. 

3 hours ago, MOFOREVER said:

For Queens fans who wonder what the fuss is about it's because a very important member at MFC sadly passed away suddenly and unexpectedly.

Cheers for explaining. Don't know (or need to know) the details here but sufficient to add my condolences to all close to the person. The fitba's just a game after all ... some things are much more important.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

There was a minute silence before the game. Our website had a small piece on saying the clubs had both agreed for the game to go ahead after discussing the possibility of postponing it. 

Yeah you have probably heard by now but it wasn't a great way to end their golf day out for the club...Poor man.