Dundee Utd v Livi

On 18/04/2023 at 12:19, Alert Mongoose said:

Choice A - we win this and stop Livi getting top six but we go down

Who would replace Tam McManus in this scenario?

I'm asking for a friend.

Tam McManus is not my friend.

We'll be 4-2-3-1 again for this and probably an unchanged selection too. There's only two possible changes I see a small chance of being made. Firstly, De Lucas in for Boyes with the thinking being De Lucas might deal better with Fletcher. I hope not, though, as I'm a huge fan of Boyes and I think he's fine against target man-style opponents. Also Shinnie might be replaced by a presser, either Omeonga or Pittman. They'd then be instructed to press high onto Sibbald when Utd have the ball. Again, I'd be disappointed to see that as Shinnie's long passing from deep has given us a new dimension in recent times. You do lose a bit defensively with him instead of Omeonga or Pittman but I think the extra creative output compensates. 

McGrath and Behich are particular threats and we'll need Holt and Devlin to be on their game defensively. Utd's right is noticeably weaker than their left so expect us to focus our attacking down that side with Nouble and Montaño.

Two evenly matched sides and that'd normally make a draw the most obvious result. Yet because Livi need a win here our tactics might go a bit boom or bust, especially second half. That then makes either side winning more likely than the draw.

On 18/04/2023 at 15:17, ATLIS said:

To be fair, if we don’t make top 6, I would rather see Dundee Utd relegated just to take another team with a decent chunk of money out the league 

Huh? And swap them with us and/or Glasgow Gretna?

6 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Huh? And swap them with us and/or Glasgow Gretna?

To be fair I can't see Dundee spending the same amount of money Utd did this season so I'd be fine with that. f**k knows what Glasgow Gretna would end up doing but they're (selfishly) preferable to having Utd in the league for me just on the grounds of  better odds on us staying up. 

Killie/St Johnstone down in the playoff and Dundee Utd down is best case scenario for us I think

Edited by ATLIS

TBH I think everyone in the in the Premiership has a budget bigger than ours; that's possibly true for maybe four championship sides.

Although United "strengthened" last summer, presumably in anticipation of European football, the only players they actually spent real money on was Levett; Middleton and Birighitti (I'll stand corrected if I've missed anyone).

At the moment spending power, unless its obscene spending power AKA Old Firm, doesn't seem to count for much in reality.

What is more concerning is, on Saturday we face a team with their tails up after consecutive wins PLUS I think we have Dallas on VAR?

18 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

We'll be 4-2-3-1 again for this and probably an unchanged selection too. There's only two possible changes I see a small chance of being made. Firstly, De Lucas in for Boyes with the thinking being De Lucas might deal better with Fletcher. I hope not, though, as I'm a huge fan of Boyes and I think he's fine against target man-style opponents. Also Shinnie might be replaced by a presser, either Omeonga or Pittman. They'd then be instructed to press high onto Sibbald when Utd have the ball. Again, I'd be disappointed to see that as Shinnie's long passing from deep has given us a new dimension in recent times. You do lose a bit defensively with him instead of Omeonga or Pittman but I think the extra creative output compensates. 

McGrath and Behich are particular threats and we'll need Holt and Devlin to be on their game defensively. Utd's right is noticeably weaker than their left so expect us to focus our attacking down that side with Nouble and Montaño.

Two evenly matched sides and that'd normally make a draw the most obvious result. Yet because Livi need a win here our tactics might go a bit boom or bust, especially second half. That then makes either side winning more likely than the draw.

I hope we don't start cagey, like we did in the St Mirren game, allowing Utd to dominate early possession and come at us, we need to get stuck right in about them and look for Montano's penetrating runs combining with Anderson and Nouble, reckon we'd get an early goal playing positively from the off. Shinnie had a decent game against St Johnstone, particularly after we scored, but i'd still prefer to see Omeonga starting, to give us that aggression in midfield winning the ball.

3 hours ago, Durnford said:

What is more concerning is, on Saturday we face a team with their tails up after consecutive wins PLUS I think we have Dallas on VAR?

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

And Clancy is the ref 😩

I think most fans recognise that the officials can change a game with bizarre decisions. No matter the referee named, fans of almost all clubs groan at the announcements.